Trusted Contributor

Re: Anyone not doing anything for Thanksgiving?

Just me. 

Honored Contributor

@MarieIG wrote:

@gidgetgh wrote:

Just me and my husband tomorrow. Grilled cheese sandwiches, pumpkin pie for him and cheesecake for me.  

Gonna be a lonnnnnng day. 

Not trying to be poor pitiful Pearl (remember the doll?) here. It is what it is. 

Sounds like a nice, relaxing day with your honey.

@gidgetgh OH NO!  I had one of those dolls!  I don't know why or who bought it for me, but I remember her well!  It scarred me for life!  Woman Very Happy

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm  divorced, and my children and grands live hours from me, so I won't see them.  One of my sisters invited me to join her family tomorrow...so I will make a sweet potato casserole in the morning and head to her house.  I love her dearly, and appreciate the invitation.

Before Thanksgiving and Christmas I always make sure I have a turkey breast in the freezer, a box of Stove Top, and a can of cranberries in the cupboard.  Then, if the weather is bad and I can't get out, I can throw together a festive little meal for myself here in the apartment, and enjoy Christmas movies!

I embrace whatever holiday God chooses to send me each year....and they are varied!  But there is always a bit of fun and peace in them all, no matter how they turn out.  

Honored Contributor

@KailaS wrote:

i have been alone for most holidays over the last four years. Yes, my 93 year old mom is still alive and I will spend time with her, but mentally and socially she has her challenges, so there is never a relaxing meal of any type. Tonight I took over a small pan pizza for each of us ( she has been talking about pizza for weeks), but she does not sit at the table, keeps going into different rooms, and jumps from topic to topic if there is any conversation at all. It is not her fault, but holidays do become challenging. 

I probably will bake tomorrow ( and take mom cookies). I may make soup too. That ability to do what I wish is my favorite part of holidays.  😃

Grilled cheese ( with tomato soup) sounds like a great idea.

@KailaS It is a hard hard thing you are going through.  I hope you and mom will have a good day tomorrow!  Your menu sounds perfect!  

Honored Contributor

@alicedee wrote:

I'm  divorced, and my children and grands live hours from me, so I won't see them.  One of my sisters invited me to join her family tomorrow...so I will make a sweet potato casserole in the morning and head to her house.  I love her dearly, and appreciate the invitation.

Before Thanksgiving and Christmas I always make sure I have a turkey breast in the freezer, a box of Stove Top, and a can of cranberries in the cupboard.  Then, if the weather is bad and I can't get out, I can throw together a festive little meal for myself here in the apartment, and enjoy Christmas movies!

I embrace whatever holiday God chooses to send me each year....and they are varied!  But there is always a bit of fun and peace in them all, no matter how they turn out.  

@alicedee You have such a good attitude!  Take blessings no matter how big or small when they are given to us!  Thank you for reminding me and saying it in such a thoughtful way. 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@gidgetgh 

Happy Thanksgiving and there is nothing wrong with just hanging out!!!  So much emphasis is put on the food sometimes the day is over and I never get to enjoy dinner cuz I'm exhausted😉.  After cleaning up & sit down that's when I enjoy a turkey sandwich!

This is the first time in years I'm here not home with family. I admit I don't miss dealing with crowds at airport.  I'm looking forward to sitting and watching the Macy's parade.

I am making a small turkey and sides for us & another couple is joining us.  Just the 4 of us.   If spouse didn't look forward to turkey I'd be happy to do a big chopped salad & soup🙂

I'll enjoy a quiet relaxing day and I hope you do too!🦃

Honored Contributor

I’m not doing anything. My 91 year old mother is in rehab after falling and breaking her hip. I’ll visit her in the morning. My sister and her family are going to her husband’s sister ( a big crowd). My sister could have invited me ( I know my brother-in- law’s family well), she knows I’ll be alone.

Honored Contributor

It will be my husband, son and me for Thanksgiving dinner this year. I am cooking a turkey with all the trimmings. I prefer the holidays quite and intimate the older we get, we don't want the stress or hassle.

Respected Contributor

Saying"just me or just us" makes me feel that we are apologizing for not being involved in an over sized, cram-packed house looking at each other and asking "are we having fun yet?"  We did it for years and it's exhausting.

If we can be at home and comfortable and eat anything we like, binge watch TV or snooze, it's our choice.  I can disconnect the phone in case a relative wants to call and borrow money.  Woman Tongue

Two of us here, turkey breast defrosted in fridge and I made a pumpkin pie for crying out loud!  So far the furnace is working, appliances are cooperating and we're breathing.

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Esteemed Contributor

I will be cooking for the 3 of us and sons girlfriend. I’m making a small turkey and a small ham. Several sides broccoli rice casserole, green bean casserole,  corn casserole, candied yams, mash potatoes, dressing, baked Mac and cheese with rolls. For desserts, I baked a pumpkin pie and a strawberry cake and purchased a lemon meringue pie from Luby’s. My favorite holiday to cook and bake.