Honored Contributor

Anyone needing a cheap income tax e-filer...

You may want to check out Free Tax USA.  The others wanted almost $100 for state and federal e-files all because I had one extra form due to my HSA and not just a 1040 alone. 

If you fall in the middle where you don't qualify for the free but have no need for the real thing because you don't own or feed anyone other than yourself, they were truly free and only hit me up for twelve bucks for my state which was a bargain instead of risking the mail in again.

I just happened to stumble across them while I was looking before I did them myself and the mail in again which I really don't like.  They had great reviews.  Super easy to use too if you have your forms.  It took me 20 minutes. 

Oh and it's official.  The government kept $700 more from me this year than last.  The damage I could have done shopping all without any EZ Pay too....Smiley Frustrated  A dream I used to know.      

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Anyone needing a cheap income tax e-filer...

Has anyone used H&R Block free e forms for federal and state.  Dear Son was working only 5 months at entry level job; would this truly be free for him?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@patbz  I used to use them before they blocked me because the HSA needs a separate form.  It seems to be as long as he is a 1040 only (just a W-2 without anything else), they will file him for free federally.  State always costs extra for me.  

He can always start the filing process and they will stop him and ask for money if he has a more detailed return.  You can then cancel and not use them.  That's what I did last year when they refused to do me free because of the extra form requirement.     

Trusted Contributor

@patbz wrote:

Has anyone used H&R Block free e forms for federal and state.  Dear Son was working only 5 months at entry level job; would this truly be free for him?

It is free as long as you meet certain qualifications.  

Respected Contributor

I use Turbo Tax federal is free & if they want to charge me for state I just go to the state website & file it there for free. I don't think turbo tax charged last year for state so Ijust did it all there.