Respected Contributor

Re: Anyone live in the East Longmeadow, Mass area? Is Springfield, Mass a good city?

Schools in Longmeadow are top-rated.  (I don't know whether that would include East Longmeadow, too, though.)

On a relocation forum I follow, it is often recommended due to the good schools, though others warn that it can be a bit cold and "snooty." 

Trusted Contributor

Re: Anyone live in the East Longmeadow, Mass area? Is Springfield, Mass a good city?

[ Edited ]

Thank you for the replies, nice to talk to people that know the area.  I was only there once, saw some of Vernon, Ellington, Enfield, Stafford area.  Wow, so lush green & country roads.  Without writing a book, I am finding lower income homes mixed with higher priced homes, not like that where I live, much more seperated.  I was thinking maybe Massachusets hosuing would be different or less expensive.  I guess I will have to get a realtor & figure this out.  We tentatively close on our house here early November & I will have no place to live.  Problem is my husband is renting a room & I cannot stay there. Landlord says no, weird, huh?   My husbands job is in Stafford Springs, it's probably the only business there LOL I could write a book on this experience, when a husband loses a job with no severence pay or health Insurance at 57 years old, the rug is pulled out from under you.  We cannot afford to retire.  Current battle is bats in attic found on house inspection, fun, huh? Not sure the people buying are going to walk away.  This is a very nice house on 2 acres & things like this happen.  We had bats before & hired someone to resolve the issue. Have been bat free for years.  I guess they found another way in. Ugh.  We have no kids, so that is not an issue..      

Trusted Contributor

@Burnsite wrote:

Schools in Longmeadow are top-rated.  (I don't know whether that would include East Longmeadow, too, though.)

On a relocation forum I follow, it is often recommended due to the good schools, though others warn that it can be a bit cold and "snooty." 

Hi Burnsite, do you mind sharing the relocation forum you follow?  If not I can post my e-mail address & you can send it to me maybe?

Respected Contributor

Under the circumstances you've give us; why would you even consider buying a home?  You know nothing about the area, you don't know what you want or what you don't want.  Give yourself some time.  Find a nice apartment complex not far from your husband's job (not Springfield!!!!), sign a one year lease and spend the year exploring and getting familiar with the area.  When you have some idea of what area or town you want to live in; you work with a real estate agent.  Because....that's their job. 

Trusted Contributor

@Topaz Gem wrote:

East Longmeadow is very nice, but also check out Wilbraham.  Agawam and Feeding Hills also have some nice areas and homes should be a bit cheaper than in East Longmeadow.

Thank you!  I will have my husband drive to Wilbraham to check that out.  The other 2 places, the commute would be 45 minutes or more.  I am trying to keep it to a 30 minute or less commute.  Please keep the ideas coming, I SO appreciate it!  

Trusted Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

Under the circumstances you've give us; why would you even consider buying a home?  You know nothing about the area, you don't know what you want or what you don't want.  Give yourself some time.  Find a nice apartment complex not far from your husband's job (not Springfield!!!!), sign a one year lease and spend the year exploring and getting familiar with the area.  When you have some idea of what area or town you want to live in; you work with a real estate agent.  Because....that's their job. 

I think that is the best option, since not knowing the area it's probably best to rent.  Not keen about the idea and that is so expensive also, what isnt there LOL, but thank you, I think you are right

Respected Contributor

you may want to keep in mind a 45 minute commute on a good, clear summer day is more like a 1.5 hour (or longer) commute in the winter and in bad weather, especially on rolling hills and secondary roads.

try city-data.com and search by town. there are forums too

Valued Contributor

I am familiar.  Yes the city of Springfield does have some tough neighborhoods, but also some very nice ones.  East Longmeadow is very upscale, large homes lots of greenery.  It reminds me of south of London.   I would not agree with the person who said avoid it like the plague.  I moved to a rural area 70 miles west of Boston thirty years ago.  I am very familiar with all of Massachusetts.  I  am very proud of this beautiful state.

Trusted Contributor

@ashleigh dupray wrote:

you may want to keep in mind a 45 minute commute on a good, clear summer day is more like a 1.5 hour (or longer) commute in the winter and in bad weather, especially on rolling hills and secondary roads.

try city-data.com and search by town. there are forums too

Good Point Ashleigh, thanks for the city-data.com, I will check it out

Trusted Contributor

@mariadomenica wrote:

I am familiar.  Yes the city of Springfield does have some tough neighborhoods, but also some very nice ones.  East Longmeadow is very upscale, large homes lots of greenery.  It reminds me of south of London.   I would not agree with the person who said avoid it like the plague.  I moved to a rural area 70 miles west of Boston thirty years ago.  I am very familiar with all of Massachusetts.  I  am very proud of this beautiful state.

It is a beautiful state! OMG, when I first entered the Mass Turnpike I was in awe of the mountains & greenery, wow!  I have a place in the Adirondack mountains & I thought that was lush, but Mass & CT even more so, very beautiful places