Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone live in the East Longmeadow, Mass area? Is Springfield, Mass a good city?

[ Edited ]

If you want to keep the commute under 30 minutes, you need to be east of 91.  One of the problems is the roads will be a lot of  2 lane country roads.  Mix in school buses, garbage trucks, bad weather and accidents and a 20 mile commute can turn into an hour. 

I agree with those who said do not worry about buying until after you've lived in the area for awhile.

Back in the mid to late 70's, we lived in the New Haven area.  My husband has a lot of relatives in your targeted area and I have the cousin in Longmeadow so we traveled the Hartford to Springfield corridor often.  The roads were terribly congested then.  I do not think they've done much to improve the situation.

Respected Contributor

Re: Anyone live in the East Longmeadow, Mass area? Is Springfield, Mass a good city?

Ann Marie, Ashleigh Dupray has already recommended the Forum I follow:  City Data.  Just remember that a large percentage of the posters are realtors, and some sell their own communities pretty hard.

The 50 states all have a forum, so you can place queries both on the Connecticut and Massachusetts boards.  I did a search for Longmeadow on the top of the Mass foum page, and about 24 recent to fairly recent (2013) threads turned up. 

Respected Contributor

@Burnsite wrote:

Ann Marie, Ashleigh Dupray has already recommended the Forum I follow:  City Data.  Just remember that a large percentage of the posters are realtors, and some sell their own communities pretty hard.

The 50 states all have a forum, so you can place queries both on the Connecticut and Massachusetts boards.  I did a search for Longmeadow on the top of the Mass foum page, and about 24 recent to fairly recent (2013) threads turned up. 

good point!  there is one city forum i follow from time to time over the past few years and i always wondered about certain posters and their figurative rose-colored glasses.

New Contributor

Hi, 

I have lived in Springfield for almost 50 years, and it is certainly not the horror show that people make it out to be. I live in the 16 acres neighborhood, which is right on the East Longmeadow line, and it is a lovely place to live. 

My husband works in Colchester Ct. And commutes an hour each way, he goes the back way through Somers, Ellington, Vernon(all very nice towns too) and he actually enjoys the ride...

We do a lot of our shopping in Enfield, you might want to consider that perhaps. It's great that you can check out so much on -line.... I wish you all the best......

Trusted Contributor

I am the poster that said avoid Springfield.   Believe  me I know.    I have lived in this area since 1965.   I live across the river from Springfield.   I do agree that MA is a beautiful state.   By all means consider Springfield if you wish but since you asked I am being truthful.   I don't even like to cross the river to visit Springfield.      If you are considering something just over the border and are thinking of costs.. I would suggest Agawam or West Springfield.    Are you considering CT at all?