Esteemed Contributor

Anyone live in or near Jacksonville North Carolina

My daughter is about to move to Jacksonville NC or nearby.  Coming from California where she has been for 6 monts.  Better job opportunity and less population.  Just trying to find out about the area and what is nearby. She is about to settle in to a townhome but hasn't made final plans.  The area is near a naval base.  Any suggestions, ideas, help would be appreciated.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Anyone live in or near Jacksonville North Carolina

[ Edited ]

Jacksonville N.C. is the town just outside Ft.Bragg, a huge Army base.  Many years ago I lived there briefly but I have been back several times and my cousin has lived there for many years.  It is a military town and everybody there depends directly or indirectly on the Army base. It's a southern town and not that far from Wilmington (which has a great Azalia Festival.  It has four seasons (mild Winter, beautiful Spring, muggy Summer and hurricane season Fall ).  Several years ago they were hit with a huge hurricane and schools were closed for 2 1/2 months (primarily due to flooding).  

Esteemed Contributor

It is on the coast and home to Camp Lejeune.  DH was there long ago.

Hope she likes her new job.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I agree with all that's been said thus far; my husband was stationed at Camp Lejeune when we married. I liked the area very much, but my husband was ready to settle in our home area of WV.

Your daughter will find everything she needs or wants in beautiful NC, including NC bbq, and some of the best beaches on the southern coast. Best wishes to her!
Valued Contributor

It's a Marine Corps Base and Airstation town.  We lived there for a little over three years - NC is beautiful - the beaches are nice!  VERY humid and hot this time of year and many bugs!  Raleigh is not too far away for nice shopping and restaurants.  Wilmington is also nice for a quick trip to dine or shop. 

I hope you are able to visit her! 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@bonnielu 

As most have talked about the great beaches, and nice towns / shopping within driving distance,I’m going to mention some facts I would want a daughter to be aware of before making a move.

The major (almost only) employer is the military.  Because of this the town may have a lower income level than your daughter is accustomed to, most entrainment opportunities are based on that. The area has not received promised funds to make many of the repairs to damages (including schools) caused by a recent hurricane. Jacksonville is the home of a large Marine training base.  Because of the training component, a large number of the population is rather transient.  I have no idea what it looks like, but I would also check the crime rate.

I am a North Carolina native, this is my home by choice, I love it, but  I feel these are facts she should also consider.  I come from a long line of service.  

Best wishes on her move.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

Fayetteville is the city outside of Ft Bragg. I wouldn't even want to drive through it but Jacksonville is much nicer and less of the riff raff 

Super Contributor

@bonnielu wrote:

My daughter is about to move to Jacksonville NC or nearby.  Coming from California where she has been for 6 monts.  Better job opportunity and less population.  Just trying to find out about the area and what is nearby. She is about to settle in to a townhome but hasn't made final plans.  The area is near a naval base.  Any suggestions, ideas, help would be appreciated.

I live outside of Wilmington and your daughter may want to consider:

What do I do if I have to evacuate due to hurricane. Have a person and plan set up-traveling during hurricane season is awful.

Most coastal jobs are tourism/service related, as are activities. We were badly hit during the Great Recession. The bottom dropped out of housing and unemployment was very high.

Schools, other than university system, are very poor (I'm a retired educator). Does she have children? I taught in academically rigorous PRIVATE schools/parochail school.

Housing can be expensive and there is a mandatory rain/wind insurance that must be taken out annually if your home has a mortgage. This runs about $1K annually.

I have been here 15 years and wold leave in a heartbeat to move inland.DH wont move-he likes the golfing.

Good luck!

Esteemed Contributor

@Maestra1 wrote:

@bonnielu wrote:

I live outside of Wilmington and your daughter may want to consider:

What do I do if I have to evacuate due to hurricane. Have a person and plan set up-traveling during hurricane season is awful.

Most coastal jobs are tourism/service related, as are activities. We were badly hit during the Great Recession. The bottom dropped out of housing and unemployment was very high.

Schools, other than university system, are very poor (I'm a retired educator). Does she have children? I taught in academically rigorous PRIVATE schools/parochail school.

Housing can be expensive and there is a mandatory rain/wind insurance that must be taken out annually if your home has a mortgage. This runs about $1K annually.

I have been here 15 years and wold leave in a heartbeat to move inland.DH wont move-he likes the golfing.

Good luck!

@Maestra1,  maybe you can use this as ammunition to inspire a move.   https://www.golflink.com/golf-courses/nc/asheville/

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.