Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone know the answer to this 2nd grade math problem for me

[ Edited ]

@JJsMom wrote:

@Georgiagrama wrote:

@Alison Wonderland wrote:

@this is my nic wrote:

@grandma r 

It's bizarre what children are NOT learning in school.  Parents must teach their children !  

Our daughter-in-law teaches high school math.  Her classroom has an analog clock on the wall, but her students don't know how to tell time!  She's asked every day what the time is.  Schools don't teach that, so parents who care have to teach their children these basic skills.  

Children don't need to know how to read an analog clock to tell time.

Do you know how to use a sundial to tell time? I'm guessing not because it's an unnecessary skill to have. Are you mad at your teachers for never teaching you to read a sundial?

Reading an analog clock is nice to know, but it's not necessary for students who have the time displayed on every digital device in the house.

If they had to teach the reading of analog clocks, they would have to drop something else. What would you want them to drop to teach the reading of analog clocks?

@Alison Wonderland  You have GOT TO BE KIDDING!!!!  You are saying that there is no need for children to learn how to tell time?????????   And to throw in such a ridiculous analogy is ludicrous.   A sundial - yeah, everybody reads a sundial on a daily basis. Smiley LOL

Most people get the time from their phones or smart watches, which are digital, so actually Alison Wonderland is correct. You don't really need to know how to read analog clocks to get by.

@JJsMom @Alison Wonderland

You do not need to know how to read analog clocks to get by in the world but learning to read an analog clock has the advantage of understanding multiples of 5.

Reading the time from digital devices is the norm but learning analog time allows young children to relate to time passage.

There is room for both. It doesn't have to be a time-consuming topic in school, either. 

And sun-dials are not the issue.  LOL

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@this is my nic wrote:

I never "got" math!  So this crazy new math has me totally befuddled.  I'm sorry, but 9+3=12.  How it can possibly be 10  doesn't make sense.  Perhaps the education system doesn't want children who don't understand math, like me,  to be correct, even when they're wrong!   Kind of like sports when everyone gets a trophy because they participated.  No one wins or loses.  Not a real life outcome. 

@this is my nic   The answer is not 9+3=10.  Go back and read how 10 is used to solve.

Honored Contributor

I learned to memorize addition and time tables in up to Grade 3 but we also learned how to use multiples of 10 after that.

This is not a new technique designed to frustrate parents, grandparents, and children.

We also learned the basics of binary in 8th grade; which had my GS amazed.  LOL

I still think in terms of 10. 

Children are still learning basic math; this "new" way of adding etc. enhances thinking skills and does prepare for higher levels of math.

Think about it-how many of us could teach our children how to code or even use computers?  We learned right along with them.

Respected Contributor

@faeriemoon wrote:

In spite of the fact that I mentioned I'm not really a math person, I would say that I would be more inclined to do mental math in the manner this girl was taught.  I don't think it's anything new really...

I agree @faeriemoon.  To this day if I have to figure out percentage of whatever on the fly, I automatically calculate 10 percent in my head & take it from there.  If I want to do a quick mental calculation to determine 15% of $90, it just comes natural to quickly calculate 10% of 90 (=9), then take half of that and add it.  Half of 9 = 4.5; 9+4.5 = 13.5.  Then I can quickly subtract that amount from 90 and have the answer in seconds.

I won't mention that I could also calculate half of 9 as 5 and then subtract the .5 from my final answer to still come up with the same answer.  LOL!

I had to use math all of the time in nursing, but never so critical as when we were having to titrate medication to maintain someone's blood pressure or suppress life threatening heart rhythms.  Those IV medications are delivered as micrograms (not milligrams) per minute per kilogram of body weight.  You had to know the dilution ratio of the medication in the IV fluid, the patient's body weight in kilos and figure out drip rates.  Many times you were changing the infusion rate every 10-15 minutes to try and keep a blood pressure up.  It just came natural to work in 10s (or in this case tenths and hundreths) and take it from there.  And I am no math genius, I can vouch for that!

Today, they have pumps that will calculate, apps on phones that do the calculations, but back in "my day" Woman LOL, we had to do it in our heads or quickly on a paper towel.  Woman Very Happy    

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Nataliesgramma  It's what is commonly called a '10 frame.' Picture this in your head:  A 10 frame has 10 grid blocks total;  five little grid squares in a row on top, followed by five little grid square directly underneath in a row on the bottom.  That's the 'frame' and it consists of a total of 10 grid squares. The math/idea behind it is it's easier to count in tens.  So, you fill a full 10 frame first..then there are 2 left that don't fit into that frame...so, 9+3 is the same as 10+2.. 

I disliked teaching this math and found as you continue into the common core math there are more steps and/or ways for a student to make mistakes.

Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!
Honored Contributor

I have always been a math whiz. True. 😂 I didn’t get taught this way but in my head quickly started using 5s and 10s as a basis for quickly figuring out a problem when I was little.
Respected Contributor

@pitdakota wrote:

@faeriemoon wrote:

In spite of the fact that I mentioned I'm not really a math person, I would say that I would be more inclined to do mental math in the manner this girl was taught.  I don't think it's anything new really...

I agree @faeriemoon.  To this day if I have to figure out percentage of whatever on the fly, I automatically calculate 10 percent in my head & take it from there.  If I want to do a quick mental calculation to determine 15% of $90, it just comes natural to quickly calculate 10% of 90 (=9), then take half of that and add it.  Half of 9 = 4.5; 9+4.5 = 13.5.  Then I can quickly subtract that amount from 90 and have the answer in seconds.

I won't mention that I could also calculate half of 9 as 5 and then subtract the .5 from my final answer to still come up with the same answer.  LOL!

I had to use math all of the time in nursing, but never so critical as when we were having to titrate medication to maintain someone's blood pressure or suppress life threatening heart rhythms.  Those IV medications are delivered as micrograms (not milligrams) per minute per kilogram of body weight.  You had to know the dilution ratio of the medication in the IV fluid, the patient's body weight in kilos and figure out drip rates.  Many times you were changing the infusion rate every 10-15 minutes to try and keep a blood pressure up.  It just came natural to work in 10s (or in this case tenths and hundreths) and take it from there.  And I am no math genius, I can vouch for that!

Today, they have pumps that will calculate, apps on phones that do the calculations, but back in "my day" Woman LOL, we had to do it in our heads or quickly on a paper towel.  Woman Very Happy    

That's exactly how I figure out percentages. No calculator needed. It's just a different (more effiicent) way of doing things.

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. ~ Desmond Tutu
Trusted Contributor

@ciao_bella wrote:

@Nataliesgramma  It's what is commonly called a '10 frame.' Picture this in your head:  A 10 frame has 10 grid blocks total;  five little grid squares in a row on top, followed by five little grid square directly underneath in a row on the bottom.  That's the 'frame' and it consists of a total of 10 grid squares. The math/idea behind it is it's easier to count in tens.  So, you fill a full 10 frame first..then there are 2 left that don't fit into that frame...so, 9+3 is the same as 10+2.. 

I disliked teaching this math and found as you continue into the common core math there are more steps and/or ways for a student to make mistakes.

Whoa baby I think this is why a lot of people are thrown by this stuff. It sounds whacked out. I think when you teach it at a smaller level it's easy to understand like 9+5 or 13+11 and then from there hopefully the kids are using the reasoning down the road.

Plus I don't get what kind of teaching people think is better. It's all based on 10. add and carry the one is based on 10.