Respected Contributor

Re: Anyone know the answer to this 2nd grade math problem for me

No, basic math is not out the window. This is just a different way to approach it.
Respected Contributor

@Georgiagrama wrote:

@Kalli wrote:

I don’t mean to offend but I wish people would try, just a little, not to make generalizations like, “They don’t teach how to tell time on an analog clock anymore.” Or, “They don’t teach cursive now.” Because this isn’t true. I retired 3 1/2 years ago. We DID teach those things. If they are not taught in your local schools, get involved and speak up.

With regard to the math problem, the goal is deeper than solving that singular, basic problem. The goal is to encourage students to apply the strategy they’ve been taught. A few previous comments here have already explained this strategy: @JJsMom , @smb3 and @jonbon 

Strategy instruction serves an important purpose. Kinda like that old saying about giving a man a fish and he eats one meal but teaching him how to fish will feed him forever.  Teaching students how to approach certain kinds of math problems helps them solve many more problems that are similar but harder.  

@Kalli  I understand you point and I respect it.  However, my point was that when the child does not understand the math, and, the grandparents or caregiver, or, even the parent does not understand it, there should be more information available and provided to help than youtube or google.  There should be more than just homework sent home with a child - instructions of some kind. I've even considered going to my granddaughters school and sitting in on classes. Most of us would gladly be willing to learn to help our children.  There has to be a better way, especially if the child is bright and the alternative is just skimming by in math. It's like trying to learn a foreign language without hearing it spoken.

I'm sure you understand.    

@Georgiagrama , that’s a great idea! Go and observe the lessons but don’t be surprised if you find yourself being recruited to help out. 😉 Over my teaching career I had many visitors. They always left amazed at how much our students know at younger ages now.

Not sure the type of school your GD attends. I taught in a small neighborhood elem. There were some years that I had very challenging students. Some of those students had mild to severe behavioral issues, others struggled to learn even the most basic of concepts. Just a heads up if you haven’t been in a regular classroom for a while.

Last, the math series we used had homework every night but there was almost always a short parent note at the top of the paper explaining what students learned that day. In addition, illustrations were often used on the homework paper, but I taught 2nd, so the use of pictures and/or manipulatives is pretty much standard procedure. There were times we actually sent the manipulatives home in zip lock baggies so kids could use them to complete their hw.

Respected Contributor

@Nataliesgramma

A suggestion would be to meet with the teacher and see if she would go over it with you and your granddaughter. In my area , homework is assigned to reinforce learned material. Your granddaughter maybe did not fully learn it. She could have had an off day or daydreamed.

I am not saying she is not smart. Everyone learns at there rate and it changes. The teachers I know are not assigning homework to stump the parents or have them do it for the child. Math instruction is different from years ago. Focusing on rote memorization trains students to compartmentalize facts in isolation.

I do not think you should approach the teacher with the attitude that she can’t teach. The teacher should want to know that your grandchild is not getting it.

The teacher probably offers time to help students that need it.

Colleges around here have changed to the problem solving assignments as well.

Good wishes with your adventures

doxie
Respected Contributor

@RollTide2008 wrote:
No, basic math is not out the window. This is just a different way to approach it.

Just curious, why is a different approach needed?@RollTideRoll2008 

Respected Contributor

Because not everyone learns the same way. Memorization is s fine way to learn simple arithmetic. It doesn’t work so well with more complex calculations. In that case, being able to reason through the problem is a better approach. This method teaches children how to reason through simple math so they learn how to approach harder math. I don’t see the downside is teaching problem solving skills.
Trusted Contributor

@panda1234 wrote:

@RollTide2008 wrote:

Just curious, why is a different approach needed?@RollTideRoll2008 

Apparently this new method of math helpd kids become more critical thinkers.  The memorization method that I used growing up just isn't good enough anymore.  

I don't understand why kids need to go through extra steps to figure out a simple math problem.  Even the terminology kids us in math is different now.  Its really sad that I got all A's in math throughout high school and college but I have to ask my High School freshman what is being asked for on my 4th graders math.

Respected Contributor

@Georgiagrama wrote:

@JJsMom  I've read and heard many arguments about the new common core math.  Nothing has been proven, that I've heard, that it is the better way, but time will tell.   The point I was trying to make, which you seem to have overlooked, is that if it is going to be taught in school, which is inevitable, perhaps there should be a better way to provide instructions for those of us who help the children with homework and the children as well once they are no longer in the presence of the teacher.  I've spent many hours on my computer searching for answers and I'm way past 70 years old. And, to my point, and as another poster mentioned, if  what we learn isn't the way the teacher taught it, it only confuses the child.  There seems to be no consistency, and some teachers are better at it than others.

I certainly don't object to learning something new, and I don't think it's fair of you to generalize that we are stuck in our ways. We are trying to help our children.lApparently common core math can be taught differently. I personally do not feel that it is unreasonable to ask for some type of consistency.   Apparently "theory" differs from  one teacher to the next and until the child comes up with their own theory it just isn't going to click.

And, like you, we don't mind at all asking for help from the teacher, youtube, other children and even other teachers.    

No one teaches things exactly the same way regardless of subject. Some teachers are better than others.

I don't think they need to teach things in a way for the parents to be able to help them. They need to teach to an acceptable standard and prioritize critical thinking skills. What happens when they get to advanced math, reading, or science in high school and college? Should it be dumbed down so you can continue to help them?

You do seem stuck in your ways because you refuse to acknowledge the advantages of the new method. You don't like it because you don't understand it. I don't think you have truly taken the time to learn about it based on your responses here.

I was taught math very similarly to how you were, and although I was good at math, it was a chore, and I would always figure things out differently in my head than how I was taught because I thought it was faster.

My son brought home math in third grade that looked foreign to me, so I can see why some are initially frustrated by it. He had to break everything down by 10s and 100s and draw it out. It wasn't enough to write down just the answer. You had to show how you arrived at it. Then I stopped and really looked at it, and it made total sense to me what they were trying to do. Once it clicked, he was spitting out answers so quickly, and he excels in math now.

I think you need to give it a chance. Kids pick up on our negative attitudes towards our school and teachers. If everyone around them is bashing the method, of course they won't see any value in it and give up.

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. ~ Desmond Tutu
Honored Contributor

In spite of the fact that I mentioned I'm not really a math person, I would say that I would be more inclined to do mental math in the manner this girl was taught.  I don't think it's anything new really...

Respected Contributor

@faeriemoon wrote:

In spite of the fact that I mentioned I'm not really a math person, I would say that I would be more inclined to do mental math in the manner this girl was taught.  I don't think it's anything new really...

@faeriemoon , Agreed! Some of the strategies are ones that many of us begin to use over time as we become more experienced using math in every day situations for real life purposes. And once we get better at this, we find that we apply them in many more situations which leads to deeper understanding.

Exposing students to these strategies while still in school encourages this process earlier which benefits and deepens learning which then builds upon more learning, more understanding, and the cycle expands and continues. Our brains are capable of so much more than rote memorization can ever accomplish.

Honored Contributor

9+10=19 10-3=7  19-7=12 or10+3=13  10-9=1 13-1=12 it works for any two numbers. 48+31=79  using 50 as the base you can subtract 50-48=2 50+31=81 81-2=79  my husbands first job out of college was as a mathematician for NSA. My husband said the teachers should be shot for teaching kids this method at such an early age. It's just a prep for algebra.