Respected Contributor

Re: Anyone know the answer to this 2nd grade math problem for me

@RollTide2008 wrote:
I don’t know where all these dumb helpless teenagers are. My son is a high school freshman. The kids in his peer group tell time and read cursive just fine.

When my child brought home homework I didn’t understand, I didn’t have any trouble finding resources to help him. The Google and the You Tube were excellent resources if he didn’t bring home adequate class material. If that failed, I just emailed his teacher.

@RollTide2008  You are fortunate.  Many schools are so overcrowded the teachers can barely answer their e mail, must let alone provided one on one assistance.  It's google all the way for some of us. 

Respected Contributor

I don’t mean to offend but I wish people would try, just a little, not to make generalizations like, “They don’t teach how to tell time on an analog clock anymore.” Or, “They don’t teach cursive now.” Because this isn’t true. I retired 3 1/2 years ago. We DID teach those things. If they are not taught in your local schools, get involved and speak up.

With regard to the math problem, the goal is deeper than solving that singular, basic problem. The goal is to encourage students to apply the strategy they’ve been taught. A few previous comments here have already explained this strategy: @JJsMom , @smb3 and @jonbon 

Strategy instruction serves an important purpose. Kinda like that old saying about giving a man a fish and he eats one meal but teaching him how to fish will feed him forever.  Teaching students how to approach certain kinds of math problems helps them solve many more problems that are similar but harder.  

Respected Contributor

@Kalli wrote:

I don’t mean to offend but I wish people would try, just a little, not to make generalizations like, “They don’t teach how to tell time on an analog clock anymore.” Or, “They don’t teach cursive now.” Because this isn’t true. I retired 3 1/2 years ago. We DID teach those things. If they are not taught in your local schools, get involved and speak up.

With regard to the math problem, the goal is deeper than solving that singular, basic problem. The goal is to encourage students to apply the strategy they’ve been taught. A few previous comments here have already explained this strategy: @JJsMom , @smb3 and @jonbon 

Strategy instruction serves an important purpose. Kinda like that old saying about giving a man a fish and he eats one meal but teaching him how to fish will feed him forever.  Teaching students how to approach certain kinds of math problems helps them solve many more problems that are similar but harder.  

@Kalli  I understand you point and I respect it.  However, my point was that when the child does not understand the math, and, the grandparents or caregiver, or, even the parent does not understand it, there should be more information available and provided to help than youtube or google.  There should be more than just homework sent home with a child - instructions of some kind. I've even considered going to my granddaughters school and sitting in on classes. Most of us would gladly be willing to learn to help our children.  There has to be a better way, especially if the child is bright and the alternative is just skimming by in math. It's like trying to learn a foreign language without hearing it spoken.

I'm sure you understand.    

Honored Contributor

If there was something I didn’t understand, I went to the teacher for extra help. If there was something my mom didn’t understand (in the process of trying to help) she also made an appointment with the teacher. Even when I was growing up it was something called the new math - I think it was a different way of doing division - and my mom was not familiar with it. She talked to the teacher and learned it so she could help me. 😉
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

In a way, maybe this is a way kids think-sort of abstract?

I would use the 10 to add a one to the 9 (from the 3) and then you would have to take away one from the 3, (cause u added it to the 9 to get 10), and you would just have 2

left so 10+2=12.

Or another way to say it- you could use the 9 and take away one from the 3 (to make the 9, 10), then you would only have 2 left over from the three so add that to your new 10 and you get 10+2-12!

Clear as mud lol?!

I taught a "gifted and talented math class over the summer several years ago but I never saw anything like this!

When my youngest was in school, we were told to not help our kids with their math homework!

Haha! Thank goodness!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

It's overthinking this thing.  Tell your granddaughter how smart she will be, to know two ways to get this done.  Then show her your way.  Then she can accept it if she chooses and won't go against what is being taught.  They can be very loyal to teachers in wanting to do it "right".  Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

@grandma r wrote:

@Nataliesgramma   if this is common core, don't expect to understand it.  It is ridiculous!!!!  Many schools don't even teach times tables!!!!  I have no idea who comes up with this stuff.

@grandma r  For real, no times tables? Wow, so glad this is behind me.

Esteemed Contributor

The "new math" says they are supposed to know HOW they got the answer, not just the answer, so they know more advanced math in high school and college.............that's what my school administrator son said.......oh well!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Georgiagrama wrote:

@JJsMom wrote:

This makes perfect sense to me, and it's how I figure things out quickly in my head when numbers get larger. It's much better than memorization.

It's a pet peeve of mine when people complain about "common core math" without understanding what it means. Just because you were taught a certain way doesn't make it the right or best way. I happen to love the way my son is taught math now, but it is how I process math in my brain, so I totally get it. He can quickly figure things out without writing it out and carrying this number over and adding it, etc.

Instead of dismissing it outright, do some reasearch into the reasoning behind teaching math this way.

@JJsMom   I hardly think we are dismissing it outright when we are desperately trying to find a way to help our grandchildren. Just like some people pick up a different language easily, I suppose you picked up your sons math.  However, if your son didn't understand it, and you didn't either, you might realize how frustrating it is for those of us who weren't taught that way.  

It's frustrating for you because you don't get it. It doesn't make it wrong. There are plenty of things he brings home that I am not sure about or forgot how to do, but I either look it up or ask for help. I am amazed at how quickly he can figure things out in his head at his age applying the techniques he has learned.

It is interesting how some are so upset about analog clocks and cursive writing (which is still being taught in schools btw), but they think it's perfectly ok to dumb down math so they can help their kids with it. There are lots of school resources for kids who struggle in math.

There are plenty of kids who struggled with the old fashioned way of doing math. It seems like we all want to just be stuck in our ways because it's comfortable and easier for us, even though it's not the better way.

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. ~ Desmond Tutu
Trusted Contributor

@Alison Wonderland wrote:

@this is my nic wrote:

@grandma r 

It's bizarre what children are NOT learning in school.  Parents must teach their children !  

Our daughter-in-law teaches high school math.  Her classroom has an analog clock on the wall, but her students don't know how to tell time!  She's asked every day what the time is.  Schools don't teach that, so parents who care have to teach their children these basic skills.  

Children don't need to know how to read an analog clock to tell time.

Do you know how to use a sundial to tell time? I'm guessing not because it's an unnecessary skill to have. Are you mad at your teachers for never teaching you to read a sundial?

Reading an analog clock is nice to know, but it's not necessary for students who have the time displayed on every digital device in the house.

If they had to teach the reading of analog clocks, they would have to drop something else. What would you want them to drop to teach the reading of analog clocks?

@Alison Wonderland wrote:

@this is my nic wrote:

@grandma r 

It's bizarre what children are NOT learning in school.  Parents must teach their children !  

Our daughter-in-law teaches high school math.  Her classroom has an analog clock on the wall, but her students don't know how to tell time!  She's asked every day what the time is.  Schools don't teach that, so parents who care have to teach their children these basic skills.  

Children don't need to know how to read an analog clock to tell time.

Do you know how to use a sundial to tell time? I'm guessing not because it's an unnecessary skill to have. Are you mad at your teachers for never teaching you to read a sundial?

Reading an analog clock is nice to know, but it's not necessary for students who have the time displayed on every digital device in the house.

If they had to teach the reading of analog clocks, they would have to drop something else. What would you want them to drop to teach the reading of analog clocks?

we did learn about telling time using a sundial, in history class. What could they drop, how about an entire semester of shakespeare? yes, you should learn about his works, but is knowing every novel he wrote inside and out helpful in the real world? maybe if your an english major.