Trusted Contributor

Re: Anyone know the answer to this 2nd grade math problem for me

@LadyAmara wrote:

Wow!  I had to search this one out.  This video helped explain it best (for me).  Hope it helps you and granddaughter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_s_2Sfqax6Y 

if the link does not work, go to youtube and search for Make A Ten Then Add Strategy by catherunyan.

Hope it helps.

Watched the video, what a confusing way to learn math

Frequent Contributor

@Georgiagrama

Your statement is soooo true.  It's really sad because the new way just complicates things.  But thank goodness for youtube, especially when you hit the right search for the answer, otherwise it could take all day to find what can be understood.  This one was my second hit, so it worked out.  Once I got past the little blue dots, it all made sense.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@kitcat51 wrote:

Watch the Make 10 Strategy for Addition on YouTube. My granddaughters went through this nonsense so we taught them the "old" way at home...both excel in math.

Came to recommend the same video, but I have a different view of the rest.

It's all about learning how to use 10 to solve everything and learn the relationship between numbers. It can be hard for people who memorized the old way, but I find it really helpful. It helps kids learn how to add faster.

It's the way Japanese kids have been learning math since the 1980s and they've been kicking our rear ends in math and science for ages.

Fun fact: The system the Japanese use was created by US teachers in the 80s, but it never caught on here. Japan has used it to run circles around us in mathematics while we continued to use memorization methods to teach addition and multiplication.

Respected Contributor

@grandma r 

It's bizarre what children are NOT learning in school.  Parents must teach their children !  

Our daughter-in-law teaches high school math.  Her classroom has an analog clock on the wall, but her students don't know how to tell time!  She's asked every day what the time is.  Schools don't teach that, so parents who care have to teach their children these basic skills.  

Honored Contributor

Common core curriculum is one of the worst things to ever hit public education. Just my opinion after spending 35 years teaching.😎
Respected Contributor

@Georgiagrama wrote:

@LadyAmara wrote:

Wow!  I had to search this one out.  This video helped explain it best (for me).  Hope it helps you and granddaughter.

if the link does not work, go to youtube and search for Make A Ten Then Add Strategy by catherunyan.

Hope it helps.

@LadyAmara  Isn't it a shame that one must go to youtube to have a second grade math problem explained.  It's ridiculous to expect children to understand the basics of math when it's this complicated. 

No, because the child is learning this in school and does not need a YouTube video to explain it. And it seems complicated to you because you're not familiar with it. Math uses a base-ten system and this makes that really understandable for people and helps kids add and multiply faster than learning by memorization. It's been proven in other countries who are excelling at math and science.

If people in other countries can manage it, surely we can, too.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@this is my nic wrote:

@grandma r 

It's bizarre what children are NOT learning in school.  Parents must teach their children !  

Our daughter-in-law teaches high school math.  Her classroom has an analog clock on the wall, but her students don't know how to tell time!  She's asked every day what the time is.  Schools don't teach that, so parents who care have to teach their children these basic skills.  

Children don't need to know how to read an analog clock to tell time.

Do you know how to use a sundial to tell time? I'm guessing not because it's an unnecessary skill to have. Are you mad at your teachers for never teaching you to read a sundial?

Reading an analog clock is nice to know, but it's not necessary for students who have the time displayed on every digital device in the house.

If they had to teach the reading of analog clocks, they would have to drop something else. What would you want them to drop to teach the reading of analog clocks?

Frequent Contributor

Looks like they're introducing algebraic forms in 3rd grade.  Don't know if this is good or not.  My state (Florida)has decided to do away with CC entirely.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Alison Wonderland wrote:

@Georgiagrama wrote:

@LadyAmara wrote:

Hope it helps.

@LadyAmara  Isn't it a shame that one must go to youtube to have a second grade math problem explained.  It's ridiculous to expect children to understand the basics of math when it's this complicated. 

No, because the child is learning this in school and does not need a YouTube video to explain it. And it seems complicated to you because you're not familiar with it. Math uses a base-ten system and this makes that really understandable for people and helps kids add and multiply faster than learning by memorization. It's been proven in other countries who are excelling at math and science.

If people in other countries can manage it, surely we can, too.

@Alison Wonderland   No, the problem is, we, who are trying to help our grandchildren excel,  and we were not taught, nor do we understand what is being taught.  Who is to help them if they don't understand a problem. Help must come from home, regardless of what another country is "excelling" in.  No, we aren't familiar with it, and having to resort to looking at a youtube video because a child is not catching on at school is a sign that something isn't working.  Have you looked at the math statistics in the elementary schools in the US?  Either the teachers don't know how to teach common core, or the children aren't catching on and aren't getting the help at home because the parents and grandparents don't know how to do it either.    

Trusted Contributor

THAT's a 2nd grade math problem?  Holy ******!  I'm glad I went to school when I did, when the dinosaurs were around. I have no idea about that math problem.  All we did was add, subtract, divide and multiply back then and I thought THAT was bad!