Trusted Contributor

Re: Anyone keeping a journal/diary during lockdown?

@joannecha wrote:

I thought about it at the beginning, as I love to write short stories and thought it would be interesting to document my feelings. As time progressed, the whole thing just got too depressing, and I gave up. It will be interesting to see what kind of fiction books are written with a coved theme. Though we all lived through it, we will all have different reactions and emotions (though some will obviously be the same). Wonder about Hallmark movies or soaps using this theme (soaps are more escapism, so I'm doubting those writers will jump on it). Maybe a coved-themed reality show? Not for me.

@joannecha   Actually I keep newspapers from different events in history rather than a journal.  I have some from as far back as the Kennedy assassination....911...this pandemic...and other events that interested me over the past 50+ years.   I like to look back at the old black and white pictures and read the articles from that time in history.   When my granddaughter is a little older I will share these with her.  

Honored Contributor

@Mombo1 wrote:

@joannecha wrote:

I thought about it at the beginning, as I love to write short stories and thought it would be interesting to document my feelings. As time progressed, the whole thing just got too depressing, and I gave up. It will be interesting to see what kind of fiction books are written with a coved theme. Though we all lived through it, we will all have different reactions and emotions (though some will obviously be the same). Wonder about Hallmark movies or soaps using this theme (soaps are more escapism, so I'm doubting those writers will jump on it). Maybe a coved-themed reality show? Not for me.

@joannecha   Actually I keep newspapers from different events in history rather than a journal.  I have some from as far back as the Kennedy assassination....911...this pandemic...and other events that interested me over the past 50+ years.   I like to look back at the old black and white pictures and read the articles from that time in history.   When my granddaughter is a little older I will share these with her.  

@Mombo1 

That's very cool and I think a great gift for your granddaughter!!!

Honored Contributor

@joannecha  No. I made note of the day I started working from home, last time ever inside a store, that kind of thing. There really isn’t anything of interest for me to journal about. I’m fine, very busy with work. If I’d lost my job, things would be different.

Honored Contributor

I think it's a great jump off if you like to write.

Respected Contributor

yes.  i have been journaling for several years now, and so i have included covid 19 notes and updates.  

Respected Contributor

I've written a page in a journal I keep for my granddaughter. A page was enough so far. She is keeping one. She's 12 and I'll miss her 13 th birthday in June. I can't be around the kids. 

Before the pandemic I found prayer boxes with tiny note paper and a pencil at the $1. store. I bought them for two friends and gave them to them at our last lunch before the at- home. Gave my granddaughter one and I kept one.. my prayers in it seem quite desperate now from wanting a vaccine. 
  Today I thought I should have asked my grandmothers and Aunt about the flu epidemic in 1918. That would have been interesting. I know stores here were closed and schools. 

Respected Contributor

@joannecha  I journal regularly, but not so much lately. I think I have just been so focused on so many other things and people, that I've neglected the simple things without knowing it. Tonight will be a great opportunity for me to pick up my pen, and unwind in the pages of my journal. Thank you for the reminder.😊

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

Honored Contributor

@mominohio wrote:

Yes. It is rather mundane, and notes things like you see on the news, prices, shortages, etc in my area, and daily things we are doing (or not). I journal the day's events as routine anyway, but adding in more about the current status of the crisis. 

@mominohio I don't even open threads on current events here.  I don't  like coming here to see current events smack me in the face while I have breakfast.   

We ALL HAVE NEWS FEEDS FOR GOODNESS SAKE!!!!!

Honored Contributor

@happycat wrote:

I have written some. 

Interestingly, our local library had posted on fb when we first shut down in my area, that they would like people to consider keeping a journal, and when this is over, give it to the library, so years later, people could read about what it was like to live through this time. 

That kind of depressed me a bit. Not sure I'd want to share all the feelings I have had through this with anyone. 

ours too

personally it's not my thing

Honored Contributor

I'm not keeping one on the CV but I have calendars (planners) that are decorated and I use different ones for different things.  I truly enjoy it.  Even over the crochet stuff.  I can fall back to that, but our Gov won't open things I go to and I'm losing the old MOJO on that to keep going.  I miss all the ladies we talk to weekly.  The 28th can't come soon enough for me here. MI.