Contributor

Re: Anyone interested in geneology?

I found a few things on Ellis Island's site about my mother and her sister who came from Bohemia (now part of Czech Republic) in 1923, ages 4 & 5. Their mother was already here, NYC. It was unusual because no one was there to pick them up..for weeks and they didn't speak English. They were taken in by the Red Cross and their pictures were put in all the NY papers (probably ethnic papers). I would love to see the articles and did a lot of research with the Red Cross... whose records were destroyed in a fire. I didn't contact the National Archives which may be a good idea. I never done any other searched... because of the 2 WW's, I'm sure it would be difficult..not to mention the name-changes at Ellis Island!

Respected Contributor

I found out years ago that my mom's brother did extensive research of their family tree. It was very interesting to read. My mom was 100% polish and her family came from Puck, Poland. It looks like a beautiful town.

I think I heard every polish joke ever told when I was young. lol 

Now I need my dad's side done.    

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Native Americans need to write to the National Archives, Washington, D.C. to check to see if they are holding their families  records.  It will be hard because the Indian names were taken away by the English people, and was given a new name which was English;  of course.  That would be the first name and last name.  

About 30-35 years ago records of the Native Americans was being destroyed.   Some people working at the National Archives tried to save the records and sent some of the records to the National Archives to protect.  Everyone's records was not saved or rescued.  This is one of the reasons why some Native Americans have no records of their family.  The English did take records when they came here. 

Contributor

I wonder if Native Americans are as fixated on geneology as we are. For me it was a curiosity that I never pursued..anyone I would have found beyond family I knew when they were alive would be strangers. The LDS are masters of it because of the belief in the Celestial family unit.

Honored Contributor

Yes, i am ,i have quite a few things, but ran into difficulty ,in my dads ,mothers family, there is american indian , there , most looked like indians, but could not find out tribe,we went to salt lake, to find information,and could not find out.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

Regarding the Native American.  Fortunately, a little of their history and stories are preserved locally, on a state level and at the Smithsonian.  Most, if not all Native Indians did not write their history, they passed their lineage and history verbally to each generation.  They taught all the young the strories of their people.

Since most of their artifacts were "borrowed" or buried, there is not a lot of physical Indian stuff left.

I am in California, and the California didn't believe in really owning things.  The traveled within their area for food.  When acorns were ripe the traveled to the spot they went the year before, they unburied their utensils and a few items, and left when the crop was gone.  They traded for items they didn't have, but not that often.  They  lived off the land respectfully`, taking only what they needed,  When they were gathered up and taken to the missions, they had nothing.  Those that lived filtered into the new society little by little.

I know the Smithsonian has the history according to the last Amah Mutsan indian (our indigenous people) at the Smithsonian.  She spoke in her language, recorded songs of her people and stories.  I believe many tribes  across this country did the same.  I believe Geranimo (sp) even has told his story to Smithsonian.  But there again, the stories are what that person remembers.  Nothing ever had been written

Honored Contributor

If my family was Native American I would go to the Missions in my area, or call and talk to the Catholic Church that was in the area you are looking..  The Catholic Church was pretty accurate in recording the name, age and where they came from in the area. They kept meticulous records in our area.  In San Juan Bautista, Ca and Santa Clara, Ca and the Presidio in Monterey Ca  where most of the Indians were taken in our area, there are records, and a burial ground for the Indians.   That is if there was a mission near by that is where the Inadians were taken,

Valued Contributor

What an imformative thread!  I worked on my family tree for a long time, and still belong to ancestry.com, but kept running into a couple of brick walls, so I quit for quite a while.  I really do need to get back to it.

Honored Contributor

@Anniecamp wrote:

What an imformative thread!  I worked on my family tree for a long time, and still belong to ancestry.com, but kept running into a couple of brick walls, so I quit for quite a while.  I really do need to get back to it.

I never thought it was something I'd really be able to get into, but once I did, whoever said it was addicting is right.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Esteemed Contributor

I don't know if any of you has watched the , "Genealogy Road Show" but they're looking for applicants who are tracing their ancestry.

http://genealogyroadshow.org/casting-page/

Keep Your Face To The Sunshine and You Will Not See The Shadow