Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone interested in geneology?

@Lovethesea wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

It's really through putting your info (tree, or whatever) "out there" on Ancestry that you find more and more. And there are forums for surnames - that's how I located a second cousin on each side of my family to start with, and corroborated some info that for me had only been a story.

The Surname Forums that you mentioned, are they the Message Boards that I mentioned?

In away. You can put in the surname you're interested in, and questions others have asked re that surname will show up, and you can add yours. I'm not sure that's exactly what I did, but they also might have changed the site a bit from when I did it.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

I worked as a coordinator in a museum for years.  Our museum was lucky enough to  have original newspapers (everyone, each bound) since 1857.  Remember , I am in California, so for us that is pretty old.  We also have original Bancroft books, and written genealogies of hundreds of families.  It is true, facts are only as good as the source, and many times the old sources are not accurate.  But it is a start.  From dates, births recorded in papers, census collections,,voter registrations, military registration and online sites, you go on from there to get birth, death, marriage certificate.  Older death certificates need to be followed up and verified as usually the family reported the death and gave birth, death, medical history. Before 1905 it was not a law to register births, deaths and such, although many did.

If you know where the family you are looking for was born, or lived, go to the museum in that area.  They have records and sometimes photos.The Mormon libraries have excellent records, as do our Federal Census records. Also, if one was Catholic, check the old Catholic records.  Although we are not Catholic, I found my great grandparents in old California Mission records.  Before California was a state, we were owned by  Mexico.  The missions kept meticulous records, and usually very accurate I have found.  The Census goes back to 1850 here, but Mission records are older. My Dad's grandfather came from Prussia in 1840, settled finally in San Juan Capistrano in 1850.  His wife became Catholic, and so were the 12 kids  I found old records of my Dad's family before census with Catholic Church. Then I contacted the museum in that area and found out they were a very prominent family, grandfather was in the newspaper, so I spent hours at the Orange County museum going through records. You start with one census, and follow them every ten years and it can give an excellent record of where they lived, the number and names of kids, occupation and country of origin.

Geneology can be addicting.  If it is anything, it is facinating.  Unless one was Native American Indian, you came from another country.  It is facinating to see how names change, the immigrants settle in, move on and establish themselves in their new country.

Honored Contributor

I wanted to add that although tracing a person through time, can be confusing, it sorts itself out if you are aware..  Keep your eyes and ears open, and question everything.  I cannot tell you how many times a person came to us seeking info on their family.  Only to sometimes find out they have been chasing the wrong family for years!!  Especially with common surnames!

Respected Contributor

@shoekitty wrote:

I wanted to add that although tracing a person through time, can be confusing, it sorts itself out if you are aware..  Keep your eyes and ears open, and question everything.  I cannot tell you how many times a person came to us seeking info on their family.  Only to sometimes find out they have been chasing the wrong family for years!!  Especially with common surnames!

........................................................................................

People think because information is located on a site it has to be facts.  I am not connected to my mother, or anyone else in my family.  And none of them are connected together.  It is like names was shakened and tossed onto some sights.

My age listed is 40-50 years older then I am.  

Information is not correct all over the place about me.   I do not correct the information because I like been hidden.  Some things should be private.  No need to toss out all kinds of information about our self out there.  I do wonder who took the time to mess up the information.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Lila Belle wrote:
OoooH ! Vikings blood would be cool. My nan ( mother's side ) is from Devon and my dad is Scot-Irish- Virginian, Shenandoah area. I'm hoping for something exotic though, not too white bread.

my mom had red hair and green eyes and she had a terrible temper.  she always told me that she was of Irish & Viking ancestry. a couple of years ago when my brother did DNA testing for both our paternal & maternal lines, it showed that the majority of people who share our maternal DNA came from Ireland and the Scandinavian area. so I guess she was right. she was a hot tempered combination of Irish and Viking Smiley Happy

“All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.” St. Julian of Norwich
Esteemed Contributor

@MariotaMurielle  The Vikings were pretty good at invading the British Isles and leaving many love children, 

I'm 18% Scottish and 8% Scandinavian

Keep Your Face To The Sunshine and You Will Not See The Shadow
Honored Contributor

@MariotaMurielle wrote:

@Lila Belle wrote:
OoooH ! Vikings blood would be cool. My nan ( mother's side ) is from Devon and my dad is Scot-Irish- Virginian, Shenandoah area. I'm hoping for something exotic though, not too white bread.

my mom had red hair and green eyes and she had a terrible temper.  she always told me that she was of Irish & Viking ancestry. a couple of years ago when my brother did DNA testing for both our paternal & maternal lines, it showed that the majority of people who share our maternal DNA came from Ireland and the Scandinavian area. so I guess she was right. she was a hot tempered combination of Irish and Viking Smiley Happy

Dublin was a Viking city for 60 years ;-)

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Esteemed Contributor

Yes! My husband and I belong to ancestry. My husband researches our families every day after work, and I join in on occasion. He has gathered a lot of information.

He and or we also go to cemeteries and takes pictures of graves (our families and other peoples too), and he posts the pictures online with the info.

Through his research he has found I am related to one of the Presidents from way back when. (Id rather not say which one due to privacy).

He has also found out that his ancestors lived on the land we now live on which is really something because my husband isn't even from around here and had this home built 16 years ago not knowing this until he did research.

And this kind of bothered me at first but we found out (last year) that me and my husband share "one" 9X back great grandparent. Such as great great great and so on 9X back which really doesn't matter that we are related, because its so far back its irrelevant.

The only problem we are having is on my dads side. My grandparents came over from Italy and so the buck stops there and we are at a stand still on my dads side. We cant get any further than my grandparents and one of my great grandparents and everyone is dead so there is no one to ask. (Which means if anyone has living older relatives ask them questions now before its too late!).

And to add- on my moms fathers side I already have a hard cover book one of my distant relatives had made with all of our heritage from way way way back up until now. I have some relatives who fought in the civil war, which is really cool to read about in this book!

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

What is needed is the Alien Project/Human Project blending.   The testing of the DNA has within where some humans have been hybrid with intelligent life forms from out there.   How far do we take this geneology?   

You know me I am always going to take things into another level of researching information.  No need to ignore known information.  Got to love this new research.  (smile)   

Honored Contributor

My Mom used to tell me the story that her great grandmother  and great grandfather were married off in an arranged marriage at ages 12 & 13 and sent to America to relatives because there was a war going on in their area of Germany then and there was fear of entire wealthy families being killed. As it turned out the family that remained in germany was all killed and had they not sent the children here to America there would be no more of those two lines. However, they stayed married the rest of their lives and had 11 children to carry on the line. I have been able to confirm almost the entire story through my research.Unfortunately, when they sent the young couple here they did not send any of the fortune with them, so they worked hard and made it on their own just like most of us.