Respected Contributor

Re: Anyone here live in GA? From GA? May be moving there....

@SahmIam wrote:

Looking at Woodmont/Canton and Peachtree City. 

Any info you can share?

I was born and raised in Georgia.  My parents currently live in Peachtree City.  I can agree that traffic is bad.  DH and I live in Stockbridge and our area of I-75 is busy all the time.It is south of Atlanta, as well.  Learned necessary back roads quickly.  That aside, IMHO, Peachtree City is a very nice place.  Many retired people live there.  I am attaching a link to the website. Welcome to the "peach state"! Good luck to you wherever you decide to live!Cat Very Happy

http://www.peachtree-city.org/

I'm not short...I'm fun size!
Honored Contributor

Alpharetta is a wonderful city.   

Honored Contributor

@SahmIam wrote:

@gidgetgh  Ack, I'm sorry. Bucks County is in PA. I meant Buckhead. 

Buckhead, just north of downtown Atlanta, VERY pricey, lots of private schools in the area. Lots of older homes. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

@SahmIam wrote:

@gidgetgh  Thank you for that info!! I'm going to check out the hospitals and see what is there for seniors as well.

I will look into all the areas you mentioned. Again, thank you SO much!! : )

In Atlanta, everyone raves about Emory Hospital, but my father recently spent a month, over two stays, at Northside Hospital's main location in Sandy Springs and while he didn't make it, I'd be surprised if anyone could get better care than he received there. My sister and I thought Northside was exceptional, as they were last summer when he had a stroke. 1st class. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Frequent Contributor

Gwinnett County has the best school systems and lowest taxes. I pay $2700 a year and $1700 goes to the school system. House is 3000 sq ft - $270k. Traffic has become unbearable and cannot wait to escape. One hour commute in the morning and 2 hours in the afternoon. Your best bet is Gainesville, Columbus, Athens or Savannah. Hospitals are all over Atlanta. I have lived here over 40 years and would not recommend it,

Honored Contributor

Ga. born  residing in the Columbus- Ft. Benning area. Good private schools. Downtown growth with activities on or near the river. White water and other . Springer opera house. Just went blank. Southern Bee

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

You want to avoid the south because of crime and corruption.  That also applies to DeKalb and most of Fulton County.  Taxes are much higher than you think, and Atlanta has VERY high water bills.  For some reason, they still can't get their billing issues fixed after all these years.  Any area that can keep you off 75, 400 or the north side on 285 is a bonus.  

Douglas, Cobb, Gwinnett and Walton counties all have great areas, but you have to do your research.  

I should add that traffic can vary greatly depending on direction and time of day.  The three freeways I mentioned above though can be brutal most daytime hours.  I need to go to Chamblee this week, and I'm dreading the 285 portion.  

Read it! New England Journal of Medicine—May 21, 2020
Universal Masking in Hospitals in the Covid-19 Era

“We know that wearing a mask outside health care facilities offers little, if any, protection from infection.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Woodstock is a beautiful, little growing town... I know, have lived out here since the early 90's, plus I am really close to Canton.  There is a Northside hospital in Canton, a huge Northside Hospital being built on I-575 and Piedmont Hospital is in Jasper..  we love it out here. We are Kaiser patients and have a Comprehensive Clinic in Kennesaw and there's offices in Holly Springs..

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Trusted Contributor

@Beaches 1956 wrote:

Gwinnett County has the best school systems and lowest taxes. I pay $2700 a year and $1700 goes to the school system. House is 3000 sq ft - $270k. Traffic has become unbearable and cannot wait to escape. One hour commute in the morning and 2 hours in the afternoon. Your best bet is Gainesville, Columbus, Athens or Savannah. Hospitals are all over Atlanta. I have lived here over 40 years and would not recommend it,

Big noooooooooo to Gainesville.  I go through there constantly at both rush hours, and it's awful.  Most go to Athens for medical care, and it's not exactly the next town over.  They also get a lot of North Georgia commuters.  

Read it! New England Journal of Medicine—May 21, 2020
Universal Masking in Hospitals in the Covid-19 Era

“We know that wearing a mask outside health care facilities offers little, if any, protection from infection.