Honored Contributor

Anyone here live in GA? From GA?

[ Edited ]

Any info you can share?

Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone here live in GA? From GA? May be moving there....

@SahmIam wrote:

Looking at Woodmont/Canton and Peachtree City. 

Any info you can share?

@SahmIam- I live in Metro Atlanta. Canton is north of the city and Peachtree City is south. I've never heard of Woodmont. I'll be glad to help you if I can. My first question to you would be are you coming here for a job?  If so, you should concentrate your search near your employment of you can. Our rush hours are brutal. 

I live north of the city. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Trusted Contributor

@gidgetgh

You are NOT even kidding about the traffic! Atlanta traffic is about the worst traffic I have ever encountered!

If I lived there, i would be sure to live very close to my workplace!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gidgetgh  Yes and no.

Woodmont Golf and Country Club in Caton is the community a good friend suggested.

Frequent Contributor

Could you be thinking of Woodstock?  It is near Canton.  Totally agree with gighetgh, live near your place of employment!  Traffic is terrible.  All of those areas are very nice, lots to do etc.  If you are looking south of ATL, look at Newnan also...near Peachtree City.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SahmIam wrote:

@gidgetgh  Yes and no. Complicated but commuting to the city won't be an issue except for a rare meeting for DH.

Woodmont Golf and Country Club in Caton is the community a good friend suggested. From what I'm reading/hearing/being told:

*avoid south of the city

*avoid the city

*traffic is horrendous (MD/DC/VA ain't no vacation)

*Buck County is the most expensive.

Like everyone, looking for EXCELLENT schools, close to a large hospital (inlaws will be relocating with us and they are in their early 80's and my eldest is disabled), low crime and close to shopping without it being in my face. Suggestions on what to look at/research/sites/areas/etc?

@SahmIam- I'm partial to my area. Cobb County, specifically East Cobb County. Still manageable traffic, close to three malls without them being too close, lower taxes than Fulton County (which is the county Atlanta proper is in).  Anything you could need right by us.  Three very good hospitals close by (Northside, Emory/St. Joseph's and North Fulton). The Roswell area is very nice.  I'm VERY familiar with it.  It's next to east Cobb, but in Fulton County so the taxes are higher. The cities of Milton, Alpharetta and John's Creek, just north of Roswell would be good too, all in Fulton County, with great schools. Oh....part of the city of Roswell is in East Cobb County. The high schools in East Cobb are some of the best in the state (Walton, Lassiter, Pope). 

We don't have a Buck County. 

I've lived here, north of the city, for 46 years. You asked about Canton.  It's north. A little too far north of the city for my tast, but a nice area. You'd be further from the hospitals there. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Respected Contributor

@SahmIam wrote:

Woodmont:

http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-search/Woodmont_Canton_GA/type-single-family-home

Commuting to the city will NOT be an issue. South of the city has not been suggested due to crime issues but then Peachtree was given to me and I saw it's south of the city, so.... that's why I'm asking here.

When it comes to housing, you sure do get a lot for money!

Honored Contributor

@gidgetgh  Ack, I'm sorry. Bucks County is in PA. I meant Buckhead. 

Honored Contributor

@gidgetgh  Thank you for that info!! I'm going to check out the hospitals and see what is there for seniors as well.

I will look into all the areas you mentioned. Again, thank you SO much!! : )