Honored Contributor

Anyone here from Columbus, Ohio...or there abouts??

[ Edited ]

I am going to Columbus  for a few days next Friday, Oct. 12.  I will be visiting my granddaughter in college, and staying downtown.  Can anyone help me with attractions to see, or things to do?  I know there is an art museum, and I will be doing that.

how is the weather?  Is it cold enough to wear a sweater.?  I was thinking of leggings and  a Lori Goldstein cashmere/cotton tunic sweater.  It is pretty light.    I am from California and we are still in flip flops and sundresses.  Lol. But I do own a light jacket, no coat though.  

Any help is appreciated.  I have never neen to Ohio, looking forward to it.

Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone here from Columbus, Ohio...or there abouts??

@shoekitty  I live just north of the University (assuming your G'Daughter goes to OSU). Regardless, there is a TON of things to do here. Yes we do have a beautiful art museum and east of it there is Franklin Park Conservatory which in my opinion is a must. There's also a lovely topiary garden in the downtown area.

If she does go to OSU there is always the Wexner Center for Arts on campus to visit, a great place to see too. Walk around campus itself, it is huge and also beautiful unto itself.

Get football tickets and sit in one of the biggest most unusual horseshoe shaped stadiums in the country not to mention one of the most winningest college football teams in the country. Even if you're not a football fan to just BE in this Ohio Stadium is an unbelieveable experience, to actually be in the presence of TBDBITL on the field performing the incomparable Script Ohio is something you will truly NEVER ever see, feel, in your lifetime. I kid you not on this!

Food - do you enjoy eating? In the downtown area and Short North area on the edge of downtown you will need time just to choose what type of food you pallette wishes to savor. You'll need a month to be here to try the enormous ethnic food choices offered in this city.

As far as weather is concerned we're still having summer here. The weather folks this morning are calling for temps in the 70s. My best suggestion is to watch the weather reports and pack accordingly. When you live here you soon find 'wait long enought and it will change'. Personally I'm loving the fact that the weather is still really nice here. Yes bring your shades but pack your umbrella too!

Welcome to fine city, enjoy to the fullest. There is so much to do here. Columbus Ohio is a wonderful friendly city with so much to enjoy and see! Safe journey to you next weekend. Please report back in to let (at least) me know what you did, how much you enjoyed your stay.

Respected Contributor

Columbus, Ohio, has a fabulous bookstore: The Book Loft. I really have to get back there someday!

Honored Contributor

@insomniac2  Haven't been here but I've been many times to "Barnes & Noble" bookstore in the Lennox Center Olentangy River Rd. It's huge and very relaxing to visit, spend time, sit down with a few favs, buy a new 2019 calendar or too, a new magazine. This one is very nice.

Respected Contributor

@insomniac2   I just signed on to mention The Book Loft.  It's a great way to spend an afternoon.

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

OSU is home next Saturday against Minnesota so just being in the area will be a blast.  Lots of tailgating and parties will be going on.

If you want to shop, Easton and Polaris are both nice malls. Easton is more high end and is an outside mall.  If the weather is nice, it would be beautiful.

One of my absolute favorite restaurants in Columbus is Marcella's. There are 2 of them, one being right on High Street.  The food is fabulous. Reservations are a must.   

Respected Contributor

There is a Mac Store, not just a counter, at Easton!

Penzey's Spices is fun to go to.

Thurman Cafe for a burger, but you have to get in line when the open.

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva Home football games here on this college campus are CRAZY! With a school population of a city itself within the city there will be three times the population on Saturday.

You noted both malls, you left out the newest 'mall' just  north of these two called Tanger Outlet Mall - a million stores or so it seems, I'd recommend shopping here instead.  And further up the road is a brand new IKEA!

Marcella's Italian Bistro - very good, one of MANY restaurants owned by Cameron Mitchell. He absolutely has cornered the restaurant business ALL TYPES of fabulous eateries in this city. (He's moved into the NYC area now too.)

One of my favs of his is called Cap City Diner on Olentangy River Rd. LOVE this place!

Respected Contributor

I'm about  2 hours away from Columbus.  Try to make it to Short North (shopping and eating), and German Village.

Contributor

Wonderful German restaurant in German Village called Schmidt's. Don't miss the cream puff! And it's fun to walk around that area. Brick streets, cute shops.