Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone here caught up in the rock craze?

How do these painted rocks lying about look any different from discarded candy wrappers and other litter? I don't care to see junk, which these defaced rocks are, everywhere in parks and other public areas. If you like them, keep them in your own yard.

Respected Contributor

Our yard is starting to look like somewhere in the Amazonian jungle no one will find anything in there lol Smiley Very Happy

I will stick with my cable tv. 

Respected Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

How do these painted rocks lying about look any different from discarded candy wrappers and other litter? I don't care to see junk, which these defaced rocks are, everywhere in parks and other public areas. If you like them, keep them in your own yard.

@occasionalrain

Actually, the ones in my neck of the woods were like works of art.  There are a lot of talented people out there.  Which is probably why I never painted any myself...I could not compete with the artistry of others!

You wouldn't believe the images and scenes people could paint, and the way they could use the shape of the rocks as part of the design.

Most incorporated uplifting or inspirational messages or symbols, as well.  They were meant to promote positivity.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=whidbey+island+painted+rocks&qpvt=whidbey+island+painted+rocks&...

Litter?  Certainly not.

Anyway, there was an unspoken rule in my town and the surrounding areas that no rocks were to be placed on private property.  People hid them in public parks, on trails, etc.

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Respected Contributor

I like finding them! They bring a smile to my face....

Poodlepet2

Respected Contributor

I was walking in my neighborhood at the walking track about a month ago and came across 2 beautifully painted rocks. 

I brought them home and put on my back patio.

They brought a smile to my face when I found them.  I like the idea.  

I would paint some myself and place in the neighborhood, but I have zero artistic talent. 

Valued Contributor

All the towns around here have been doing it for months. The reason for it was to get families doing something together, get everybody outside for fresh air, sunshine, and exercise. Getting  kids and adults off the internet and TV for a bit is a great idea.

It was started by local businesses, you would turn in your rock to the business that hid it and claim the prize

The pizza shop gave away a pizza. A canoe shop has a rock out there worth $275 worth of fishing equipment. I've been hoping to find that one. It's gone strictly voluntary, businesses give whatever they want to for a prize.

As more people heard about it, by word of mouth, it morphed into people painting and hiding rocks just for fun. You find them, take them home, take a pic and post on the "Rocks" FB pages that people set up. Then you take them out and rehide them. Each town has it's own Rocks FB.

It's been a lot of fun for kids and adults alike. We've been out sneaking around after dark, spotting other people out sneaking around, hiding rocks...trying to hide from each other, LOL.

Great idea, whoever started it.

Respected Contributor

@garmer, thank you for explaining it! Every day we are bombarded with rotten stuff on the news-except for a few channels, I'm withdrawing more and more from tv.

Division. Division. Division....

....and then I find one of these little rocks and it not only brings a smile to my face, but it brings a warm feeling to my heart. Instead of division and hatred, these rocks underline that we live in communities-and there are many wonderful sweet people in them....these little rocks remind me of what is good about humanity....

We have some really nice river rocks in our beds. Maybe I'll steal a few and decorate around town....

To anyone out there, anybody can do this-which is another thing I love about this: not enough people believe in themselves to try crafts-and many are trying it for the first time!

Spread the joy and the love-nobody is expecting fine art works here. A rainbow is easy enough using acrylic paint-maybe Sharpie markers....if you knew that finding one of these little treasures would bring happiness to somebody having a really bad day, would it matter to you? I hope it does!

ROCK ON!

Poodlepet2

Respected Contributor

@Poodlepet2, you're so clever! ROCK ON. Good one!

Respected Contributor

@esmerelda wrote:

@sidsmom  Similar I think.  I think of it as the geocaching of 2017.

@esmerelda @sidsmom It's the complete opposite of geocaching. With the rocks, you know what you're looking for, but not where it is (and most people aren't "looking;" they simply happen upon the rocks.) With geocaching, you are following coordinates given to tell you where something is, but you don't know what it is unless you find it. The rock thing is much more like Pokémon Go Smiley Wink

Valued Contributor

Ha ha! I am seriously looking for the canoe shop rock. Smiley LOL