Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone have "airline horror stories?"

[ Edited ]

We fly a lot so we've encountered a lot of layovers disrupting connections.  We flew from Newark to Amsterdam and ended up stranded in Iceland for 2 nights. (it turned out to be a good experience.)

When she was in college, my sister was flying from Newark to Chicago.  The plane was hijacked (remember those days?) to Cuba..

We had any early morning flight from Cancun and were seated in the last row next to the lav.  Before take off a young woman came running down the center aisle toward the lav holding her mouth. I was seated on the aisle and as she reached me, she vomited all over me.

Esteemed Contributor

^All braver than I am!

Respected Contributor

Middle seat stuck between a man who needed to buy 2 seats but jammed into one and an equally stout woman in the aisle seat who smelled strongly of urine carrying a cage with a large, stinky, loud parrot. The trip from Hades. 

Respected Contributor

Coming back from Hawaii, our family of 4 had seats in the middle section of coach. I don't know the name of the aircraft but it had the 2 and 2 on the outside and the middle had 6 seats. I had the inner most seat and a young girl not child went to sleep and stretched her legs out across my lap and slept soundly all the way.

Travel has become so tiring due to all the reasons mentioned here. If people would just be considerate and patient of the others. People dont seem to care about travel etiquette such as carry on luggage, waiting in line, loud talking on the plane, leaning seat back, smelly food and bodies, and respecting the space that is yours. Airlines are also to blame. They don't have a high regard for making sure the paying customer has a good experience.

Honored Contributor

@Hooty

"the co-pilot had to open the door and do it manually  ...........  no one else was aware, but us!!!"

What!!!!...wait!!!!  You mean the pilot had to go outside the plane while in the air? faint.gif

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Esteemed Contributor

A coworker and I had a layover in Denver and decided to have lunch at the airport before continuing on home to California.  We ate at a Mexican restaurant, the food was very good, but something did not agree with my stomach.

I had the window seat, my coworker was in the middle, and there was a very large woman on the aisle who did have problems fitting in her seat, so my thought was she would not be able to quickly get up and in the isle if needed.  As soon as we got settled and were about to take off, I could feel my stomach and digestive system gearing up for an "episode."  I was totally panicked, because under the best of circumstances I do not like using the restroom in flight.  I knew between the three of us, it would not be a quick trip out of my seat to get to the restroom if needed.  I was actually sweating at this point, so I decided to try calm myself and meditate, as much as possible on an airplane, to believe my stomach was fine (plus ginger ale helped too).

I don't know how I did it, but my stomach behaved itself until we started to land.  I could feel it starting up again, but I did make it off the plane and to the airport bathroom in time!

Honored Contributor

@Caligurll "We ate at a Mexican restaurant"

Sounds like you had Montizuma's Revenge.  You don't hear about that now.  Back in the 60's & 70's you heard about this alot especially from tourist who travelled in Mexico.

Esteemed Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

@Caligurll "We ate at a Mexican restaurant"

Sounds like you had Montizuma's Revenge.  You don't hear about that now.  Back in the 60's & 70's you heard about this alot especially from tourist who travelled in Mexico.

@Mz iMac

Yes!  Totally!  I haven't heard that term in a long time.  I know I will never forget it, and now I am a lot more careful about what I eat (and drink too) before I get on an airplane.

Honored Contributor

@Caligurll

On my first cruise, one of the stops was Mexico.  All passengers were warned NOT TO EAT THE FOOD.  However, we could have all the alcohol drinks Mexico had to offer.

That is when I fell in love with tiquila.  Don Julio, Patron & Jose Cuervo are my long term paramours.

Respected Contributor

My first time flying (to Hawaii) in 2002 ---- we had just gotten our drinks and were having a merry ole time when we hit turbulence.  The plane literally dropped - our drinks went everywhere.  I was scared out of my freakin' mind.  

Long story short --- I hate flying.