Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone have "airline horror stories?"

A friend and I were boarded on a small, single engine Piper. We were flying over eastern Utah near Moab. There was so much turbulance because of the terraine below with all the canyons and buttes. I swear this guy was on one of the wings....

f2330903fa1d2e2fae302cac09c3f06c.jpg

"Terror at 20000 Feet" Twilight Zone

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

It was a cross-country flight, and while not a "horror story," certainly one I will never forget.

DH and I always try to get aisle seats, he on one side with me across the aisle.  It gives us a sense of a little extra room.  So, I was in my seat, with the two others in my row still empty.  As I looked up, a pleasant looking young man approached and mouthed to me, "I'm so sorry."  ??  Lo and behold, behind this young man was a massive, I mean, gargantuan man.

It was explained that this mountain of a human was a college football recruit. He was terrified about flying, so he was being accompanied by the other. He was so scared, in fact, he could not sit by the window and, furthermore, the shade on the window had to be drawn to prevent the possibility of his seeing out.

So there we were.  I sat the entire span of the U.S.A. next to a profusely sweating giant who could easily have filled two seats.  Oh, and, at takeoff, he impulsively grabbed onto and squeezed my hand as if his life depended on it.

Edited to correct a typo

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Esteemed Contributor

@mantaraye wrote:

My fellow passenger, sitting at the window sea,t proceeded to remove her shoes and started clipping her toe nails. When she was fiinished with her toe nails, she started to cut the callouses on her foot.

She was in the window seat, I was on the aisle.  The middle seat was empty. ,

Revolting.

@mantaraye That reminds me of a coworker I had years ago.  I went into his office one morning to say hello and he had his foot on his chair and was clipping his toe nails.  Turned out he did that a lot.  His door was open,, so it wasn't like he thought he was doing it in private.

At least I could get away from that sight though!

Trusted Contributor

Neither of my "horror stories" are as bad as some that I've read here!

1. Coming into Philadelphia airport, there had just been a very bad thunderstorm with torrential rain. The plane could not land. We circled for over an hour; I kept seeing the same water tower over and over and over again. At least we didn't run out of fuel.

2. Coming into Oakland, CA airport we had started our descent - again in bad weather. All I could see through any of the windows were big, fluffy, dark grey clouds. The descent was going along pretty well, although a little bumpy, when all of a sudden that plane nosed up extremely quickly. It made me wonder if we had some kind of close call to coliding with another plane.

I have been on flights where I've sat next to some heavy people that have encroached on my seat. One guy apologized right off the bat and he was a very nice neighbor throughout the flight. I haven't yet had the obnoixious neighbors - of any size. I guess I'm due at some time in the future.

Respected Contributor

I'm glad I traveled a lot when I was younger. I don't think I could hack it these days. Luckily my close relatives are all within a comfortable driving distance. 

Honored Contributor

@Goldengate8361 wrote:

I had a business trip yesterday (on a sunny pretty summer day) and my return flight---a mere 1.5 hour flight---took 10 hours.....filled with painful long lines, really slow counter service, standing by rude crazy fellow travelers, etc. You get the picture, right? In an era of unprecedented technology expertise (app development, etc.), WHY can't airlines automate processes better when flights are cancelled? I actually still have a headache this morning from the experience. Anyone else have nightmare experiences with flying?

@Goldengate8361: That's lousy! You probably could have driven home-- or taken a bus or train-- in half that time.

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Respected Contributor

Aside from the long lines, cramped quarters, turbulence and delayed flight times, it seems I am always stuck with the kid behind me who kicks the seat for 6 hours.

I now say something, and have, I am sure, ticked off many a mother!

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Trusted Contributor

Love the stories.  I don't fly anymore, we take cruises or drive or don't go.  Too many horror stories to recount.  One funny one though....all you folks who are talking about being squished.  I was placed between two NFL players on a flight.  Huge, I mean huge people.    Delightful  guys though.  I figured if the plane went down I would be saved, squished between these two football guys.

Contributor

I fly almost every week for work.  Can be as short as a 1 hour flight or all the way to Europe.  There are almost always problems  with intra-U.S.  flights.   Every FREAKING  week.  The last  two  day have been particularly bad for the mid west and  east coast.  I was lucky yesterday that I was going west and had no problems.  My coworkders,  goiing  east and  south --    NIGHTMARES for them all.  For once, it wasn't me.  Air travel has become so unpleasant.  I dread it every Monday morning  and Thursday night.  But,  it is my job.

Esteemed Contributor

I fly often, mostly international, I love everything about flying and never had a serious problem that I can complain about.  Once I had a long delay in Italy as the mechanics found a problem with the brakes and I was glad they found it...we were fed a terrific big meal at a local hotel and all checked in for the night, then, a knock came on our doors announcing a plane would be leaving at 7 pm....so, that's the worst thing that has ever happened to me and I rate it as a minor inconvenience.  I don't mind TSA check in and just leave home earlier; it's for our security and Safety so it doesn't bother me.