Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone have "airline horror stories?"

Over all, I think I've been fortunate.  Over 40 years ago I lived in Europe for a couple of years and didn't have any problems going, coming, or travelling around.

FF to the 80s and I travelled the world for about 20 years and still things, over all, went well.

I did have some 'screaming kids' situations and I know that POV isn't allowed here but, trust me and I hope you never have to deal with this, for somebody with extreme tinnitis any sounds that are loud, shrill, nearby and high-pitched, wreak absolute havoc in your head.   It will set the tinnitis into high gear and you just want to shove a pencil through your head.

Between that, kids kicking the back of your seat, and delays I got out in pretty good shape for all those years.  Smiley Happy

One thing that was a drag was in another country a customs guy broke my sunglasses.  Now, for me, that was pretty awful because I have to wear prescription sunglasses, which cost a fair amount, and have super sensitive eyes so any time I go outside, if it is day time whether it's sunny or not, I have to wear very dark sunglasses.

I almost complained but I also know that being in another country you can cause yourself some problems and delays so I just kept my mouth shut and we proceeded to our flight.   I was pretty upset, though, as it didn't need to happen and now I was going to have to go home and have another pair made.  At least it didn't happen on the way to our vacation!  Smiley Happy

Super Contributor

My fellow passenger, sitting at the window sea,t proceeded to remove her shoes and started clipping her toe nails. When she was fiinished with her toe nails, she started to cut the callouses on her foot.

She was in the window seat, I was on the aisle.  The middle seat was empty. ,

Revolting.

Respected Contributor

I pretty much lived on airplanes, here and in Europe, in my career so I have a lot of stories about bad weather and missed flights and sleeping in airports and all of that. But the most annoying part of travel  involved dealing with other travelers--boorish people who took their shoes off, those sitting next to me who would not stop talking, crying children (even though I figured they couldn't help it), complainers, travelers making fun of others, and much, much more. Day after day, it adds a lot if stress to a life on the road. I made a point of being polite and trying to cocoon myself in a quiet place inside my own psyche, but it took a toll. One morning, I saw a well dressed obese woman across the aisle from me start to cry when two other nearby female travelers started snickering and loudly denigrating her when she asked for a seatbelt extension. I just thanked God that obesity isn't one if my many problems and faults, and it was one of the  times when I  made a point of reaching out and talking to another flyer. I could see that this woman was in business and had a briefcase, as did I, and I asked her about her business and  where she was going to show her some respect and get her mind off the rude people around her. When I took early retirement, I was happy to get away from airports and crowded planes.

Honored Contributor

14 july

I have not flown in years. The last time i as on an airline it was a flight from east coast to west coast and back again (DH family lives on west coast).

On flight back from west coast the lady who sat next to me was rather hefty. You could not get out to use the ladies room. I hadn't drunk much to I was able to get thru without using restroom. The kicker of the flight was, this lady asked where i was coming from or going to. I replied very casual we had flown out west to visit family and we were on way back home. She asked where dh family lived, I told her and oh my gosh, it just set her off on some wild tangent. She became so upset that we were in the next seat and how dare we fly this flight. It was awful. She was caring on about how dh family was super wealthy (which they are not).  I was never so glad to get off a flight. 

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am on a plane several times a week and I am very patient. I am loyal to Southwest as much as possible and that makes travel easier for me. Overall, I've had some issues, but I roll with them. Except TSA - I have little patience for it anymore. I am TSA Pre, too.

The latest issue was after the plane had landed. Child- age 7 or so who had been so good during the flight - became restless. Something was wrong. He was sick. Mom says, "we need to get to the bathroom now!". Several of us got back into our seats so they could get up the aisle. This was Delta and several of the first class passengers got back to their seats. One refused. He ended up being thrown-up on. Must say he deserved it!

Honored Contributor

A few times worst was on Spirit Air coming home from Myrtle Beach, to La Guardia, the 90 or so minute flight was delayed at least 3 hours, and then it was one of the most turbulent flights I had been on. Thank g-d there were a bunch of golfers who kept me laughing or I would of gone out of my mind

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

We were returning back from London on a night flight with the kids and we encountered turbulence due to the remains of some hurricane. Anyway, we were all confined to our seats. As luck would have it, our middle child got air sick and there were no air sickness bags nearby and I went to get up to assist him. The stewardess got all cranky with me -- and told me to remain seated (apparently if anyone gets up, the stewardesses can be fined). I had to tell my child to use the airline blanket. He did and when we were finally allowed up, I took the blanket and tossed it on the ground near where this stewardess sat. At that point, I just didn't care -- mamma bear had gone into action.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

@Hooty

"the co-pilot had to open the door and do it manually  ...........  no one else was aware, but us!!!"

What!!!!...wait!!!!  You mean the pilot had to go outside the plane while in the air? faint.gif

@Mz iMac No  .............  he did it from inside the plane, and it was the co-pilot!  

Honored Contributor

@Hooty wrote:

@Mz iMac wrote:

@Hooty

"the co-pilot had to open the door and do it manually  ...........  no one else was aware, but us!!!"

What!!!!...wait!!!!  You mean the pilot had to go outside the plane while in the air? faint.gif

@Mz iMac No  .............  he did it from inside the plane, and it was the co-pilot!  

whew.gif

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

My friend and I were flying from Tampa to White Plains.  We were seated in the last row of the plane, which is always a little bumpier.  We had just been served.  My friend had coffee.  The plane suddenly dropped.  The coffee was in the air until we leveled out.  It was probably a minute or two.  The coffee came down all over my friend.  It was really hot, so she stood up.  The flight attendant was in back with us and quickly scolded her.  That was a rough flight.  I didn't fly for years after that.