Esteemed Contributor

Anyone have "airline horror stories?"

I had a business trip yesterday (on a sunny pretty summer day) and my return flight---a mere 1.5 hour flight---took 10 hours.....filled with painful long lines, really slow counter service, standing by rude crazy fellow travelers, etc. You get the picture, right? In an era of unprecedented technology expertise (app development, etc.), WHY can't airlines automate processes better when flights are cancelled? I actually still have a headache this morning from the experience. Anyone else have nightmare experiences with flying?

Valued Contributor

Re: Anyone have "airline horror stories?"

Every time I fly!  Luckily I only fly about 6x a year.

Esteemed Contributor

NOt from the actual airline itself, just the passengers.  Two obese people sat behind us once and what a miserable trip they made things for others and the airline.  They didn't fit in the sets and had to have the seat fall back to accomdate them and that didn't make the folks behind them happy.  They wanted the food everyone else didn't want to eat - three trays each - gross.  They snored so all could hear.  They smelled as well. 

Yes, I understand now why they are called air buses.  They transport cattle. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Honored Contributor

My first time (and LAST) time on a small "communter" plane traveling w/my then teenage daughter.  Flight was 2 hours.

The plane suddently hit an air turbulence so bad, all of us passengers 30 or so were on the floor before we could fasten our seat belts.  Food & drinks flew everywhere.  Lasted for about 2 minutes but felt like 5.

Afterwards, EVERYBODY was given FREE alcohol including my underaged daughter.

Airlines:  USAir

NEVER AGAIN did I fly on a communiter plane.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

My husband travels via airplane A LOT.  He was a long time Continental customer with high status.  Then United took over and the airline went to S _ _ _.  They took away privileges, changed how miles were earned making it less lucrative, gave worthless coupons as compensation for this and that, flight attendants became rude, etc.  His biggest complaint is that people who have and use a Chase credit card can get a higher status than he does (preference for upgrades to first class, entrance to the clubs, etc), when he has his butt on paid for flights and others don't.  We refuse to get a Chase credit card and play their game.  He complains about United all the time.

I know this was not the intent of the post, but I just had to pass along his frustration (because I hear it so often.....)

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Honored Contributor

A trip to Hawaii was ruined on the way home due to a 13 hour layover/stopover/unplanned whatever you call it.

American Airlines. 

All we were offered was a $15 each coupon for a junk restaurant at the airport.

When I got home I called and complained LOUDLY and they credited us the entire trip to my card.

I have a Chase Card and use Southwest a lot.  No problems with them.  We fly quite a bit.

Honored Contributor

Every flight I've taken in the past 7 or 8 years has been an absolute horror show.  We only travel for pleasure and we are seriously considering taking one vacation every 12-18 months and flying first class.   Thinking about it. 

Honored Contributor

It's not really a "horror" story, but it was very scary   ........  coming back from overseas (Crete, Greece) after being stationed there  2yrs., we were flying Luftansa from Athens to Frankfurt, Germany, when my husband (an AF pilot) noticed the landing gear would not come down, and the co-pilot had to open the door and do it manually  ...........  no one else was aware, but us!!!

Super Contributor

One of my jobs required lots of international travel and I was on a flight from London to U.S. when plane encountered tremendous turbulenvce.

Pilot said they were hitting 225 mph winds.  That 747 was like a toy bouncing in the air.  We were mid-point over the Atlantic.

Ever since then I have to take Ativan when flying.

Can't wait till they invent "beam me up" transportation.....

Honored Contributor

Another interesting story from this same trip coming from overseas  ............  after flying out of Frankfurt, Germany to Philadelphia, PA, we had to stop in Gander, Newfoundland to refuel  ............  not till later after we got back on the plane, my husband told me about a mysterious plane crash that had happen a few years earlier taking off from the Gander Airport where the crash had been a cover-up, thankfully I did not know that beforehand!