Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone have "airline horror stories?"

I HATE to fly anymore and almost always get an upper respiratory infection when I do. I used to love to fly but now they cram you in like sardines and the people you come in contact with are so rude .... I just hate it. I will have to fly to Florida this week and I'm not looking forward to it. I only fly when absolutely necessary.

Honored Contributor

The absolute worst was a woman who dropped her very heavy bag out of the carry on bin right down onto my DH's shoulder when he was still sitting in his seat , dislocating his shoulder. He still has issues with that shoulder and it has been around 10 years now. The airline was fabulous about it - getting us right to the hospital and taking care of us in every way they could. The woman who did it did not even say she was sorry - just walked away like nothing had happened.

New Contributor

I was in the Houston airport waiting for my flight to London.....when unbeknowing to any of us our Airline "Braniff" had just gone out of business.  Our luggage had been checked in to Dallas but our flight was constantly announced as being delayed.  After many hours we were told that British Calendonian would take us to London.  When getting off the plane 9 hrs. later a British reporter put a microphone in my face and asked how it felt to have my Airline go out of business before the flight.  I said there must be some mistake....however, it was true that I was in England with a return ticket that was no good and my luggage was later found still sitting in the Dallas Airport.  Long story short when leaving London, Pan Am let me fly home to Houston with them.           

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

I have travelled by air often enough to have many horror stories, including once that proved the Home Alone movies could happen. 

Just a few days ago, I travelled over 2000 miles with two flights and everything was perfect. TSA security took only about three minutes at O'Hare.  Hope it stays that way.  I sympathize with anyone having trouble.

Honored Contributor

@debcakes wrote:

I have travelled by air often enough to have many horror stories, including once that proved the Home Alone movies could happen. 

Just a few days ago, I travelled over 2000 miles with two flights and everything was perfect. TSA security took only about three minutes at O'Hare.  Hope it stays that way.  I sympathize with anyone having trouble.

What happened with that Home Alone incident.  Child on the wrong airline?  That was always a nightmare with me.  Being on the wrong plane.  Like that guy who was supposed to fly to Oakland (CA) and wound up going to Aukland New Zealand.

Honored Contributor

I have a terrible fear of flying and will be going on a plane at Christmas.I do t know why I read all of your posts cause I didn't need anymore reasons to dread the trip.I have something wrong with me that causes me to want to hear more so that I can be completely terrified ahead of time.

Trusted Contributor

@songbird

It's a long story.  My whole family, ten of us were going on the trip. First, the limo taking us to O'Hare broke down but managed to get us to where we could catch a bus. Of course, we were late for the flight,  it all flights that day were late or cancelled. It was one of the worst days in the O'Hare history.  We had to get to N Y.  Our group was comprised of people fro 2years old to 75.  No one could figure out what flight we could get, so I sent my teenage daughter running to the gates to find a flight to NY that would get us there on time. This was 2000, so security was not so difficult. I had just bought those Wilkie talkie things, so she called me when she found a flight. We all started running to the gate with my dad and the 2year old on some kind of scooter. My husband was prone to disappearing, so I had no idea where he was. We got to the gate and the agent said he could take us but we had to hurry. We had no boarding passes and just ran on and took any seats we could find. They closed the doors as soon as we were in. I stood up to count my family and could not find my husband. No one else knew where he was, either. Then a woman, a total stranger, said don't worry, "I saw a man who could be your husband. I looked at the men on the plane and thought that almost everyone of them looked like they could be my husband and that he could possibly not be on the plane. Since there were 50 of us on that flight for the same flight to TelAviv, they held the plane. We had to run to that one, too, and I still did not see him. Finally found him once we landed. While on the plane, they called my sister up front to tell her that her luggage didn't make it on the plane.  I was secretly pleased that it was not mine left behind. Then the other 9 of us looked for our luggage and found out that all of our luggage had been checked in under her name. No one had anything. 

Believe it or not that was the short version.

sorry, I cannot  correct the spelling mistakes on my iPad.