Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone have friends/family not complying with restrictions?

[ Edited ]

I have a friend who is 76 years old, bad arthritis in her hips, and diabetes she does not even attempt to control. She called me the other day and asked if I wanted to go run some errands with her...like the dry cleaners, drugstore, grocery store, etc. I said no, we were staying inside as the state order says to do...and she was appalled. Says the whole thing is overblown and we are being ridiculous. I do hope she is okay. She is one of the people who will cause the rest of us to have to stay inside even longer.

Esteemed Contributor

Proud of my family. I have several family members who are on front lines in their various occupations. Others are teachers who are trying not only to teach classes online but teach their own children at home. I am concerned about too many of them and I wouldn't want to dishonor their efforts and sacrifices. Plus, complying is the ethical thing to do -- unless you are selfish and oppositionally defiant.

I have a couple of friends who I've known for decades. Although we're not especially close now, we have a history. Their church community has always been important and I'm seeing a defiance about gathering together from them. I didn't realize they were so co-dependent on their church family. 

I have a cousin from the panhandle of TX. Love her dearly. We look more like sisters than my own sis. Well, she was slow to acknowledge how potent and potentially destructive this virus is. Her husband is even a pharmacist. But more importantly -- they are intense tea party political people.... no need to finish. Only a cousin and a couple of friends have surprised me. Everyone else makes me proud.    

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

@wakefield64 

I’m sorry that your friends are not taking the situation seriously. I’m sure they know the situation so I’m not sure anything you could say would make a difference. 

Everyone I know - friends & family alike - is staying home and not going out. The exception being those with essential jobs that mean they have to leave their home.

Respected Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

My family is following the recommendations but I have a next door neighbor who isn't. There are people coming and going from their house daily. Another neighbor, recovering from cancer, visits there too.

I wouldn't mind the rising death toll so much if just the risk taking non-compliant were those dying but, unfortunately, most are probably their innocent victims.

It's occurred to me that people with drug habits and those who supply them won't be likely to comply with the coronavirus protocols. Your observation about your neighbor reminded me of a family (older couple and grown son) who had a steady stream of traffic to their home. The house was set back from the street and had a long drive, so if you lived nearby you saw this happening on a daily basis. It was funny to learn that other neighbors had also drawn the conclusion that the family was selling weed. Things died down after a big bust in a neighboring town.

Respected Contributor

I think @jeanlake hit the nail on the head with that "defiance" concept.  There is so much defiance and repudiation of science in the air that these losers think they can do as they please.  It amounts to a I'm Proud To Be Dumb club.

Honored Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

My family is following the recommendations but I have a next door neighbor who isn't. There are people coming and going from their house daily. Another neighbor, recovering from cancer, visits there too.

I wouldn't mind the rising death toll so much if just the risk taking non-compliant were those dying but, unfortunately, most are probably their innocent victims.

@occasionalrain   You cannot prove that those who have passed away were victims of the non-compliant.

Any rising death toll is an issue all of us could face whether compliant or not.

I find anybody who wouldn't mind a rising death toll if only non-compliant people were dying really a horrid thing to say.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

I haven't heard of anyone in my circle not respecting the guidelines.  I'm working from home since March 16.  I go out every 8 days or so for groceries.  I go on a weekday afternoon and am in and out.  

Valued Contributor

@ Lipstick Diva -  The poster you are referring to also posted a couple of weeks ago about going to her community pool with her grandchildren.  She said it was crowded and everyone had such fun.

I posted about how ridiculous that was and she replied, "scolding" me for not reading her post correctly.   Oh, I read it correctly alright.  lol  

Esteemed Contributor

@KarenQVC   Oppositional Defiant Disorder is a term most often used with children's behavior, but we know adults who, under diress, display negative and hostile behaviors and refuse to comply with rules and regs. 

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Esteemed Contributor

@wakefield64 wrote:

I was wondering if anyone else has run into this problem. I have a fairly large family of close friends that are carrying on life like nothing is wrong. They have had a birthday party and are having Easter dinner. I feel frustrated and am not sure anything I would say directly would have any effect. Anyone else run into this, and if so, how do you react to it?

@wakefield64 In my state (NJ) the law is getting involved if people aren't adhering to the restrictions. I know they're doing this in NY as well.