Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone have experience with totaling cars?

[ Edited ]

@Laura14

If this car was damaged enough to fall into the "totaled" category, there are many things that mechanically could have been compromised. Some can be seen and/or diagnosed, some cannot be seen or in any way Diagnosed, even in this advanced computer/electronic age. You find out what they are when they happen.

Would I keep a roughly 4 year old car that was in a physical wreck bad enough to reach the "totaled" state? Nope!  From your reference to the "collision guy", I am assuming he is not a close personal friend, but a business man. Many in this and other businesses think primarily of THEIR bottom line.  Even if 1 of my trusted friends that are certified in this business told me what you've said here, no way I would be willing to take that risk.

New cars prices? What you get on a new car/vehicle today is much more than you could get for that same price not that many years ago. Warranties are 1 example.  Don't know what you paid back in 2013 for your car, but if you know how to "wheel and deal(outright price/no trade)", a similar car should fall close in value to your wrecked car.

In my opinion, going with a repaired/totaled car based on what "the collision guy" said? Is not a risk I would be willing to take for my primary mode of transportation.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Contributor

Laura14  Your story is very similar to what happened to me.  Took me 6 months to find a car I liked in 2013  Finally settled on a 2013 Impala LTZ.  Loved my little car  Just like new with very low milage. Another car plowed in to me at an intersection.  No one hurt thank God. My car had to leave on a flat bed. The guy that picked it up said it may be totalled. But would be up to the insurance Co. I was really hoping for repairs also.  Had paid it off a few months early.  Loved no car payment. My ins. co, State Farm totalled it. Cannot complain about the settlement they gave me but still miss my car. This happened Nov8th 2017.  I can not find another car like it.  Have looked all over the internet and none locally.  So I bought another kind and I do not like it at all.  I am watching for something else in the spring. I dont think I would feel safe having it repaired due to the amount of damage it had,even tho the garage is very reputable  So good luck to you.  Hope you let us know what happens.   Anne

Honored Contributor

Years ago, my daughter got ran off the road into a deep culvert and did nearly $10,000 damage to a $17,000 car, and State Farm absolutely would not total that car.   

The frame was slightly damaged, and the insurance company insisted it be straightened.  By machine specs, the straightening process worked, but once the front end was rebuilt, and the car was on the road again, it went thru wheel bearings on that damaged side every 2 months.   There was free replacement on those wheel bearings, but it was such a pain to get the car back in for repair that often.  

We traded that car within 6 months after that accident.  

Respected Contributor

@Laura14  Oh, I am so sorry that happened to you, Laura.  I know how much you love that little sports car (was it a Fiat?  I've forgotten).  The whole situation s--cks, but it happened and you can't turn back the clock.

I certainly understand you not wanting to put out the bucks for a new car.  My Mustang is a 2014 and in 1-1/2 years it will be paid off too, but I wouldn't want to buy a new one even when it's 5 years old, it only has 12,000 miles for Pete's sake!

You've gotten lots of good advice here, and I'm not going to tell you what to do.......only you can make that choice based on all the info you now have.

Laura loves cats!
Valued Contributor

@Laura14, twenty years ago I made the mistake of arguing for the repair of a car rather than totaling it because, like you, my car was very low mileage and I didn't want a car payment.  However, when I did buy a new car, the notation about the car being totaled showed up on the car fax report and then the dealership didn't want to give me the trade-in value they originally mentioned.

Esteemed Contributor

I had a car fire. My Honda was totalled. I went out and, brought a  new car. These things happen. 

Honored Contributor

wrote:

By the time the bodyshop shop tears down the car, there will probably be unseen damage. Then they will have to file for a supplement for those damages, bringing the cost over a total loss.

Did a physical damage appraiser from the body shop look at it? 

An insurance adjuster does an estimate on a computer, not actual teardown.

@nun ya. The collision guy tore down the car and reported it to the insurance company.  The adjuster is now going to run the numbers and make a decision.

Thank you all for your help.  I just hate being pulled back and forth.  I was resigned to the new car and then I had hope and now.... I appreciate the help and support.  Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Even with frame damage, a good repair shop (usually a dealer's shop) will be able to straighten a bent frame without any noticeable driving or maintenance to the vehicle in the future. I was hit by a semi while driving a Honda Accord in the mid-1980's. My car was about 8 months old. The owner of the semi-truck was NOT insured. At the time, I was single and that car was my only method of transportation. I decided to have it repaired by the dealership (my insurance). Was sure I'd turn around and resell it in fear of having a bent frame. When it was repaired, I could not tell the difference at all. I had always traded my Honda's every couple of years or 50,000 miles. So that car took us on long vacations and where we wanted to go without worry or fear! No problems ever. Had several people waiting for me to purchase my next vehicle. People were always willing to buy my cars . . . even that Honda that had been broadsided by a semi! Go for the repairs and enjoy your own vehicle. I never regretted having that car repaired. Happy driving!!

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

You can total your car out. You can get the insurance money.

Then you can take the car back, and fix it yourself. (if they  allow you to have it) Just has to pass inspection. You don't want the title to say salvaged. It hard to insure that way.

I know someone who got the cash and repaired it themselves. Had money left over.

@Laura14

Honored Contributor

wrote:

Even with frame damage, a good repair shop (usually a dealer's shop) will be able to straighten a bent frame without any noticeable driving or maintenance to the vehicle in the future. I was hit by a semi while driving a Honda Accord in the mid-1980's. My car was about 8 months old. The owner of the semi-truck was NOT insured. At the time, I was single and that car was my only method of transportation. I decided to have it repaired by the dealership (my insurance). Was sure I'd turn around and resell it in fear of having a bent frame. When it was repaired, I could not tell the difference at all. I had always traded my Honda's every couple of years or 50,000 miles. So that car took us on long vacations and where we wanted to go without worry or fear! No problems ever. Had several people waiting for me to purchase my next vehicle. People were always willing to buy my cars . . . even that Honda that had been broadsided by a semi! Go for the repairs and enjoy your own vehicle. I never regretted having that car repaired. Happy driving!!

@BirkiLady  Thank you for the hope!  This is a dealership collision shop.  They have fixed my car twice before when another idiot ran a stop sign and rear ended me and also another time when the library created a crater in their parking lot and never marked it.  No issues either time so I do have confidence in their work and it is a lifetime warranty that you leave with for their work.

Still, the other side about getting rid of this car has its merits too.  I am so undecided.  We will see what the insurance company says and go from there.  I just want this to be all over one way or another.