Esteemed Contributor

Re: Anyone have experience with homesick college kid?

Why leave home, when there is free room and board, meals, laundry, and possibly a chauffeur?

Quite a few college courses can be taken on line, so why move out, when you have all the comforts of home?

Esteemed Contributor

Personally, once I left home, I never wanted to go back.

I wanted to spread my wings.

I think that there are some mothers out there whose identity is so wrapped up in being a mom, that they loose who they were before they became a mom.

Also, I think that there are moms out there who would be happy to have their kids stay at home until they got married, and even then, they would want them to live next door.

Respected Contributor

It's only a month in, it will get better. Maybe apply for an on campus job to fill the down time. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

I think that there are some mothers out there whose identity is so wrapped up in being a mom, that they loose who they were before they became a mom.

I don't know any woman who motherhood hasn't changed LOL... I get what you are saying but it's one of those you either care too much or not at all in eyes of everyone else.

Respected Contributor

Being homesick is completely natural. 

Going away to college is a huge adjustment for everyone.   Encourage the student to get involved, meet some new people, and have patience.   

If it doesn't work out, it doesn't work out.   At least give it a semester...

Trusted Contributor

I have a friend who went away to college for two years and she wanted to come home, too.  Her mom made her stay and she recommends to other co-workers here, they do the same.

My son went away, but only for four months for trade school, and he was also homesick.  He didn't ask to come home because he knew he would be coming home soon.

Your friend's first mistake was going there.  Leave the daughter there.  Like anything else, she will get used to it.  Mom cannot rescue her from every difficult situation in life.  She has to learn.  I disagree that there is something else going on with her.  Just homesickness.  Happens to everyone. 

Esteemed Contributor

@nun ya wrote:

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

I don't know any woman who motherhood hasn't changed LOL

What I mean is, these women had interests and hobbies, and a life before they became moms.

They survived before becoming a mom.

Yet, they seem to fall apart, and oh-my-goodness, the world is going to end, because their adult child is leaving home! 

What are they going to do?!

It's like they forgot who they were before they became moms.

Respected Contributor

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

@nun ya wrote:

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

I don't know any woman who motherhood hasn't changed LOL

What I mean is, these women had interests and hobbies, and a life before they became moms.

They survived before becoming a mom.

Yet, they seem to fall apart, and oh-my-goodness, the world is going to end, because their adult child is leaving home! 

What are they going to do?!

It's like they forgot who they were before they became moms.

Plaid, I edited before you replied back. I do get it. It's hard, 18 yrs of your life is spent raising them, you do kind of forget the things you used to be interested in. Once a child is born, it's not about you for a LONG time.

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

This just amazes me.  Something is wrong now days when kids are so often this upset at getting out into adulthood.  Sure it is scary but exciting and liberating at the same time.  

Sorry but I think parents aren't doing a very good job of preparing kids to go out in the world.  And doing them a huge disservice in doing so. 

Isn't getting out on their own and able to cope with life what parenting is all about?  Isn't that the point and the success?

This isn't anything new.  My parents got the same speech from the college when my sister went away because it was happening back then too.    

Respected Contributor

@Lipstickdiva  my daughter met like minded people just going to study at the library. Also joining the photography club. I was just happy she wasn't at the frat parties!!