Respected Contributor

Re: Anyone have experience with homesick college kid?

@Jordan2 wrote:

Maybe she lacks the maturity to have gone away to college. Maybe a gap year would have been good for her.

I was going to past the exact same thing.  If she is that miserable she likely will not do well with her studies.  A gap year would be a good thing.  Not every 18 year old is ready to take the bull by the horns so to speak.  I feel for the kid and her family.

Respected Contributor

My daughter came home quite a bit the first yr. They will eventually meet some new friends. It is hard for the shy, quiet ones for sure though. And with no cars freshman yr, you really can't go anywhere. I never denied her to come home, I'd rather have her come home, than find something worse to do. Just my thoughts.

Honored Contributor

maybe she should just pull out of school, come home, work a job for this semester, and then apply to a local community college for at least a year or two. THEN she can consider if she wants to transfer to a 4 year college close by or further away.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

Back in the stone age when I went to college, (1989), my mom drove me to the school, and got me set up in my dorm room.

Home was six hours away, so for me, there was no running home.

On the day that my mom left, she shed no tears for me.

We hugged, said "I love you", and that was that.

I was homesick for about an hour, and then I knew that I had to make my own way.

If I missed my mom, which I did, there was always the telephone, or old fashioned hand written letters.

I made use of both.

Honored Contributor

I did not have that problem with either of my daughters, both went away but not real far, and they both adapted very well......It almost sounds to me like something else is going on, not just being homesick. Maybe she wasn't emotionally ready for college......It is so hard as a parent to know the right thing to do, but I think they will come up with the best solution for their daughter......Keep us posted......I hope all goes well, but she won't be the 1st or the last that this happens to.....

Trusted Contributor

This young lady reminds me of me at that age.  I worked my last three years of high school and really loved working.  I had friends and did social things when I had time, but I really loved the aspect of work.  I left after two semesters with a entry level job at a very large company.  Came home and found a small apartment and started my career.  I finished by degree by going to school at night, took a while, but I loved it.  It was the best decsion for me, never regretted it.

Honored Contributor

A co-worker went through this with her daughter last year.  If she didn't come home, or her mother didn't go down there, she sat in her dorm room by herself.

Her mother forced her into a sorority (the same one she was in) and that helped as she made friends and started to slowly adapt.

My niece, on the other hand, is like her father and "never met a stranger."  At her college, they set you up on social media long the second you accept, so by the time she got there in August, she had 200 friends and felt she "knew" a bunch of people already.  To me that's a great way to get them acclimated.

I noticed this year, she is the one doing the inviting of the freshman and making sure they have friends.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Trusted Contributor

Not sure what type of area she's going to school in, but maybe she could pick up a part time job around there or even at the school.

Honored Contributor

This just amazes me.  Something is wrong now days when kids are so often this upset at getting out into adulthood.  Sure it is scary but exciting and liberating at the same time.  

Sorry but I think parents aren't doing a very good job of preparing kids to go out in the world.  And doing them a huge disservice in doing so. 

Isn't getting out on their own and able to cope with life what parenting is all about?  Isn't that the point and the success?

Honored Contributor

A lot of kids today have been pampered and just don't have the mental makeup at 18 to be away from home and on their own. My husband left home for college at 17 and never lived at home again, but that was as they say," back in the day". I went to school locally and didn't leave home until I graduated, but I would have loved to have gone away to college.