Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone have experience with homesick college kid?

@Lipstickdiva

It is difficult to understand other parents relationships with their children.

Our DD went away for school.

Her roomate made straight As and drank every single night and was out with boys until 3am!

DD made other life-long friends in the freshman dorm.

Her last three years she lived in a sorority, where she served in offices and as president.

Our nephew and his sister (her cousins) had trouble making friends. They lived mostly in an off-campus apartment. Her brother, our nephew, agreed to help a blind student with his classes. While this was very dear, the blind student was his roomate. Nephew could not make grades of his own and didn't have a social life at all. Nephew was terrifically unhappy that first semester. He is certainly a doll though💙💙💙

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
QVC Customer Care

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Lipstickdiva

What I don't understand is why this young woman has not been acclimating to being away from home .....  this idea about attending college just didn't come up last week!

Kids need age appropriate ways to gain life experiences that make them more "worldly" and confident.   Blue Birds, Girl Scouts, camping, visiting relatives elsewhere ....  any number of ways to see that kids can be away from home for a week or two and have those experiences under their belt.   At age 10, I was at summer camp for 2 weeks .... and it was a great experience.  

IMO, her parents should have been preparing her for this ...  and real life ......   years ago.   

@Tinkrbl44, What are Blue Birds?  She was a Girl Scout and she did the traditional camping trips, etc.  They don't have any relatives that live outside of here in Ohio.  Both her parents have siblings but they all live here.  Grandparents either passed away or live here.   She never had a problem being away with Girl Scouts but that wasn't long. 

I don't know of any kids that went away to camp.  We have summer camp that kids go to but it's in the area and they are home every night.  The only kids I know that left for camp were older and went to band camp. I hear about kids going away to camp all the time but it's just not something that is done around here.  When I was young none of my friends, nor my sister or I went away to any summer camp.  

Esteemed Contributor

Blue Birds also known as Camp Fire, is similar to Girl Scouts.

I was a member when I was small, and they had summer sleep away camps.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camp_Fire