Respected Contributor

Re: Anyone have experience with Roundabouts instead of traffic lights or stop signs

I am all for them in a familiar area where I know when to exit one, but in a strange area they can be nerve wracking!!

Interesting that nearly every post on this thread called them a "roundabout", where I grew up we call them "traffic circles"

I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend, til death, your right to say it
Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone have experience with Roundabouts instead of traffic lights or stop signs

For as long as I can remember, there is a "circle" in a smaller country town.  You can't avoid it to get through the main drag in that town but we don't go that way often and it was different because it was just a huge circle. 

I had a relative who lived in Dublin, near Columbus, and roundabouts were everywhere in Dublin.  They look cute but were a nightmare.  Now they are becoming more popular in cities near me as well.  I just don't like them.  I think because they are new, no one really knows what to do so it's a free for all.  It's like people just go and hope for the best. 

Everywhere I personally know in my area that has a roundabout, they are not on major main roads with a ton of traffic.  I cannot imagine having one on a major road in a large city.       

Honored Contributor

I remember them growing up in Jersey.  I hated them.  I always thought I was going to die when my mother pulled onto the circle.  They are stupid and unnecessary.  Spend the money and put a light.

With the advent of the new circle craze, I am with the people who are driving around them.  High five on that!  I'll be taking the long way around too when they come this way.  

Honored Contributor

This is interesting.  I found this on the City of Dublin, Ohio website about roundabouts.  Interesting to know that a Traffic Circle and Roundabout are actually different.  On the Ohio Dept. of Transportation website there is even a diagram of how to navigate a roundabout and a video as well.

Roundabout Safety

Roundabouts are one of the most effective intersection control treatments available with the added benefit of calming traffic. They limit vehicle speeds to approximately 20 mph and can control vehicle speeds on four streets simultaneously. Roundabouts typically reduce crashes by 40 – 60 percent, reduce injury by 35 – 80 percent and almost completely eliminate incapacitating injury and fatal crashes.

Community gateways and main streets are effective locations for roundabouts as they slow traffic and provide space for an aesthetically pleasing entrance treatment. In addition to the beauty they can provide if landscaped well, roundabouts slow traffic and help pedestrians cross the street.

Roundabouts vs. Traffic Signals

Roundabouts have proven to be much safer than traffic signals. The projected injury crash rate for roundabouts is half that of traditional signals. Additionally, Dublin’s proposed roundabouts would be able to accommodate traffic volume growth in the area through 2025 compared with the programmed traffic signal with minimal turn lanes, which would accommodate through 2009.

Roundabout Crash Reduction

There are two basic premises in which roundabouts achieve crash reductions of 40 to 60 percent when compared to traffic signals and greatly reduce severity on those few crashes that do occur. One is the simple decision making and the second is the low level of conflicts. At a four-way intersection there are 32 possible conflict points between vehicles and only eight at roundabouts. Pedestrians face six conflicts when crossing only one leg of the road whereas at a roundabout they only have two.

Super Contributor

Learned to drive them 50 years ago in Europe. We survived, they survived and we all lived happily ever after. They work well.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Rotaries are everywhere on the Cape with many of them connected to major highways and intersections. We're all used to them except for when the tourists come and want to drive like race car drivers. Some even have arrows to let people know in what direction to follow Woman LOL

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Honored Contributor

I hate them.  I will make the curve to go straight, but left turns, no way.  So I go straight and double back and make a right turn.  Oh, I forgot my first method of coping.  I get DH to chauffer me in those cities.  And those small towns with circles in the center?  I haven't been to one of those lately, either. 

Honored Contributor

The first time we experienced one was in 1971,in England ,we have them here in maine ,heck my home town in Indiana,a very small town has one ,i really like them.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva, I'm not sure I believe the OH DOT's findings. Our newspaper did some investigation and found more accidents than at intersections with traffic lights, but the damages were less serious.

Honored Contributor

wrote:

We are about to get a roundabout.  There is a blinking light at the intersection that is only busy at rush hour in the evening.  We are talking about a rural neighborhood.  We have been blindsided and our local and state govt say ITS A DONE DEAL and we can meet to talk about it.  Not happy because they will take two months to make it happen with many detours.  People rarely yield because in our area... it is always ME FIRST.

We have a couple where I live and I do not understand them.  They seem to cause more traffic.  People are coming from all directions there are no stop signs and it can be confusing.  Ours is near a mall and it is a mess sometimes.