Regular Contributor

Re: Anyone have exp w/ mfg housing

@Venezia wrote:

As some have said, modular homes are not the same as mobile homes (single or double wides).

A modular home is built at the manufacturer's location and brought onto the lot in sections, after the ground work is completed.  It's put on a permanent foundation.

My DH and I had a modular home built.  I did a lot of research and went to home shows where a variety of modulars were on display (fully built) by different manufacturers.  I already had a good idea of what to look for and only one home met the standards I wanted (although there was nothing wrong with the others).

We have been in our home 15 years now and I can tell you it's as solid as a stick-built home.  We've had workmen in for a variety of reasons and even the local tax assessor and not one of them thought it was a modular.  They were all impressed.  Had to laugh when one of them said "Are you sure this is a modular?"  Yes, I'm sure.  I paid for it!

Having said that, the company we went with did things to a higher standard than many.  As you've been told already, check everything in any contract you sign and make sure you get what you want.  it's amazing how many little "details" get missed in any housebuilding project!

(ETA:  Ours is a two-story cape with a full basement.)

I agree completely.  We bought a modular 24 years ago and have had no problems with the construction.  As you stated, it is a good house, and we did our research as well before we purchased, as all modulars are not "created equal".  As another poster mentioned, they are not exposed to the "elements" during constuction, which is a "plus".  Many people have visited our home (including realtors, builders, etc.) and none can determine that is is a modular home as opposed to a stick built.  Our home is  a Colonial.

And, last but not least...modulars ARE NOT the same thing as mobile homes. Modular homes are permanent structures set on a foundation. 

Respected Contributor

Manufactured and modular are two DIFFERENT things. Please do not confuse them.

1. Modular is stick-built in the traditional way but in modules assembled on site on your foundation. 

2. Manufactured housing us built to different standards and is what we used to cell trailers. 

Do do not confuse these!

Respected Contributor

@BohemianGal wrote:

@Venezia wrote:

As some have said, modular homes are not the same as mobile homes (single or double wides).

A modular home is built at the manufacturer's location and brought onto the lot in sections, after the ground work is completed.  It's put on a permanent foundation.

My DH and I had a modular home built.  I did a lot of research and went to home shows where a variety of modulars were on display (fully built) by different manufacturers.  I already had a good idea of what to look for and only one home met the standards I wanted (although there was nothing wrong with the others).

We have been in our home 15 years now and I can tell you it's as solid as a stick-built home.  We've had workmen in for a variety of reasons and even the local tax assessor and not one of them thought it was a modular.  They were all impressed.  Had to laugh when one of them said "Are you sure this is a modular?"  Yes, I'm sure.  I paid for it!

Having said that, the company we went with did things to a higher standard than many.  As you've been told already, check everything in any contract you sign and make sure you get what you want.  it's amazing how many little "details" get missed in any housebuilding project!

I agree completely.  We bought a modular 24 years ago and have had no problems with the construction.  As you stated, it is a good house, and we did our research as well before we purchased, as all modulars are not "created equal".  As another poster mentioned, they are not exposed to the "elements" during constuction, which is a "plus".  Many people have visited our home (including realtors, builders, etc.) and none can determine that is is a modular home as opposed to a stick built.  Our home is  a Colonial.

And, last but not least...modulars ARE NOT the same thing as mobile homes. Modular homes are permanent structures set on a foundation. 

@BohemianGal

One correction: a modular home IS stick built. It is no different from any other stick- built home. It is stick.-built to normal building codes. There is no difference in method of construction. 

Respected Contributor

We call them PreFabs here.    Not all are created equal for sure.    I call them glorified trailers myself.   Some look like trailers and some don't.   Ours does not, and it's better built than our stick house was.   

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Snowpuppy wrote:

Modulars are different than a mobile. They are fixed/attached to a permanent foundation so there's no skirting involved. You can obtain a regular home mortgage on a modular. Not so on a mobile.

Look for customer reviews. Also read about HUD placcarding or HUD tags on HUD dot gov. It means the mfg meets minimum standards. Not all manufacturers carry a HUD placcard.  Also, ask your lender for rec's and their experience. 

Some are quite nice and built well. I visited one vendor near me and as someone said, these were like tin cans!  The price he wanted for a basement was ridiculous.

Agree about comment about mobile vs manufactured and mortgage.  About 8 years ago my niece and her husband found a foreclosure and bc the banks were not sure if it was a mobile home or a modular the potential sale dragged on forever bc as stated above they would not offer a mortgage til this was determined.  Her realtor was useless and no one wanted to put the research into it - I'm retired so I gave it a try.

On one of the back windows there was a small label that had the company and a combo of letters/numbers.  I googled the company name, there was a "contact us" email address and I sent an email.  Explained the situation and asked if they could research their records.  I received an email back - home was indeed a manufactured home, had the whole history and the date it was moved to its present location.  In the email it directed the bank to a POC to provide the proof required for them to get a mortgage.  I told my niece, keep that info with her mortgage bc I suspected if they try to sell, the next person will have the same issue and they'd be stuck unable to sell it and God help them if anyone removes the little sticker off the window!!

Esteemed Contributor

@libbyannE wrote:

Manufactured and modular are two DIFFERENT things. Please do not confuse them.

1. Modular is stick-built in the traditional way but in modules assembled on site on your foundation. 

2. Manufactured housing us built to different standards and is what we used to cell trailers. 

Do do not confuse these!

The main difference is WHO builds the unit.  They build cheap homes too.

If a mobile home (trailer) is set up on property you own and the wheels taken off.....it is considered a HOME.  You can get a mortgage and homestead exemption.  

If it is not on your propery and has wheels (usually taken off) it is considered a "mobile" home and you purchase a vehicle tag, just like an automobile.  

Regular Contributor

@libbyannE wrote:

@BohemianGal wrote:

@Venezia wrote:

@BohemianGal

One correction: a modular home IS stick built. It is no different from any other stick- built home. It is stick.-built to normal building codes. There is no difference in method of construction. 

Regular Contributor

@libbyannE wrote:

@BohemianGal wrote:

@Venezia wrote:

@BohemianGal

Yes @libbyannE....you are absolutely right. Thank you for "clarifying" that information...II didn't explain myself correctly in my post.  Like you said, Modular homes are the same as "stick built"...but are constructed indoors at a construciton facility in several "untis" and then assembled on site (on your property).  They are many times "stronger" then homes built on site, as they are not exposed to the "elements" during construction......

Respected Contributor

@BohemianGal wrote:

@libbyannE wrote:

@BohemianGal wrote:

@Venezia wrote:

@BohemianGal

Yes @libbyannE....you are absolutely right. Thank you for "clarifying" that information...II didn't explain myself correctly in my post.  Like you said, Modular homes are the same as "stick built"...but are constructed indoors at a construciton facility in several "untis" and then assembled on site (on your property).  They are many times "stronger" then homes built on site, as they are not exposed to the "elements" during construction......

@BohemianGal

Absolutely! Good points. I have written articles about this. It's amazing how many people don't understand the difference. A modular home is stick built and delivered in modules to the site. It is built to normal building codes, per wherever you live. I have talked to homeowners, builders, architects who have used modular methods. As I said, "modular" is regular construction. "Manuractured" is mobile home construction, which is completely different. 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Would not have any problem with a modular home.  They are built off site, but they look like an on site home when finished.