Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone have an Amazon Alexa?

I was in the first wave of Echo users--because I'd been an Amazon user since the beginning.  So I got one of the initial batch.

We loved it, used it for a few years, boght some dots to go with it, then it started asking things on its own, making random comments, etc.

It now resides in a dusty box with all the dots in the attic. Hubby worked in IT too many years and understands all too well what it does. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

When your electrical current changes, it can send signals to your electronic devices. 

You don't see the changes but the electrical current in your home fluctuates.  

I have an Echo and a dot in every room.  Love it!

Did you know it can bark?  

Honored Contributor

love our echos......currently have 3 in the home, 1 at our second home, and 1 in the car. ours our connected to my daughters also (i think they have two).....all are on one account. the other day i sent her a "hug" via echo. she said it made her day. i have two with the camera feature, but have the cameras turned off/blocked.

we find them very useful for music, games, trivia, timers, and of course, questions.

if andy griffith said anything close to the word "alexa" it might have picked up on that and then began whatever it heard after that.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

I'd also add that if your relative set up your Echo for you, it could be connected to her account.

And if someone in her household tried playing rap music to all the Echoes in her whole house (which can be done when you have multiple Echoes) your machine could have been included in the group of Echoes that were told to play the music.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Respected Contributor

@VaBelle35 wrote:

Mine has periodically started playing the ESPN Sports Center theme.  I think I have the skill enabled.  Not sure what was setting it off, but it hasn't done it in a very long time.

Always scared the begebegies out of me.

@VaBelle35   I totally understand.  I wasn't sure what was happening.  😜😜

Esteemed Contributor

I was also in the first group to get Echo; me and my extended family own more than 10 (echo, dot, tap). We love them and use them for many things (timers, alarms, questions, recipes, games for grands, music etc).  If they all went poof, we'd immediately replace them;  they are as indispensable as wi fi, GPS, internet and cruise control.

Esteemed Contributor

I have the Amazon Echo in my living room and the Dot in my bedroom. I was of the school of thought that I would never ever use these devices, for the reasons that you mentioned.

I have completely changed my mind on the value. I use them both for everything. Alarm clock, play music or news, grocery list, Target shopping list, turn my lights on and off in the home, timers when I am cooking, track the shipping of my Amazon packages. Random questions that I come up with and the list just goes on.

I honestly can't imagine my life without them. 

Respected Contributor

@Zhills wrote:

When your electrical current changes, it can send signals to your electronic devices. 

You don't see the changes but the electrical current in your home fluctuates.  

I have an Echo and a dot in every room.  Love it!

Did you know it can bark?  

@Zhills   I didn't know it could bark, but my granddaughter told Alexa she farted and it clapped and cheered. 😂🤣😂🤣🤣

Honored Contributor

@Georgiagrama wrote:

@NickNack   Now see, that's what I find so creepy.  I thought that you had to begin any quire with "Alexa".  

At any rate, Alexa is no more at my house.  I feel like I'm being watched 👀. 

@Georgiagrama   When I said "Ava" it must have sounded like "Alexa."  I don't see how she got that I wanted to know how many sons Eve had though.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

I forgot to add that I am constantly learning new things that it can do. Amazon sends an e-mail out periodically to tell you about new functions, but I normally just delete the e-mail. 

The other day I was looking for my phone, because of the calculator feature,  I looked at my Echo and gave it a try and yes it can add figures for you.

I normally look at my phone to see what Alexa has saved for me on various lists, on Thursday I said Alexa, read my Target Shopping list and once again it complied.

It's as if I have a personal assistant.