Esteemed Contributor

Re: Anyone have an Amazon Alexa?

For those that think Amazon employees may be listening in on your conversations why would they particularly want to listen to you or do you think they listen to everyone?

Maybe listening to everyone would be a tremendous boon to the economy because they would need to hire a heck of a lot more employees.

Excerpt from a Jan 6, 2020 Cnet article:

It took Amazon four years to populate the world with 100 million Alexa-powered devices. It took the company just one more year to more than double that number.

The e-commerce titan announced Monday that there are now "hundreds of millions of Alexa-enabled devices" in customers' hands worldwide, a massive increase from the 100 million it announced last January. Both figures include Amazon's own lines of Echo speakers, Fire tablets and Fire TV streamers, as well as third-party devices like wearables, TVs and computers, showing how much Alexa's world has broadened.

Smart-home engagement with Alexa nearly doubled, too, with people using the voice assistant for smart home controls hundreds of millions of times every week.

The company revealed these new milestones at the start of CES 2020, the biggest tech show in the world, where it will present a slew of new partnerships in cars, TVs and connected homes to keep up Alexa's breakneck growth.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

I didn't think it had value until the Echo Show came out.

The screen is everything.  You can watch youtube videos on them.  

I like it for math, weather, news.  

I have Sirius XM all access so I stream that on there now since I don't commute to work, I miss my stations.

When I got one for the bedroom I started using it for an alarm.  I do worry that my wifi will go out and I won't get the alarm, so I use my phone as a backup for when I have to get up for a flight or something important.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Respected Contributor

Nope.  Never had one, and never will.  No need or desire for this unnecessary, high tech invasion of privacy.

Honored Contributor

No we don't have one. Been thinking about it though.

Esteemed Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

They do record some of what's being said.

There is a way you can even find out what's being recorded.  I'll have to find out from my daughter or son in law what's being copied.

You can see the history on the app.  I check mine from time to time, and there's never been anything there that doesn''t belong.  Just me asking Alexa what time it is, how to know if an egg is fresh, questions about the weather, asking "her" to turn on a light, etc.  

Esteemed Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

No we don't have one. Been thinking about it though.

I got my Echo Dot as a gift a few years ago.  It wasn't something I thought I wanted or needed it, but I love it!  So many great uses that make life easier.  I find new things all the time.  Give it a try!

Esteemed Contributor

@I am still oxox wrote:

We have 5 in my apt, 1 each on our bedside, 1 in the bathroom, one in the living room that is hooked to our sneakers and we just added one in the kitchen.

We use it for music and weather reports and all sorts of things

I do not beleive people are listening, why would they listen to a middle income retire couple what would be the point 

You hooked it to your sneakers???   It is 4:00 am and you have given me a good laugh.  I know it was a typo, but struck me so funny!   Thanks

Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 - Well, it someone is listening in my house they must be thinking I'm having an affair with someone named Simon because he talks. Simon is my African Grey parrot and yes, he talks, answers questions, calls my dog and its usually in a man's voice, lol.

Honored Contributor

I have 2 dots--one upstairs and one downstairs and use them all the time. 

also got a wall plug so now I can tell alexa to turn on/off the lights. I use mine for my lists and appts I need to remember as they appear on my phone---use them both as speakers too. Also can use them to announce dinner to the various rooms of my house so I don;t need to scream--"DINNER"---or run back and forth. Very handy and there has been a few funny things alexa has come up saying but nothing creepy. Have had the dots since they arrived on the scene.

Esteemed Contributor

I like the security of having Alexa!

You can call anyone whose number is in your cell phone by using your voice.

It won't call 911 but you can call a friend and ask them to call for you.

If you should fall, you can't always get to your cell phone.  Alexa is always there!