Valued Contributor

Anyone have a street legal golf cart?

We are looking at the Evolution.  What kind do you have? Do you use it?  Tell me about it please.

Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone have a street legal golf cart?

The farmers where I live all seem to have golf carts to ride around their fields and back and forth to the farm house. I do see them on on the country roads with them, but they do not have licenses, so I doubt they are legal for on public roads. I had no idea there was such a thing as a street legal golf cart.

Honored Contributor

I never knew there was such a vehicle.  Is it strictly a Florida thing?

Honored Contributor

I don't know whether they are golf cart vehicles, but I'm seen many that look like that on streets around here. Personally, they look extremely dangerous. I cringe when I see those that have a backward bench with children on them.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

There used to be a poster here that went by the name of golfcartrider.

She used to ride her golf cart everywhere.

I don't know what ever became of her.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Esteemed Contributor

Hidden Hills where the Kardashians live they are all over.

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Esteemed Contributor

Some retirement communities are laid out so you can get to everything you need by golf cart!  Sun City communities are golf cart communities.

Yes, some are street legal.....

WHAT ARE THE REQUIRED COMPONENTS OF AN LSV VEHICLE?

LSV = low speed vehicle (GOLFCARTS)

All vehicles must meet all U.S. federal safety standards for low-speed vehicles (LSVs) and be equipped with:

• Automotive safety windshield glass
  • Three-point safety belts
  • Turn signals
  • Headlights and brake lights
  • Horn
  • Mirrors
  • Windshield wipers
  • On-road tires
  • Parking brake
  • The Manufacturer's Certification Label posted on the vehicle containing the VIN and indicating the TYPE of vehicle as a "Low Speed Vehicle"
  • As an LSV is classified as a street legal vehicle and is permitted to be driven on public roads, your LSV must be insured under an auto policy that includes Personal Injury Protection and Property Damage Liability coverage at a minimum.
  • Most if not all states in which they are legal require them to be insured, registered and operated only by licensed drivers.

Esteemed Contributor

In my small Arizona community I frequently see several golf carts on streets near my home (there are several adjacent golf courses).

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Many have them here as it is not legal to drive outside the community without certain specifications as @Zhills @pointed out.

Now, that doesn't say they dont🙄.

The Sheriff has cracked down on golf carts on public sidewalks & roads in our County.  Lots of people lately being hit & killed.  In fact, there is a large blinking sign on a main artery road here stating "golf carts are illegal to drive on sidewalks & roads" unless street legal & registered.

We just have astandard Club Cart  car golf cart.We only use it inside the community.  We have it insured.  Two of our friends were severely injured when a car hit them -- golf cart no match against a car!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Didn't know any golf carts were "street legal". I keep mine in my third garage and drive it through the HOA commons area, which is approved.

If I golf on another course, I rent a cart. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.