Trusted Contributor

Re: Anyone have a package that the post office lost?

A few weeks ago I ordered a pack of no-show socks from Amazon. Since then, I have been astonished at how many times it has bounced back and forth to various carrier facilities.

The latest update shows that the package was in central Florida, where I live, three days ago at 10 a.m. At 10:29 a.m. an update showed it as arriving at another carrier facility in Providence, RI.

From Florida to Rhode Island in 29 minutes--now that's some fast shipping!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624  I didn't think so either, but ShopHQ  (where the package as coming from) immediately said it was lost and I would have fill in a claim for sent from them to me.  Then return it, etc..... Then about a hour later, I received a notification that my package has been located and sent to the post office to be delivered tomorrow. It was a gold piece of jewelry and was expensive.  So that's why I freaked out when they declared it lost.  Very disappointed with their customer service.  They really didn't know, let alone I was supposed to contact them if the package was late.

Respected Contributor

My on-line pharmacy sent out medication on 12/9.  It moved pretty fast thru the system at first, then stalled with no movement as of 12/15.

Esteemed Contributor

From today's Washington Post::

Competing crises are slamming the U.S. Postal Service just days before Christmas, imperiling the delivery of millions of packages, as the agency contends with spiking coronavirus cases in its workforce, unprecedented volumes of e-commerce orders and the continuing fallout from a hobbled cost-cutting program launched by the postmaster general.

Nearly 19,000 of the agency’s 644,000 workers have called in sick or are isolating because of the virus, according to the American Postal Workers Union. Meanwhile, packages have stacked up inside some postal facilities, leading employees to push them aside to create narrow walkways on shop floors.

Some processing plants are now refusing to accept new mail shipments. The backlogs are so pronounced that some managers have reached out to colleagues in hopes of diverting mail shipments to nearby facilities. But often, those places are full, too. Meanwhile, packages sit on trucks for days waiting for floor space to open so the loads can be sorted.

“[Customers] are screaming, ‘Where’s my package? Why did it go to Jacksonville, Fla., when it’s going to Miami?’ " said Martin Ramirez, president of the APWU Local 170 in Ohio. “I can’t speak on that. I’ve never seen this before where these places are overflowing.”

The end result: Many families won’t see online orders arrive in time for Christmas.

Honored Contributor

I had a pkg that said “ transferred to post office” for two days.,.then it said “ pkg may be lost” and it showed up two days later with no notification or status change. The status wasn’t updated until several days after it was delivered.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@lovesrecess wrote:
I had a pkg that said “ transferred to post office” for two days.,.then it said “ pkg may be lost” and it showed up two days later with no notification or status change. The status wasn't updated until several days after it was delivered.

Yes, the dreaded "transferred to post office " that sits for for days and days.  That means they are in distribution center. Machines sort them, but sometimes they have to do it by hand. That's where a lot of packages get lost. Mine sat in the status for 7 days. I was sure it would be lost.  Earlier I got an email from P.O. saying it would be delivered.  Found it this afternoon in the mailbox.  All states have several distribution centers.  From there they go to your zip code Post Office (your local one)  Watch yourQVC  packages to check the status.  I would watch it to see  it start to sit for a few days there, before finally getting delivered to your post office. we have ahuge one in my state, & that's when all the mail started to clog up.  From roughly 12/10/20.  That when it started to jam up.  Up till then I checked my packages and watch them moved daily.  Till I got to that date.  

Honored Contributor

EUREKA!!! My 2 packages have finally left Rochester, NY and on their way less than an hour away. They've been missing since the 5th of this month!

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Respected Contributor

@songbirdIf you have a USPS Tracking number, take it to the post office.  Let them try to trace it.  Meanwhile, if you charged the item to a credit card, dispute the charge; don't pay for it.

I had a similar incident with FedEx.  Package was supposedly delivered to my house, but never showed up.  I disputed the charge with my credit card.  Lo and behold, the package suddenly showed up several weeks after I filed the dispute.

Honored Contributor

Day 12 of my package, that I mailed to a friend one town over, sitting at the Atlanta postal distribution center. 12 days.  I'm not mad, there are more important things, but you would think that at SOME point, the backlog would start to break, even just a little.  12 days is ridiculous.

Day 11 for a package coming to me from VA.  It got to the Norfolk dist. Center that night and there is no tracking after that.  

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Respected Contributor

I ordered something on November 30 on Etsy, and I still haven't received it. It  has been stuck in Detroit for 4 days.

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. ~ Desmond Tutu