Esteemed Contributor

Are they worth  it and easy to use and clean out. I have cats. Regular vacs are getting  hard to push. Thanks for any information.

Honored Contributor

@halfpint1 wrote:

Are they worth  it and easy to use and clean out. I have cats. Regular vacs are getting  hard to push. Thanks for any information.

@halfpint1

You probably can get a better handle on this if you google Roomba Reviews,  or some version thereof.  I believe it depends on how many pieces of furniture (chair legs etc) are on the floor of the rooms you'll have it vacuum.   

My sister has had one for years and really loves it.  

BTW, I read a statistic somewhere that approximately 80% of Roomba owners name their little guy.   My sister named her Roomba "Sprocket" ... lol.

Valued Contributor

I have had a Roomba 800 series from HSN for about a year. His name is MR.CARSON.   I love my Roomba!  The rollers are made of textured rubber and easy to clean. The older models have  BRUSHES and are difficult to clean.   I have no complaints, I did buy the extend warranty, this is basically a computer on wheels but have had no problems.  The 800series has a larger collection bin than older models, I am amazed at how much CAT FUR is collected.   I love it, the cats? they are very wary of Mr. Carson. LOL

CAT 

Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone have a ROOMBA?

[ Edited ]

My mother had one and I had one several years ago.  I also had a scuba, which I loved,  then my carpets were replaced with hardwood, and the vinyl with wood and tile.  I had serious trouble with the battery's after 2 years use, and new ones were 60 bucks,  I got a dupe battery and it never worked the same again.

i imagine the new ones work better on hardwood.  I had mine when the roombas were all the rage, and they weren't so good on my medium gloss oak hardwood.  There were fine scratches left on the hardwood clear coat.

They do work though, and really clean.  Remember to pick up all foot stools and as much as you can and give the roomba a clear path.  If the carpet is really dirty, you may need to change the dust bin during cleaning cycle.  After a while I just did it so often it got the carpet cleaner and cleaner.  I was really surprised.

i only have one small area in my home with carpet now, and I have housekeepers twice a month.  It is hard to get a vacuum out with my back, so I tend to leave the crud on carpet til cleaners come.  I know if I still had the roomba I might give it a spin a few times between cleanings

Valued Contributor

I'm embarrased to say that I have three. Obviously, I love them.

One is quite old and needs a battery. It only runs for about 10 minutes. The other two are 3yrs and 1yr. They run fine.

We had a large house in NY and I had one on each floor. Now we retired to Florida and our floors are all tile and hardwood. The newer models work better than the older. As mentioned, the brushes were replaced by rubber rollers so they do not get wrapped up with hair.

I still do good cleaning once a week, but the Roombas keep the floors clean in between. I couldn't image living without one.

I do feel they are too expensive, but they have lasted.

Honored Contributor

My neighbor has one.  She has 1 cat, hardware floors w/a few throw rugs. 

Neighbor recently upgraded her Roomba to the 800 series & loves it.  Paid next to nothing for the upgrade because she purchased her Roombas from BBB.  Returned the old one & replaced w/the upgraded series.  She says she does this everytime Roomba upgrades.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Valued Contributor

I have 3 Roombas, one is a "Dirt Dog" for the garage floor.

My husband got my first one as a gift after I had major surgery 10 years ago.  I enjoyed watching it vac while I rested!

Fast forward to present day, adding 2 more, and I'm hooked!  My newest one, "Lil Buddy" is the best of the bunch.  He vacs about an hour, never falls down the stairs, and puts himself back when he's done.  Maybe they will invent one that also empties itself, but for now, I'm in love.

We have had to purchase some new batteries over the years, and they are expensive.  I did need to send one in for repair since nobody can work on them except the manufacturer.  Roomba told me it was an expensive repair, and I purchased a new model at a reduced price.  That probably was a "scam" but the newer one did a better job, so I bit the bullet.

I no longer think of my Roombas as luxuries.  I cannot do the vacing I used to, and with 3 cats (1 is Persian) they are necessities!

Trusted Contributor
Libbylady, I would love the Dirt Dog for the garage floor but I don't think they make them anymore. Lucky you for getting one. I have two of the regular Roombas.
Esteemed Contributor

@halfpint1

Cats love roombas...dogs, eh, not so much...

~~~ I call dibs on the popcorn concession!! ~~~
Honored Contributor

They intrigue me but I think my dog would destroy it.  LOL