Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone have Tricare and Medicare?

@sophiamarie   I think you did a great job at explaining.

Providers (doctors) who do not except Medicare assignment can bill you the difference between what Medicare allowance what has been paid and can bill you this excess charge.

In some  states, like PA and NY..and a few others, all providers must except the Medicare allowance and can't bill you the excess charge.

If the doctor accepts Medicare, they must accept the secondary payment from Tricare too.

You've got to stay on top of some of the doctor's billing practices.  They can and do bill for things that they shouldn't.  Many people pay without questioning.

Esteemed Contributor

@sophiamarie 

I really appreciate your posts and the detail you gave me.  It helped me to understand the system better since I haven't used it yet.  It gave me much needed information.  I appreciate you taking the time to explain things.  Thank you! 

Esteemed Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@sophiamarie   I think you did a great job at explaining.

Providers (doctors) who do not except Medicare assignment can bill you the difference between what Medicare allowance what has been paid and can bill you this excess charge.

In some  states, like PA and NY..and a few others, all providers must except the Medicare allowance and can't bill you the excess charge.

If the doctor accepts Medicare, they must accept the secondary payment from Tricare too.

You've got to stay on top of some of the doctor's billing practices.  They can and do bill for things that they shouldn't.  Many people pay without questioning.

@Carmie   Thank you.  After reading my lengthy post, I thought that maybe a few posters weren't understanding what I meant.  You are right - people have got to ask questions -if not,  they have problems that aren't so easy to correct.  Thx again.

Esteemed Contributor

@cotton4me wrote:

I really appreciate your posts and the detail you gave me.  It helped me to understand the system better since I haven't used it yet.  It gave me much needed information.  I appreciate you taking the time to explain things.  Thank you! 

@cotton4me   Thanks for taking the time to read it all.  You won't be sorry.  Anytime you have questions, please don't hesitate to come here and ask.  We will be happy to help you. 

Hope you had a good day.....

Respected Contributor

I have Medicare and tricare and it pays everything but co pay for medications from express scripts.   I think you can stop the blue shield in a way that you could get it back.  I don’t remember how since we have never needed it.  My husband went through cancer treatment, surgeries, and hospitalizations and every test you can think of and we never get a bill. 

Honored Contributor

I think everyone is so different in their situation that no plan fits everyone well. I can't use Express Script because the drugs I must take are controlled substances...must be signed for at pharmacy and only 30 day supply...with each supply being authorized again; no automatic refills. I thought it was the same across the country, but in our state, it is illegal to deny coverage due to preexisting conditions....