Frequent Contributor

Re: Anyone have Tricare and Medicare?

We have Medicare and  tricare for life.  Hubby has been hospitalized several times.  We have not paid anything.  It is a great combination,  I feel fortunate to have this insurance.  I only show my Medicare and ID card. Everything is taken care from there.  The prescription service is very good.  I have  friends who still go to base to get their meds. I have found it more convenient to use the prescription service. 

Honored Contributor

@cotton4me : Tricare for life- no longer pays for a lot of RX as in years past and federal bcbs makes a difference. Tricare doesn’t pay for pc doctor and Medicare only covers 80% therefore a copay, plus Tricare doesn’t pay all the difference like the federal bcbs.Southern Bee 

Valued Contributor

Interesting discussion.  I am new to Medicare & turn 65 this month.  I have TriCare for Life which I understand will now become my secondary insurance since Medicare will now be primary.  I got a new doctor last year & haven't been in to see him yet this year...looks like I should check in & get these 2 insurances coordinated with him.

My husband was retired military & passed away almost 3 years ago.  He was older so was already established with Medicare/TriCare & told me to go that route when I turned 65.  He was sick for a long time & had numerous ambulance services, hospitalizations, visiting nurses, medications, etc & we never got a bill for anything.  We were always so grateful for all the wonderful care & treatment he had over the years, it was such a blessing!

Honored Contributor

Tricare covers all RX drugs except those that are not medically necessary or over the counter drugs and cosmetic and stop smoking aids.

Federal BC/BS excludes the same drugs as does Medicare Part D and most private RX insurance programs.

I can't imagine why anyone would need Tricare, Medicare and the Federal Insurance Plan, but if anyone feels they need it and they have the money to purchase, it is their choice.  They probably will never get to use it, or if they do, they won't break even.

Occasional Contributor

Medicare will pay 80% for chiropractic, but TriCare for Life doesn’t pay anything for chiropractic.  We've been very pleased with the coverage and they covered everything for breast cancer and I didn’t have any co-pays.  

TriCare for Life has denied some medications but when my doctor sent in paperwork why it was medically necessary they then covered it.  Sometimes we had to pay a bit more, but a lot less than having another insurance coverage.  

Honored Contributor

DH and I are both Medicare/ Tricare for life people. DH is retried military.

we have had NO problem with any of the bills/ surgery dh has had/ hospital stays 2 of them for dh over the past couple of years. Have had well over 6 foot surgeries for me and no problems with bills. All bills have been paid.

i will say one of my foot doctors was the only problem we had. The companies pay on their schedule NOT the when the doctors demand money. One of my foot doctors would demand money every time i came to their office for a visit. They wanted their money on their time not Medicare/tri care time. They demanded i call both places and demand the bill be paid ASAP, or i would be getting the bill and i would be out the money and they (the doctor office would be double paid). 

The companies paid the doctor office and the doctor office got off my back.

Honored Contributor

@AntiqueRose wrote:

Medicare will pay 80% for chiropractic, but TriCare for Life doesn’t pay anything for chiropractic.  We've been very pleased with the coverage and they covered everything for breast cancer and I didn’t have any co-pays.  

TriCare for Life has denied some medications but when my doctor sent in paperwork why it was medically necessary they then covered it.  Sometimes we had to pay a bit more, but a lot less than having another insurance coverage.  

That is very interesting that Tricare doesn't cover chiro services.  Medicare will only cover manipulation of the spine if there is a subluxation of the spine and FEP insurance limits the number of visits a year from a chiropractor.

Esteemed Contributor

It sounds like most of you have done ok with just Tricare and Medicare. That's the info I was looking for.  I really appreciate the input.  My husband wanted to keep Fed BCBS, which he can afford, but looking down the road I'm not sure I could keep up the premiums.   Many thanks to all who responded.  

images (1).jpg

Trusted Contributor

My Mom has both and only pays a $7 co-pay for her prescriptions.

Esteemed Contributor

Looking back at my post, I know it is very "wordy" and may be confusing.

In short     When referred to a new doctor, ALWAYS be sure to ask "Do you accept Assignment?"  That's the only thing you need to know.  If they do - then you have NO problem with Medicare and Tricare for Life.  

Also, with Express Scripts, the charge is $7.00 for a 3 month supply of your meds.  (The $12 I mentioned was if you were getting them at another pharmacy, in which case, you have to pay that $12 copay.... You can't beat Exp. Scripts with a $7 copay for a 3 month supply.

To the poster who mentioned that her doctor didn't/wouldn't accept Tricare - I can only assume that they did not accept "Assignment"....  Otherwise, there would not have been a problem.

Hope I cleared some of this up.  I can get wordy, I know....