Respected Contributor

Re: Anyone going through Hypothyroid Issues?

@Trinity11 wrote:

@cherry wrote:

I just want to add be careful, low thyroid function, and  type 2 diabetes are  inter connected

@cherry, I remember your posting this in the past and I asked my endocrinologist about it. I never knew how  low thyroid is connected with hyperglycemia, also high LDL cholesterol. My doctor found my levels far too high and increased my synthroid and so far there has been a difference in both insulin resistance and my Hashimoto's....so thank you for all the knowledge you post here about diabetes. It is much appreciated.Heart

I've had it for over 30 years.Anyone with it, go to an endocrinologist by all means, they know this backward and forward. I at first was given medication from my PCP, wasn't doing well, went to a Dr in Pittsburgh, she knew exactly what to do. Thyroids are very touchy but the right medication can take care of it.

Honored Contributor

My hair was thinning when I was first diagnosed and with the synthroid it is back to being thick and healthy. The sparseness in the front is completely gone. My husband was impressed and joked whether he took synthroid whether his receding hairline would be helped...LOL

Honored Contributor

@RespectLife   Unless you have a great PCP who's really into what ails you, you're not getting good results therefore, not so good med levels to take.

If you do not need a referral from your PCP to specifically work with an Endocrinologist who KNOWS the ins & outs of proper & complete thyroid test, find yourself a good one and share what you've done so far. S/he will more than likely repeat the blood test to read it for themself. Perhaps re-running the ultrasound as well. Talk through all of your symptoms. They will start you on again more than likely Synthroid at 50mcg this is also called levothyroxine which is what I take.

I started at 50mcg. At the onset I would see her every 6 months. I would do a blood test a week before I saw my Dr, she'd review the numbers, I'd see her for results. After the fist 6mths, she increased to 75mcg. Probably took me a good 9 months for everything to really kick in I'll say, the wght just dropped off. I was also working out too. I lost a good 35lbs (I'm a thin frame, got down to about 100lbs). I was concerned I was dropping too much wght, I talked to her, we did another blood test. She kept me at 75mcg (which I still take), a whole tab 6 days a week, half of one one day.

My problem also was in conjunction with being gluten free for 10 months b/c we had a friend staying w/us for 10 mnths who has ciliac disease and must be gluten free. I never felt or looked better since (almost) high school days!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

My current prob, I can't seem to get myself gluten free again therefore I've put wght back on to the tune of 15 lbs. May not sound like a lot but it's all in the belly again. UGH!!! 

I will not see my Endo Dr until December again. I'll do a blood test prior to seeing her, she'll review. I'm kind of hoping she'll decide to put me back on a full tab again.

I think you're not getting good proper care from the right kind of Dr. I also think you're not on the correct doseage. You must be diligent in taking your med FIRST thing in the morning WITHOUT drinking and eating anything for an hour. This means no other prescriptions if you take others - no coffee/tea too. My Dr asks me the first thing, how many times have I missed/forgotten to take my tab, when do I take it, do I wait 45 min to an hour prior to ANYTHING else?

I hope all of this info helps to re-think your process. Good luck, with the right Endo Dr you'll get on the right track.

Super Contributor

FYI......As a long time hypothyroid patient being treated with Sythroid, I did NOT notice any regrowth of hair. I would say if you did it's an anomaly. Most loose hair & it doesn't come back.

Honored Contributor

@PINKdogWOOD 

I can not thank you enough for your insight....I have learned  things I was not doing correctly.

I am taking my pill every single day at 6 am with a LOT of water as instructed.  I was not eating or taking any other meds for 2 hours.  However, I was drinking coffee!  The Pharmasist said no food...I guess I never even thought coffee would be wrong.  They should tell you that!  UGH....that will be really hard to wait for!  I will follow your suggestions....wait only 1 hour but don't drink coffee for an hour!  I am assuming I can drink more water as the dosage says??

We have already upped my dose to 50mg.  She did that when I stated no relief even though she didn't run the full panel of blood work.  I rerun my blood work six weeks from now and then will meet with her.

If I do not feel she has a grasp on this, I will consider switching to an Endo.  I just hate to start w/ someone new.

I also learned from what you wrote, that I was unrealistically expecting miracles in 6 weeks.  Sigh...I must be patient I guess.  I also have a very small frame and have kept my weight steady for YEARS.  My belly makes me cry!   For the first time ever, I bought a shaper!  LOL

Thank you again for sharing.  I really do appreciate it.

Super Contributor

Hashi is the devil.  Very hard to control since in the beginning you change between Hypo and Hyper.  I find doctors know very little about this disease and don't know how to treat it properly.  Was on Synthroid, generic and brand name for a couple of years and it nearly killed me.  Developed blood pressure issues and gained weight.  Finally found a doctor who put me on Armour.  Lost 10 pounds within the first 2 weeks and felt so much better.  It's now an epdemic and very little research is done on why.  There are a lot of chemicals in our food that cause Thyroid problems.  The added cheap GMO soy is at the forefront.  Worst of all most doctors don't even test for Anti-bodies and miss this disease.  I suffered for many years before I was finally diagnosed.  As a result ended up with tons of joint and muscle issues.  All the docs seems to be interested in is measuring blood pressure and test for Cholesterol.  Yet when high never try to find the reason why.  I guess it's easier to prescribe pills than to find out what's causing the problems.  'Stop the Thyroid Madness' is a good site with lots of information.  BTW, if you are overweight despite a reasonable diet, you most likely have Thyroid Disease.  Yet our worthless physicians always blame it on too much food.  Don't get me started. 

Super Contributor

@carlycat wrote:

I am going through weird thyroid issues. I was taking 2 hour naps when I got home from work, so my dr ran a bunch of tests. TSH (basic thryoid) was off the chart low) which would indicate hyperthyroid. So they ran the next test (T3 and T4) which is actual thyroid hormone, and that was normal. This indicates something called subclinical hyperthyroid, which can cause, wait for it, dementia and afibrilation. Waiting now for my appointment with the endocrinologist in a week. Hope there is something to do for it. Expecting more blood tests. 

The usual.  TSH alone is practically worthless.  They need to do a complete Thyroid panel with Anti-bodies to give a true picture of your Thyroid function.

Respected Contributor

TW, sorry you are having a hard time with getting your hypothroidism under control. Don't know where you live, but as others have mentioned go to an endocrinologist. They know the disease and I've had good care  with my MD. No issues with controlling it. Best to you.

Regular Contributor

That portal only works if the dr signs up for it. Because I had blood work done and I asked my dr if he was signed up to do that and no he wasn’t. What it is, is called old fashion or something. I don’t know. All I know I have to wait till I see him to get my results. Darn. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@cherry wrote:

I just want to add be careful, low thyroid function, and  type 2 diabetes are  inter connected

@cherryThis is true along with high cholesterol.  I had both shoot up along with sleeping almost 15 hours a day plus a creeping weight gain before my diagnosis.

Both had always been very normal.  Plus feeling cold was another problem.

PCP also ordered an ultra-sound of the thyroid to rule out anything abnormal not felt by physical exam.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh