Respected Contributor

Re: Anyone get a sore throat with mask wearing?

My guess is it is hydration.  That disposable seems like it would absorb more out of the air.

I will give you my allergist's solution for just about everything: that cheap saline nose spray from the drug store/Amazon.  Use it early and often, he says.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Laura14 When you get home each time, try sucking on a Halls Honey Lemon Cough Drop to soothe the throat. Your sore throat is probably coming from the smaller amount of air, especially if it's dry air, coming into your nose and mouth, and causing a drying out of the mucous membranes leading to slight irritation of your throat. You might want to try a different mask to see if that helps. 

Honored Contributor

Thanks again all!  I plan to get out today, after hydrating, and buy some new fabric masks and get some other stuff you have all recommended.  Really appreciate the help.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I wear a mask all the time and have never had a sore throat or breakout on the skin.

I wear multi-layered 100% cotton masks.  

Respected Contributor

No.

Recommend to wash daily.   Plus the ones I made are 3 layers, anything else is "ineffective" as per CDC.   Most think wearing a mask is a joke, so I ask:   Why do doctors wear them every time they perform surgery?  

The disposable paper kind are for bacteria.   I cringe when I see stores selling these touting as Corona-safe, they are worthless.

Esteemed Contributor

Sure, I find wearing my cloth masks slightly uncomfortable, but haven't noticed a sore throat.  Yet.  One benefit that I've noticed--- I have outdoor allergies this time of year.  Wearing a mask when I'm out of the house must be blocking some of the pollen and other stuff that blows in the air.  My allergies aren't bothering me much this year.

Whenever my mask starts to feel uncomfortable, I remind myself of all the nurses, doctors, lab workers, etc., who have to wear a mask for hours at a time.  Then I feel lucky that I only have to wear a mask for a short time once or twice a week.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Trusted Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:

Not looking to start trouble, obviously I am wearing it, but I get a sore throat after doing so.  

Thought last weekend I had just picked up a little bug but wore it again this weekend and it's back so I think it's definitely the face covering.

Just wondering if anyone else has found this too and what if anything special you've found to help.  

yes, I noticied that as  well. It was explained to me that maybe its because with a mask your throat gets drier than normal, and sipping water might help. then of course, I would have to take the mask off every 2 minutes. 

Contributor

The sore throat is probably a dry throat. I was a dental hygienist for 40 years. The masks dry you out. Suck on some sugar free candy and see if that helps. WEAR THE MASK!!!

Honored Contributor

@Suzy Q from PA wrote:

Bdtter a bit of  sore throat from a mask than a ventilator.

Comments like this are of absolutely no help, and rather than state the obvious, come off as flippant and rude. 

The OP has a very reasonable question and concern. This reply is belittling and grandstanding to bait an argument.

Honored Contributor

I'm glad to see you post this @Laura14  as I've been having the same issue. 

If I only go into one place, and for a very short period of time, I'm ok. But if i'm in and out of a lot of stores/businesses for multiple hours, I have a horribly scratch throat afterward, sometimes for days. 

I found that at the beginning of this, using a Lysol cleaner sprayed on paper towels (to save the disinfecting wipes for use outside the home), I was having a cronic mild sore throat. I stopped using the product entirely for a month and the issue went away. 

I guess because I am out more and longer sometimes now, I'm noticing the sore throat thing from the mask as well. For months, I was only out maybe on day every few weeks, so no issues. But the more I wear a mask, the worse this gets with the throat thing. I do keep water and try to drink in between every stop, but it really isn't helping.