Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone get a sore throat with mask wearing?

@vsm wrote:

No sore throat here, but you've gotten a lot of good suggestions on how you might be able to alleviate the problem.  Not surprised that some people have issues from breathing in the carbon dioxide they've just exhaled.  But it's by far the lesser of two evils.

You would only breathe in carbon dioxide if the mask were sealed airtight with no valve and was made of duck tape or saran wrap. In that case it would be fatal. No such masks are being sold. You would have to craft one yourself and it would be a horrible mistake.

Air comes and goes out the sides of all masks being sold except n95, which have a valve. That is how your glasses get fogged. The mask allows you to breathe freely while it traps the majority of the wet particles that infected people exhale to spread the virus. Since you can't know day to day if you are infected, you are blocking most of the potential infection particles from passing from you to others to breathe in. Since the mask is not air tight, air is available to you -- that free air flow is also why it is still dangerous to be around others who are not wearing masks even if you are wearing one yourself.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Respected Contributor

Yes.  I sometimes have a sore throat.  I only wear a mask when I go into a store, which is usually a quick trip, then I yank it off as I'm walking out.  There are definitely negatives mask or no mask, but I'll wear one.  Not totally convinced it makes a difference.  Guess I'm just not of those that are that afraid.  I am really good at distancing myself from others.

Honored Contributor

@Laura14 

It gets a little scratchy.  When I wear my mask for a couple hours, I'm not drinking as much (I always have a glass of iced water or tea around); thus, my throat gets a bit dry & scratchy.

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Honored Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:

@SuhseK @BeingKindIsEasy Thanks!  I am actually searching for some new fabric masks now.  I will look those up.

@FiddleDeeDee I am so sorry!  I don't know if you've ever tried the Beekman 1802 balms but I find they have really helped with my chapped lips from years past.  Burts Bees is also a good brand that helped as well.  

Just make sure it's not the medicated kind.  It was worse than putting straight Vicks on my lips!

Honored Contributor

I apply a bit of coconut oil (using a tissue) into the end of my nostrils. 

That seems to prevent any dryness, etc.

Actually, I've been doing this years before this virus, before shopping in stores.  When I remember to do so. 

Trying to prevent cold and flu germs, etc. from entering my nose. 

Coconut oil is supposed to be anti-microbial, anti-this and that.  So I figure, why not.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Respected Contributor

@Laura14   I recommend Old Navy for face masks if looking for some to buy.  They are very comfortable (I have to wear one almost all day at work), and are 5 for $12.50.

I must have a large head because most masks seem too tight to me, but theirs are very comfortable and made of cotton.  Easy to wash too.

......You look like I need a drink.....
Honored Contributor

@CAcableGirl2 I will look them up.  Thanks!

Honored Contributor

@vsm wrote:

No sore throat here, but you've gotten a lot of good suggestions on how you might be able to alleviate the problem.  Not surprised that some people have issues from breathing in the carbon dioxide they've just exhaled.  But it's by far the lesser of two evils.

@vsm, research is very clear on the fact this is NOT a problem. Unfortunately, it is touted by anti-maskers.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@RetRN 

Do you do anything but make others feel stupid, I was starting my experience as an asthmatic. I guess RerRN was Nurse Rachett in her career, lady give me a break

@RetRN wrote:

@I am still oxox wrote:

I have asthma and other assorted allergies and I have absolutely no issues with masks

Therefore, I guess no one else can have issues with masks? Believe it or not, some people do have a great deal of difficulty and are unable to wear them. I am very empathetic towards those people as they can virtually go nowhere. 

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Respected Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@vsm wrote:

@vsm, research is very clear on the fact this is NOT a problem. Unfortunately, it is touted by anti-maskers.

I'm not an "anti-masker," but basic science shows that, while re-breathing exhaled carbon dioxide due to mask-wearing may not be a problem for most people, it is a problem for some (especially those with respiratory issues), even at below-toxic levels of inhalation.  One doesn't have to be an "anti-masker" to acknowledge that simple scientific fact.  That some people who resist wearing masks over-emphasize the point does not make the point any less true.  What's NOT true is the implication that rebreathing exhaled carbon dioxide "is NOT a problem" for anyone wearing a mask.