Respected Contributor

Re: Anyone get a sore throat with mask wearing?

No, haven't experienced any problems with wearing a mask. purchased ours from Amazon.  It is a 3 layer mask. Next to the skin is a white cottony feel material, next the filter and the final layer is the outside print. We chose the Solar system. It also has the flexible nose bridge.

Respected Contributor

I have gotten sore throats several times after doing my infrequent masked forays outside my house.  I have cloth masks that I like better than the disposable, which tend to pop up over my eyes sometimes.   

I have many mild allergies and assume the sore throat is caused by post-nasal drip from allergens outside my house. It goes away within a few hours. 

Esteemed Contributor

Could be from trying to speak more clearly since you know your words are muffled a bit.  Happens when some folks sing because you stress your muscles.  Hope it is something simple and not harmful to you!

Super Contributor

@mizree @Laura14   Thank you!  I developed a bit of a sore throat Thurday evening after making a Target run wearing a disposable mask.  Never thought about the mask being the cause!  I was worried that I was getting sick.  I used a zinc lozenge and felt better.  Just ordered an inhaler and will use my cloth masks as often as possible from now on. HeartHeart

Honored Contributor

@zanna Glad we're helping each other! Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Masks are a necessary evil. I'm glad I no longer work outside the home because I don't think I could wear one all day!

Esteemed Contributor

No sore throat.

Respected Contributor

@lannie43 wrote:

or more likely nothing at all...shame on you...more people are probably getting sick from the frequent mask wear than from the virus..fear mongering is a very dangerous disease

Really? I saw no fear mongering in her post. She was simply wondering if anyone else was experiencing the same problem. This is all new for us so sharing experiences is common right now. 

Respected Contributor

I get a sore throat whenever I breathe through my mouth. And that's something I sometimes do when wearing a mask for several hours.

Trusted Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:

Thanks all!  I am going to switch to my fabric mask and drink some water before I go out.  I do have sensitive skin no nothing detergent so we'll see if any of that works.  Not that I go out often but if I can help myself, I will.

I really appreciate the help!

-------

Drinking enough water, is so important, for all kinds of reasons, and it's easy to be guilty, of not drinking enough.  

I'm in the medical field, a Diettian, it's one of the first things, I stress to patients, and yet, sometimes, I'm not following my own advice. 

Especially, in the heat, do stay hydrated. If I'm not drinking enough water, I often get a scratchy throat, and I notice it in the skin of my hands; much less taut, I start seeing those, lines 👿