Esteemed Contributor

Anyone from Virginia Beach VA - Looking for best directions from 95 South

Here is the issue.  Yes, I have maps, and  all kinds of computer directions and a gps.. more than one version.  Just looking to avoid the tunnel and or the bridge and want to use a way in without delays.  Coming from the DC area Thursday late  morning.  I was told to just take a chance and take the normal 64 in from Richmond but there might be an alternative further down 95.  Just asking someone who knows the area.                       

Re: Anyone from Virginia Beach VA - Looking for best directions from 95 South

My family takes 460east to avoid tunnels and the crazy traffic of 64east. Take the Wagner road exit off of 95 south to get to 460 east.  You will drive through some small towns and it is important not to speed through them but it is a much nicer drive than the interstate.   Wagner road is just south of Petersburg. I think it may be exit 48 or something like that. 

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks so much.  I got stuck in the tunnel for  almost two hours last time around.  So much fun!  I have checked maps and cannot get a real sense of how to do it.  I will go your way.  On the way back I might cave in and go the tunnel way but it will be early in the morning, hopefully on a Sunday.  

Esteemed Contributor

Very early on Sunday!

I've driven that way on 64 to and from NC and the earlier the better, any day of the week.
Occasional Contributor

I would have suggested the 460 route also. Anything to avoid the tunnel. Have a nice drive!

Super Contributor

bonnielou, from 95 South, get off on to Rt. 295 East. until you see the exit to Rt 64 east. Rt 64 E will end at Atlantic Ave/ the boardwalk. in Va Beach. Simple and most direct route. I work in williamsburg, va.  Sundays are always the busiest day to travel in the summer on any route heading to the ocean.  Sundays are the turnover day, weekly rentals (check out then check in) .  Have a great vacation.