Respected Contributor

Re: Anyone from Monroeville, PA or near by?

@cosmic1 wrote:
I live north if Pittsburgh in Butler County and commute into Pgh during the week. It really isn't too horrible. The nice thing about the area is that there are a lot of options for where you want to live and housing is very reasonable. Look into some of the neighboring areas and I am sure you will find something that you like. Depending on the job, you may be able to buy a house instead of renting.

Good luck with your new adventure.

Hi @cosmic1  I was born and raised in  Butler Co. Smiley Tongue

Occasional Contributor

I grew up in Pittsburgh and live in Murrysville , about 8 miles from Monroeville.  I still attend church there and like everywhere there are some problems but that is the case in just about any area unless you live in the middle of nowhere.  I would go back to Allegheny County in a minute except for the taxes on real estate.  I shop at Monroeville Mall at least once a week.  I go in the mornings and probably would not go there in the evening as there have been some issues.  Yes, there can be traffic there but it depends on your definition of traffic as well.  Also the time of day.  Pittsburgh, Oakland and all of the North Hills area of Pittsburgh are traffic nightmares, actually the whole area and parkway can be a nightmare on any given day so to me Monroeville is more of a pain than a nightmare.  Shopping there is plenty however you have a entire metro area to chose from once you get used to the area.  Best of luck on your decision and if you need any more info feel free to ask.

Honored Contributor

@nun ya wrote:

@cosmic1 wrote:
I live north if Pittsburgh in Butler County and commute into Pgh during the week. It really isn't too horrible. The nice thing about the area is that there are a lot of options for where you want to live and housing is very reasonable. Look into some of the neighboring areas and I am sure you will find something that you like. Depending on the job, you may be able to buy a house instead of renting.

Good luck with your new adventure.

Hi @cosmic1  I was born and raised in  Butler Co. Smiley Tongue

Hi Cosmic 1 - we are from Pitts. but live in Fl. now. However we are snowbirds who spend the summers in Zelie now.We absolutely love it there.

Respected Contributor

Nun ya and 151949, hi yinz guys! It is nice to meet you. Zelie is lovely. The whole county is nice, plus the taxes are much lower.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Oh yeah , we lived in Allegheny county and the taxes were awful. Property tax to the county - property tax to the township - property tax to the school district - income tax to the state and to the township plus a privledge tax to the city to be allowed to work there.And despite all those taxes we had volunteer fireman and paramedics we had to support financially. 

Where we live now is unincorporated so we only pay one tax - to the county - we have professional fireman and paramedics - even our trash collection is covered by one property tax and it is less than our property taxes in Pa were for a house of much higher assessment. Until we moved away we did not realize how bad the taxes up there were. We lived in Robinson twp when we lived there and they even charged us a tax for street light bulbs. 

Also , when we lived up there they would reassess our house every couple years and raise the taxes - meanwhile some communities had not had their homes reassessed for 25 - 30 years. It was horrid there for taxes.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I lived in Monroeville, PA.   That mall is where George Romero filmed Dawn of the Dead.   I know this mainly because I lived directly nextdoor to the mall in the 1970's when it was filmed.  

I moved to Kansas City in 1988  and last visited in 1995  and it is a safe and good neighborhood.  If you prefer more rural look try Murrysville, PA  which is directly next to Monroeville.  Lots of Woodsy resedental neighboorhoods and a fantastic school district. 

Growing up winters were harsh and cold.  I cant  comment now for it seems winters have become much milder over  the past 20 years.

I lived in that area from 1969 to 1988-91  and never knew  anyone that had a bad experience.  Traffic is bad in any city. Seriously.

I also lived in Holiday Park, Murrysville, Plum Burrough all are good areas

If I had the resorces i would move back to Pittsburgh in a heartbeat

Honored Contributor

@AnnMarie-1  Someone brought this thread back to life so I thought I'd ask if you did move to Pittsburgh? What neighborhood? Do you like it?