Trusted Contributor

Anyone from Monroeville, PA or near by?

[ Edited ]

Job opportunity might take us there,,,

Anyone from this area?  Housing didn't look too expensive online, I see there is a mall nearby....

Do you like it there?  Safe area? Good food stores?  How are winters?  Am I right about housing?

How is the traffic, is it real congested?

Thanks!

Trusted Contributor

Re: Anyone from Monroeville, PA or near by?

AnnMarie...I dont but I just wanted to pop in and wish you the best....

Esteemed Contributor

@AnnMarie-1   I am from Monroeville.  I moved from there in 1970.  Hate to tell you, but the area has really gone down the tubes.  I hear the Mall is a nightmare.  I am in Florida now, but all my family is still there.  The Mall from what I hear isn't a place you want your kids to hang out. Sorry

Esteemed Contributor

Job opportunity might take us there,,,

Anyone from this area?  Housing didn't look too expensive online, I see there is a mall nearby....

Housing is cheap because the area is bad

Do you like it there?  Safe area? Good food stores?  How are winters?  Am I right about housing?  Winters are horrible?  No not safe.

How is the traffic, is it real congested?  Not terrible but depends what road your on. 

Thanks!

Trusted Contributor

@AnnMarie-1.   I do not live there and I have not visited in about 6 years.  It is only 10-15 miles east of Pittsburgh and there are many communities in that area to chose to live.  You can search the city chamber of commerce websites and see what is in any given area.  Are you concerned about schools for children, what is the address of your place of employment and what of the several state highways is it close to, etc.  Once I placed my employment on the map I could chose to investigate any community that fits my needs and wishes.  A good job is worth the effort to investigate on line.  Route 22 goes east/west and was a road I traveled quite alot.  Route 76 and 376 are major highways so you are not going to be far from anything.  The winters in that area are cold and snowy but those main roads have to be kept open for commerce.  I am sure  the townships keep the roads open also.  People in that area are used to the weather.  I have similar weather here in central NY.  Have good boots and a warm coat and you will be fine.  I don't know what kind of winter weather you are used to.  Good luck on your new adventure.

Valued Contributor

I lived outside of the Pittsburgh area a few years ago but work took me to Monroeville.  I agree with the poster who said it's not the best.  

I found no matter where you were in the GPA the traffic was terrible.  I lived 3 miles from the office and it took me 1/2 an hour every day to get there.   It took me 1 hour to travel 10 miles one time. The city is not on a normal grid due to the landscape with the hills and rivers.  Winters are rough, especially when there's a lot of ice (and I'm from Buffalo).  

The Pittsburgh area is a very vibrant area.  

If it's a job that's taking you there, there are a lot of options for where to live. Just keep in mind the travel, etc.  

Good luck with whatever you decide. 

Helen852
Trusted Contributor

Thanks all..

Winters I am used to, sounds like Monroeville isn't that glowing of a place......

My husband lost his job in western NY in 2015 & we sold our home & moved to MASS/CT area for a job, he might have another opportunity in PA...

I am not loving living in MASS/CT area, very very people & car congested & homes are so high priced here, I am used to a lot smaller city...

and here I sit in an apartment hating it, ahhh, life can bring you some nasty bumps..and we are in our late 50's.

Respected Contributor

I have lived about 25 minutes from Monroeville most of my life.  I guess I have a different opinion of it then many of the posters here.

Housing in western Pennsylvania is very reasonably priced in comparison to the rest of the country.  The cost of living here is quite reasonable.  But remember, Pennsylvania has the nickname "The land of taxes" for a reason.

The winters in Pennsylvania, yes, will be cold.  The snow fall can be hit or miss.  We just recently got our first killing frost and it is the middle of November.  The snowest months will usually be January and February.

I would not say that the Monroeville is a crime ridden area.  The mall is still nice, but I would probably not venture there after dark.  But again there are alot of places I won't go after dark.

Traffic can be a headache depending upon where the job is located.  There are always shortcuts you learn to get around the traffic bottle necks.  This region of Pennsylvania does seem behind in mass transit and construction of new highway systems. 

A lot depends upon where you would be relocating from and what your expections are.

Honored Contributor

@AnnMarie-1 wrote:

Thanks all..

Winters I am used to, sounds like Monroeville isn't that glowing of a place......

My husband lost his job in western NY in 2015 & we sold our home & moved to MASS/CT area for a job, he might have another opportunity in PA...

I am not loving living in MASS/CT area, very very people & car congested & homes are so high priced here, I am used to a lot smaller city...

and here I sit in an apartment hating it, ahhh, life can bring you some nasty bumps..and we are in our late 50's.

@AnnMarie-1 All the best to you finding a nice location. Woman Happy

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Esteemed Contributor

@AnnMarie-1  If you decide to go to Monroeville just think, you can be a Steelers fan like me.  You might want to look in plum borough , as a place to live.  My neice had a beautiful home there, and it is not far at all from Monroeville.  They left because her husband got a real good job in Tenn.  

If you live in New York you won't mind the cold then.  I myself could not stand the cold.  I left 14 years ago and it is the best decision I have ever made.  

I wish you luck it is a hard decision.  Plum borough is where Abby Lee dance studio is.  LOL