Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone from Hill Country Texas?

In the mid 90's my husband was transferred to the Hill Country for two years.  During our 18 year marriage the only time he and I and our son hunkered in the hallway during a storm was while living there.  The hail was the size of grapefruits.  We only for a moment watched some landing in our pool to see the huge splashes.  The next day around the small town it looked like someone had taken a sledge hammer to any car that was not covered much less property damage.  Most roofs in that town had to be replaced.

We lived on seven acres so for us scorpions in the home (had it sprayed monthly to help) were bad and I found several rattle snakes sunning themselves at our pool/patio.  I was glad when I came back to East Texas two years later.  Just had water moccasins and copper heads to deal with then.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@beckyb1012 wrote:

In the mid 90's my husband was transferred to the Hill Country for two years.  During our 18 year marriage the only time he and I and our son hunkered in the hallway during a storm was while living there.  The hail was the size of grapefruits.  We only for a moment watched some landing in our pool to see the huge splashes.  The next day around the small town it looked like someone had taken a sledge hammer to any car that was not covered much less property damage.  Most roofs in that town had to be replaced.

We lived on seven acres so for us scorpions in the home (had it sprayed monthly to help) were bad and I found several rattle snakes sunning themselves at our pool/patio.  I was glad when I came back to East Texas two years later.  Just had water moccasins and copper heads to deal with then.

@beckyb1012 @Puzzle Piece

Thanks Beckyb102 for mentioning the critters...Just to add what Beckyb102 said you will see lots of deer, possums, and maybe a coyote or a racoon, if you live out in the country you might encounter a small fox..  Yes do be careful watch out for snakes, especially in the spring.  There are "good" snakes---rat snakes that eat rats and bad venomous snakes too.....rattlesnakes, chicken snakes, if your near water watch out for copper heads, water moccasins....You could encounter a Scoprion they are especially common if you are building a home---even in the city in new subdivisions....call a Pest Control Company to get rid of them......Hey at least I haven't heard of an alligator in the Hill Country!

If you want to see critters go to KSAT.com and click WEATHER, then click CRITTER CAM at the top of the screen....one of the weather people does a segment of photos and videos viewers have sent in.....

http://www.ksat.com/weather/crittercam

@Puzzle Piece

I wish you good luck and if you make the move--Welcome To Texas And Much Happiness Here!

@beckyb1012  Wow ....glad we didn't get that grapefruit size hail that you did back in the 90's.....But that storm in April 2016 did a lot of damage ........

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Puzzle Piece

If you want to see a more realistic weathercast for the Hill Country go to

http://news4sanantonio.com/weather/4-zone-network

This channel breaks down the Texas weather into 4 zones which can be a bit more accurate.....just click HILL COUNTRY to see what the weather is......

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

Austin gets a lot of flooding. It pays to know where the low water crossings are and how to avoid them all at any given time. If your only way home involves a low water crossing, you'll be in trouble at some point and either have so stay with a friend or at a hotel or just move to avoid all that.

Austin doesn't get many tornadoes, but we get a lot of watches and warnings. I've lived here 20 years and have never seen an actual tornado, but friends not far from me had to go hide in the bathtub one night after warnings and horrible winds. Even though I've never had a tornado come near me, I've seen many downed trees and powerlines after storms and tornado warnings.

We do get hail storms that can do a lot of damage, especially to cars.

This part of Texas doesn't get a lot of snow, but we get ice and occasional snow. We get sleet more often than snow. Because it doesn't happen on a regular basis, the city doesn't invest in snow plows (that would be foolish) and people don't have snow chains or snow tires. That means if we DO get inclement weather with ice, the city basically shuts down, sometimes for several days. The city officials ask all non-essential personnel to work from home, if possible, and stay off the roads, which are hazardous because no one has chains or knows how to drive on ice.

It's hot here most of the time. It's going to be 99 here today. Yesterday was in the low 90s, but felt like 104 out because of the heat index. We've had a lot of rain this summer, so it's been very humid. It does not get cool in the overnight hours, especially with the humidity. We have lows of 7 right now, but it's only that low between maybe 3 and 7am. My apartment feels stuffy because my windows have only been open once between March and now.

@ChynnaBlue @Puzzle Piece

But these temperatures were having right now are above normal.....our weather forecaster here said the normal is 89!!!

Honored Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

Austin gets a lot of flooding. It pays to know where the low water crossings are and how to avoid them all at any given time. If your only way home involves a low water crossing, you'll be in trouble at some point and either have so stay with a friend or at a hotel or just move to avoid all that.

Austin doesn't get many tornadoes, but we get a lot of watches and warnings. I've lived here 20 years and have never seen an actual tornado, but friends not far from me had to go hide in the bathtub one night after warnings and horrible winds. Even though I've never had a tornado come near me, I've seen many downed trees and powerlines after storms and tornado warnings.

We do get hail storms that can do a lot of damage, especially to cars.

This part of Texas doesn't get a lot of snow, but we get ice and occasional snow. We get sleet more often than snow. Because it doesn't happen on a regular basis, the city doesn't invest in snow plows (that would be foolish) and people don't have snow chains or snow tires. That means if we DO get inclement weather with ice, the city basically shuts down, sometimes for several days. The city officials ask all non-essential personnel to work from home, if possible, and stay off the roads, which are hazardous because no one has chains or knows how to drive on ice.

It's hot here most of the time. It's going to be 99 here today. Yesterday was in the low 90s, but felt like 104 out because of the heat index. We've had a lot of rain this summer, so it's been very humid. It does not get cool in the overnight hours, especially with the humidity. We have lows of 7 right now, but it's only that low between maybe 3 and 7am. My apartment feels stuffy because my windows have only been open once between March and now.

@ChynnaBlue @Puzzle Piece

But these temperatures were having right now are above normal.....our weather forecaster here said the normal is 89!!!

That's right, but 89 in September is still very hot. Last year I was at the Texas Book Festival in late October and it was 90 degrees outside. It's been 80 degrees on Christmas more than a few times since I've moved here and I've eaten on the patio more often in January than I have in July. 

Yes, it's above normal right now and that's going to happen more often than not in the future, as well.

Honored Contributor

In the 35 years I lived in Texas, I counted on running the AC continuously from the first of April until the middle of October, never turning it off.

@Spurt  You neglected to mention the armadillos, the most unique Texas animal.  We lived on a property with  one acre lake and had a lot of nutria too.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@Spurt Thanks for all the info and the welcome.  Golf ball sized hail?  Whoa.  My husband won't like that - the cars take a  beating. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

You might do a search on the TX forum of a website called City-Data, @Puzzle Piece.  I believe property taxes are high but I don't know for sure.

Honored Contributor

@Puzzle Piece wrote:

@Spurt Thanks for all the info and the welcome.  Golf ball sized hail?  Whoa.  My husband won't like that - the cars take a  beating. 

@Puzzle Piece

Here's link to hail history.....but that golf ball sized hail was unusual usually not thatbig. This report is specifically forthe Hill Country.

http://www.stormersite.com/hail_reports/fredericksburg_texas/2016

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624 wrote:

In the 35 years I lived in Texas, I counted on running the AC continuously from the first of April until the middle of October, never turning it off.

@Spurt  You neglected to mention the armadillos, the most unique Texas animal.  We lived on a property with  one acre lake and had a lot of nutria too.

@Kachina624@Puzzle Piece

In all the years I've lived in Texas I've only seen one armadillo and that was in Lost Maples. And yes they are unusual creatures....

Image result for armadillos

Oh I forgot to mention bunnies.....and in the spring...skunks!.......

And I guess I should mention those nasty creatures---fire ants! They bite and it hurts.....

And little green lizards...

Even though I live in the suburbs it's a bit unique there's a field and also a green belt with walking trails, I have seen many of the Hill Country favorites... I have indeed seen deer (they get a drink from our sprinklers), racoons, possums, and even saw a coyote who wondered too far away from the field I think.....

As for the A/C and the spring it depends where you live, how much of a breeze/shade you get and how warm/cool you like it....Like you I do run my A/C I have it set at 76 and it does come on in April until mid October......but some days I have to lower it to 72 to get it to cut on if I feel too warm.  In the "winter", I like to enjoy the cool weather and won't even turn the central heat on except for 10 minutes when it drops to freezing so the pipes don't freeze.........