Respected Contributor

Re: Anyone familiar with Astoria Oregon?

@Kachina624 wrote:

I won't walk anywhere near the bridge over the Taos Gorge which goes over the Rio Grande out in the middle of nowhere.  I don't, however, bat an eyelash at driving over it. I just keep my eyes on the road.  It's 565ft high.  I believe it's the seventh highest bridge in the country.  It's not long though.

Screenshot_2016-06-26-23-27-35-1.png

Yikes, from this vantage point, this one looks pretty scary.  Woman Surprised

Honored Contributor

Thanks, everyone!

You really cheered me and I'm ready to go.

Ironically, the hotel we're staying at in Astoria is right below the bridge, so I'll have plenty of time to "size it up", lol.

Thanks, also, for the sight-seeing recommendations :-)

~ house cat ~
Trusted Contributor

You must try the best fish & chips in Astoria -- Bowpicker.  It's sold from small old boat in a park and it is albacore tuna.  That's all they sell! 

Super Contributor

@house_cat wrote:

Thanks, everyone!

You really cheered me and I'm ready to go.

Ironically, the hotel we're staying at in Astoria is right below the bridge, so I'll have plenty of time to "size it up", lol.

Thanks, also, for the sight-seeing recommendations :-)

Hubby and I did this trip and he is terrified of heights, especially bridges.  I don't remember him being terribly affected by the Astoria bridge though.  Maybe his "phobia" wasn't as bad at that point (it's gotten worse over time), but this bridge really didn't seem scary.

We stayed at the Cannery Pier Hotel and it was outstanding.  I've been lucky enough to travel to many parts of the world, and the Cannery Pier is one that stands out for me.  Charming location in a cute little town.

Enjoy your trip!

Honored Contributor

@ZoetheCat

That is where we are planning to stay... quite pricey, but we don't travel that often.

~ house cat ~
Super Contributor

@house_cat wrote:

@ZoetheCat

That is where we are planning to stay... quite pricey, but we don't travel that often.

I'm glad to hear you're staying there.  I think you'll love it.  One of the things I most remember is sitting on the balcony and seeing these huge cruise ships docked right in front of the hotel.  It seemed so odd to see these humongous boats in such a small town, but apparently Astoria is a hub for cruises going to Vancouver. 

Have a fabulous time!! 

Honored Contributor

House cat your trip sounds wonderful!

The bridge is beautiful, but does look scary.

I took the Chesapeake Bay Bridge yesterday and tomorrow will be the Goethals and Verrazano bridges.

Bay bridge is so big and new and sturdy looking and the NYC bridges (at least coming from Jersey) are so crumbly looking.  And narrow!

My mother used to stop and say a Hail Mary before crossing a bridge.  Now she doesn't drive, instead she yells at my dad because he's always looking up and down to see the boats.  "Keep your eyes on the road!"

Enjoy your vacation!

Honored Contributor

@Lucky Charm

I saw a documentary about the Chesapeake Bay Bridge AFTER we'd traveled it twice and knew how scary it was.  Evidently, there are many people who must travel it every day back and forth to work.  There is a service through which you can hire someone to drive you (in your car) across the bridge.  They said there have been people who had to sit on the floor of their own cars, in the backseat, in order to be able to endure it.  That seems a little extreme, even for me, but I feel for those people.

I'm used to all the tri-state bridges in the NY area. For some reason I wasn't scared in my youth.  I do remember though, not particulary liking the Verrazano and the Tappanzee.  

~ house cat ~
Trusted Contributor

It's a beautiful spot and the Bridge is very cool. What scares you?

Trusted Contributor

@Joytoall wrote:

While you're in that area, on the Washington side, go to Ilwaco, and Cape disappointment State Park. There's actually a wonderful Lewis &n Clark Interpretive Center built on a bluff overlooking the ocean, It is based on their journals. It's actually built on top of old underground bunkers (you can go into them too, just take a flashlight) that were built during the war to proterct the mouth of Columbia from invasion. Lots of lighthouses too.

And, go to Seaside, Oregon, great little town.

Seaside is so much fun, and Cannon Beach is Beautiful.