Occasional Contributor

Re: Anyone familiar with Astoria Oregon?

While you're in that area, on the Washington side, go to Ilwaco, and Cape disappointment State Park. There's actually a wonderful Lewis &n Clark Interpretive Center built on a bluff overlooking the ocean, It is based on their journals. It's actually built on top of old underground bunkers (you can go into them too, just take a flashlight) that were built during the war to proterct the mouth of Columbia from invasion. Lots of lighthouses too.

And, go to Seaside, Oregon, great little town.

Super Contributor

Oh house cat, you can do this!

We've driven this bridge back and forth a couple times with all the kids, who would have let us know if they were scared...they wanted to go again and again!

Its strongly built and doesn't sway. It isn't as low to the water as it seems in pictures and its not so long you begin to feel any concern. It will be over it before you know it.

Honored Contributor

come and take a trip to maryland @house_cat and use our chesapeake bay bridge.....it is only about 4.5 miles long and not as bad as the virginia one. Smiley Wink

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/70/Chesaspeake_Bay_Bridge_Panorama_60465636.jpg/900px-Chesaspeake_Bay_Bridge_Panorama_60465636.jpg

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I won't walk anywhere near the bridge over the Taos Gorge which goes over the Rio Grande out in the middle of nowhere.  I don't, however, bat an eyelash at driving over it. I just keep my eyes on the road.  It's 565ft high.  I believe it's the seventh highest bridge in the country.  It's not long though.

Screenshot_2016-06-26-23-27-35-1.png

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@house_cat wrote:

DH and I are planning a road trip, but here's the problem... there seems to be a very frightening bridge that crosses the river into Washington.  No kidding, just looking at it scares the heck out of me.  Is there another way to get to Washington without crossing that bridge?

I know. This sounds nuts... but I am a little nuts.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

@house_cat ~ Your time as a caterpillar has expired.  Your wings are ready.  So fly girl, fly!  (Over that bridge)!!

Honored Contributor

@house_cat  Just put a life jacket on, then lean back in the car, relax, and shut your eyes.  Tell the driver to stop after the crossing so you can take the lumpy life jacket off.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

I had a hard time crossing the Bay Bridge after part of it collapsed during the earthquake in 1989. 

Trusted Contributor

Well you can drive 100 mi away to Portland, OR and cross the bridge to Vancouver, WA, then drive back to its coast.

Super Contributor

I've been over it and it's not scary at all!! It's just a bridge. I grew up in key west though so used to 7 mile long bridges. This one is quick!!!

Super Contributor

I think Oregon is THE most beautiful state I've ever seen!!!! Have fun!