Honored Contributor

Anyone familiar with Astoria Oregon?

DH and I are planning a road trip, but here's the problem... there seems to be a very frightening bridge that crosses the river into Washington.  No kidding, just looking at it scares the heck out of me.  Is there another way to get to Washington without crossing that bridge?

I know. This sounds nuts... but I am a little nuts.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

~ house cat ~
New Contributor

Re: Anyone familiar with Astoria Oregon?

Yes. there is but it is quite a drive around. The bridge only takes a couple mintutes to cross, it is NO BIG DEAL!!!

Honored Contributor

@Kodiak Queen wrote:

Yes. there is but it is quite a drive around. The bridge only takes a couple mintutes to cross, it is NO BIG DEAL!!!

NO BIG DEAL?!  

I'll need a Xanax to get over this one, and I won't even be driving...

bridge.jpg

~ house cat ~
Esteemed Contributor

@house_cat wrote:

DH and I are planning a road trip, but here's the problem... there seems to be a very frightening bridge that crosses the river into Washington.  No kidding, just looking at it scares the heck out of me.  Is there another way to get to Washington without crossing that bridge?

I know. This sounds nuts... but I am a little nuts.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

Never, ever take a road trip to Virginia.  Crossing the Chesapeake Bay Bridge will scare the pants off you.  LOL.

Good luck on your trip to Oregon.

*Call Tyrone*
Honored Contributor

@itiswhatitis

We've taken that bridge on two separate occasions.  On the  second trip I had my eyes closed the entire way.

Ironically, I grew up and lived most of my life in NYC, where there are bridges and tunnels just about everywhere. It never scared me. In fact, for some reason those bridges still don't scare me.  Then there are some, like this one, that terrify me.

~ house cat ~
Trusted Contributor

@house_cat, it makes perfect sense to me!  I just don't know which I dislike more, bridges or tunnels!

Do the math.
Esteemed Contributor

@house_cat wrote:

@itiswhatitis

We've taken that bridge on two separate occasions.  On the  second trip I had my eyes closed the entire way.

Ironically, I grew up and lived most of my life in NYC, where there are bridges and tunnels just about everywhere. It never scared me. In fact, for some reason those bridges still don't scare me.  Then there are some, like this one, that terrify me.

Wow.  That bridge toward Oregon doesn't seem nearly as scarey as the Chesapeake Bay.  The length of that bridge scares me, not how it looks.  Taking too long to get to the other side.  Uh uh.  Not doing.  Not doing.  LOL.

*Call Tyrone*
Occasional Contributor

Don't be afraid of going over the Astoria bridge. I live in Washington, and have gone over the Astoria bridge many times. It just looks imtiminating, but it's not. tt's a beautiful drive to Astoria, and crossing over the magnificent  Columbia River will be a great experience. The bridge goes up on the Oregon side to allow ship/boat traffic to cross under the bridge. 

So, relax, take your camera and enjoy  your trip.Lots of history in that area regarding Lewis & Clark, so study that and have fun.

Honored Contributor

@Joytoall

In the end, I'll wind up putting on my big girl pants and dealing with it... but I know I will be scared.

I'm a history teacher and I've been fascinated with the L&C expedition for as long as I can remember. I'm really looking forward to the trip, except for this.

~ house cat ~
Esteemed Contributor

@house_cat wrote:

@Joytoall

In the end, I'll wind up putting on my big girl pants and dealing with it... but I know I will be scared.

I'm a history teacher and I've been fascinated with the L&C expedition for as long as I can remember. I'm really looking forward to the trip, except for this.

You go Girl!  Enjoy yourself and drive safely.

*Call Tyrone*