Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone familiar with Astoria Oregon?

@house_cat wrote:

@Kodiak Queen wrote:

Yes. there is but it is quite a drive around. The bridge only takes a couple mintutes to cross, it is NO BIG DEAL!!!

NO BIG DEAL?!  

I'll need a Xanax to get over this one, and I won't even be driving...

bridge.jpg

Looks like fun to me! Can you bungee jump off this bridge? Just wondering.Woman Very Happy

Honored Contributor

The world's highest bridge...Royal Gorge Bridge in Colorado. People bungee jump off this one. Yikes!Smiley SurprisedSmiley Very Happy

Royal_Bridge_Colorado.jpg

Super Contributor

@house_cat wrote:

We arrived today and I thought I'd post this photo from our hotel room...

bridge from window Astoria 2016.JPG

Exactly as I remember it!  Hope you're enjoying your stay in Astoria.

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

@house_cat

Yeah!  I'm glad you made the trip!!  Looks like a beautiful day on Oregon coast.

I've had a fear of bridges also and used to have huge anxiety attacks, worst ones were the Golden Gate & Coronado bridges.  I just take them slow and easy and look straight ahead.  My mother hated bridges so I think I just inherited the fear while growing up.

I do much better now.

I am a former Portland gal, former Orange County and now Palm Springs (no waterways here so no bridges, ha ha)

Honored Contributor

My brother lived in Astoria for years.  He's back in Jersey now.  I will ask him about that bridge.

If someone here has already calmed your fears, I will find out because I will now read the thread.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Esteemed Contributor

@Lucky Charm wrote:

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@Lucky Charm wrote:

@house_cat wrote:

@Lucky Charm

I saw a documentary about the Chesapeake Bay Bridge AFTER we'd traveled it twice and knew how scary it was.  Evidently, there are many people who must travel it every day back and forth to work.  There is a service through which you can hire someone to drive you (in your car) across the bridge.  They said there have been people who had to sit on the floor of their own cars, in the backseat, in order to be able to endure it.  That seems a little extreme, even for me, but I feel for those people.

I'm used to all the tri-state bridges in the NY area. For some reason I wasn't scared in my youth.  I do remember though, not particulary liking the Verrazano and the Tappanzee.  

They're building a new Verrazano!  Different spans going each way, not one bridge.  Guess it'll still be a double decker. Just went across it yesterday. 

Are you afraid to fly?  Maybe you could take a plane and rent a car for your vacation.

The MTA is not replacing the Verrazaon Bridge or adding any new car lanes to it to enlarge it.  There will be no "new bridge."  The work that's being done will take up to 25 years

to complete. and most of it is maintenance.

@itiswhatitis--what are the huge structures for alongside the bridge?  Are they going to be just scaffolding to do the repairs?

Yes that's exactly what it is.

*Call Tyrone*
Honored Contributor

@house_cat wrote:

@itiswhatitis

We've taken that bridge on two separate occasions.  On the  second trip I had my eyes closed the entire way.

Ironically, I grew up and lived most of my life in NYC, where there are bridges and tunnels just about everywhere. It never scared me. In fact, for some reason those bridges still don't scare me.  Then there are some, like this one, that terrify me.

Maybe because in the pictures of the two bridges shown on this thread there are no visible buildings like you would see going over bridges in NYC.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Esteemed Contributor

Hi house_cat... I lived in Richmond Hill and we had a summer home on Long Island, moved to CA because my husband got the engineer position he applied for.  Missed New York for two years, got used to things and loved Los Angeles for forty years and made the  mistake of listening to my daughter and moved to Arizona.  I'm still looking for a way to get back there but housing is just ridiculously high.

I would have to be put to sleep before  going on that bridge with only two lanes and a dip almost to the water.  Seriously, my stomach is turning just looking at some of these pictures. 

For some reason I didn't mind going to Arrowhead, Mammoth and Big Bear. The Canyon roads really scared me, not too much going to our destination but going back home sitting in the passenger seat I would try not to look out, the drop off was too frightening. 

Hope you had a great trip.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Honored Contributor

Here's an update. I'm sorry that I'm not mentioning each of you specifically, but I really appreciate every response.

@ZoetheCat

You were so right about the hotel. It was truly the most magical setting.  We stayed there for three nights and were sorry to leave. My husband agrees that our time in Astoria was one of the best vacations we ever had.  I would love to stay there again.

Coincidentally, I was born in Astoria NY.. so it was interesting that we enjoyed Astoria Oregon so much. The two cities are certainly not alike, though I did live pretty much under the bridge in Astoria NY and we stayed under the bridge in Oregon.  Since I brought up the topic, if anyone is thinking of visiting there, please do.  It's a wonderful little town.

As it turned out, there was a bridge about a mile from this one that was less intimidating.  We used that one a few times, rather than the Megler Bridge. DH was itching to drive across it and I finally agreed on our last day, then the universe intervened - there was construction on the bridge, so they were stopping traffic at the highest point, letting one direction go and then the other.  I considered that a deal breaker, so we never did cross the Megler Bridge.  Oh, well.  Maybe next time.

Just a quick shout-out to those of you who live in the Seattle area.  We only spent one day in Seattle and loved it!  I will surely go back there. If you live there you are very fortunate - Washington is beautiful!

One last thing... being from drought ravaged Southern California we are feeling totally rain-starved. The weather forecast in the PNW was for rain, and instead we had a string of picture perfect sunny days.  I'm sure we are the only people ever to be disappointed by good weather on a vacation, lol.

~ house cat ~
Super Contributor

@house_cat wrote:

Here's an update. I'm sorry that I'm not mentioning each of you specifically, but I really appreciate every response.

@ZoetheCat

You were so right about the hotel. It was truly the most magical setting.  We stayed there for three nights and were sorry to leave. My husband agrees that our time in Astoria was one of the best vacations we ever had.  I would love to stay there again.

Coincidentally, I was born in Astoria NY.. so it was interesting that we enjoyed Astoria Oregon so much. The two cities are certainly not alike, though I did live pretty much under the bridge in Astoria NY and we stayed under the bridge in Oregon.  Since I brought up the topic, if anyone is thinking of visiting there, please do.  It's a wonderful little town.

As it turned out, there was a bridge about a mile from this one that was less intimidating.  We used that one a few times, rather than the Megler Bridge. DH was itching to drive across it and I finally agreed on our last day, then the universe intervened - there was construction on the bridge, so they were stopping traffic at the highest point, letting one direction go and then the other.  I considered that a deal breaker, so we never did cross the Megler Bridge.  Oh, well.  Maybe next time.

Just a quick shout-out to those of you who live in the Seattle area.  We only spent one day in Seattle and loved it!  I will surely go back there. If you live there you are very fortunate - Washington is beautiful!

One last thing... being from drought ravaged Southern California we are feeling totally rain-starved. The weather forecast in the PNW was for rain, and instead we had a string of picture perfect sunny days.  I'm sure we are the only people ever to be disappointed by good weather on a vacation, lol.

I'm so glad you loved the hotel, housecat!  I agree with you that the setting is magical. We stayed just one night on a trip from Seattle to San Francisco and I, too, could have stayed another couple of nights.  I found the Oregon coast to be particularly beautiful.