Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone familiar with Astoria Oregon?

@house_cat wrote:

@Lucky Charm

I saw a documentary about the Chesapeake Bay Bridge AFTER we'd traveled it twice and knew how scary it was.  Evidently, there are many people who must travel it every day back and forth to work.  There is a service through which you can hire someone to drive you (in your car) across the bridge.  They said there have been people who had to sit on the floor of their own cars, in the backseat, in order to be able to endure it.  That seems a little extreme, even for me, but I feel for those people.

I'm used to all the tri-state bridges in the NY area. For some reason I wasn't scared in my youth.  I do remember though, not particulary liking the Verrazano and the Tappanzee.  

They're building a new Verrazano!  Different spans going each way, not one bridge.  Guess it'll still be a double decker. Just went across it yesterday. 

Are you afraid to fly?  Maybe you could take a plane and rent a car for your vacation.

Esteemed Contributor

@Lucky Charm wrote:

@house_cat wrote:

@Lucky Charm

I saw a documentary about the Chesapeake Bay Bridge AFTER we'd traveled it twice and knew how scary it was.  Evidently, there are many people who must travel it every day back and forth to work.  There is a service through which you can hire someone to drive you (in your car) across the bridge.  They said there have been people who had to sit on the floor of their own cars, in the backseat, in order to be able to endure it.  That seems a little extreme, even for me, but I feel for those people.

I'm used to all the tri-state bridges in the NY area. For some reason I wasn't scared in my youth.  I do remember though, not particulary liking the Verrazano and the Tappanzee.  

They're building a new Verrazano!  Different spans going each way, not one bridge.  Guess it'll still be a double decker. Just went across it yesterday. 

Are you afraid to fly?  Maybe you could take a plane and rent a car for your vacation.

The MTA is not replacing the Verrazaon Bridge or adding any new car lanes to it to enlarge it.  There will be no "new bridge."  The work that's being done will take up to 25 years

to complete. and most of it is maintenance.

*Call Tyrone*
Honored Contributor

We arrived today and I thought I'd post this photo from our hotel room...

bridge from window Astoria 2016.JPG

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

Yay @house_cat!  You made it😎

Esteemed Contributor

I was always afraid of bridges.  As a girl we lived in Queens, New York and visited relatives in New Jersey quite often.  Had to go on the George Washington Bridge and I remember telling my father to stay away from the outside lane, I had the fear of falling off.  To this day I dread driving or being a passenger in a car on mountain roads.  Living in Los Angeles for forty years we went to Malibu many times and I hated the canyon road.  I still have the fear of heights but thankfully we don't drive on bridges or mountain roads anymore.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Honored Contributor

Are you happier in Arizona now, @Lindsays Grandma?

Esteemed Contributor

Hi tansy, no I haven't been happy here for a long time.  I miss California terribly and my daughter who was raised there has finally concluded she wants to go back.  The cost of housing is out of sight there but where there is a will there is a way, we need to be in our comfort zone.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Honored Contributor

@Lindsays Grandma

Hey there neighbor! I'm also from Queens and drove all the bridges many many times... the Verrazano being my least favorite, but I don't remember the fear like I've developed now.  It might be because I've lived in LA for the last 15 years and there isn't much need for bridges here.  

As you pointed out, the NY bridges had several lanes in each direction. It was easy to stay in the center and pretend all was well with the world, but this bridge we're taking today has two lanes - one in each direction and to make it a little weirder, it's high in one spot then tapers down to almost water level for a looooooong stretch.  Geez.

Oh, and I agree about the mountain roads. We've been to Lake Arrowhead and Big Bear a few times and I dread the ride.  I positively refuse to drive there in the winter time.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@Lucky Charm wrote:

@house_cat wrote:

@Lucky Charm

The MTA is not replacing the Verrazaon Bridge or adding any new car lanes to it to enlarge it.  There will be no "new bridge."  The work that's being done will take up to 25 years

to complete. and most of it is maintenance.

@itiswhatitis--what are the huge structures for alongside the bridge?  Are they going to be just scaffolding to do the repairs?

Trusted Contributor

The hotel where you're staying looks FABULOUS!! ENJOY!!