Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone ever have their luggage lost by an airline?

I've had my luggage lost three times - and I don't even fly very often. They've always returned it to my doorstep within 48 hours, usually within 24.

Delta was the last airline to lose my luggage and it made me especially mad because they had canceled my flight and I was stranded in DFW for 3 hours. They had 3 hours to get my luggage in the right place and couldn't do it. That trip they canceled 3 of my four flights (2 connections) and lost my luggage. After that trip, I would literally pay more money if it meant not flying Delta and not going through DFW. 

Valued Contributor

Mine was lost once, but fortunately it was on the flight returning home.  An airline rep brought it to my house at 3:00 in the morning (which was fine with me, as I wasn't home and my roommate had to answer the door).  Since so many airlines charge for bags, now I use a carryon whenever possible.  I have become quite good at packing in a minimalist manner.  (Thanks to the two "Stein" sisters - Lori Gold- and Renee Green-!) I have several tops and bottom that can roll up real tight in one bag, and then work to mix and match when I arrive.  If I shop while at my destination, I plan to just wear all my new things layered - six shirts, two pairs of pants, whatever - and cram myself into my seat on the ride home.  (Picture the little brother in 'A Christmas Story' with all his snow gear on walking to school.  That'll be me.)

Frequent Contributor

Met a woman a few years ago who said she always bought old luggage at the Goodwill or Salvation Army stores to take with her on commercial vehicles.  She said if the luggage got banged up or ruined it wasn't too much of a loss.  She used her good luggage for roadtrips.  When she was back from her trip she donated the luggage to the Goodwill etc.

Esteemed Contributor

Our 14 hour flight home from Zurich to San Francisco turned into a 26 hour nightmare and we couldn't even blame it on the weather.

When the 747 finally landed in S.F. our lugguage hadn't made it.  I was thinking of all of the momentos of our 3 week European trip that I probably wouldn't ever see again.  Come to find out, our luggage made a 48 hour detour to Rio - Brazil.  Crazy.  Was driven up to our house in a taxi a little more than 48 hours after we returned home.

Valued Contributor

Have you heard this one?   A travelling salesman takes three suitcases to the counter.  He says to the airline employee, "I'd like this large one to go to St. Paul, the medium sized one to go to San Diego, and the small one to go to Atlanta."  The rep replies, "Sir, I'm very sorry but we can't do that!"  The man responds, "Why not? You did it last month!"

Esteemed Contributor

It only took once to have my luggage delayed, not lost, for me to learn to have one night's supply of whatever in my carryon.

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Respected Contributor

i  had a suitcase lost. never got it back. it was a hot pink little soft-sider with no lock. i don't know why i checked it but it was many years ago and maybe it was too big for carryon.

it happened flying to vacation on a flight to a resort in the south pacific.  before takeoff we had a major flight delay an missed the connecting flight.

the airline paid for clothing i had to get stuff to wear from the hotel gift shop and it was low season and there was nothing but a couple t shirts,  bikinis and pareos left!

Continental wanted to give me the standard couple hundred bucks for the loss. i challenged that and cited Warsaw Convention and was awarded $1100.  it took several months to settle the claim. i had an itemized list and cost of each item, thankfully i wasnt required to provide receipts.

Super Contributor

I have had mine lost numerous times - thankfully not permanently.

The funniest was when I was on a return business trip going back home to Houston (airport code IAH).

I got home but my luggage didn't ... got them a couple of days later and found out,  my luggage went to Hawaii - wish I had!!

Honored Contributor

My co-worker went on a business trip to Orlando and his luggage was stolen from baggage claim.  The airline had scans showing it was there.  His wife was mtg him at the end of the week and sent her stuff with him.  The airline replaced everything.

I had delayed luggage once.  It showed up less than a day later.

Respected Contributor

I had mine lost.........kinda sorta, since I knew exactly what city it had deplaned, since I watched it, through the window, leave the plane LOL

I was coming back from Valdez Alaska........with a stop over in Seatle, we were told not to deplane, we would only be there to offload some passengers and their luggage, so I sat there board watching them unload the plane of luggage and fish, for the people getting off in Seatle.........luggage, fish, fish, fish, luggage, luggage, MY luggage, fish, fish............when I got to LAX, sure enough no luggage, told the airlines and they said, they would look for it and I told them, oh I know where it is, it's in Seatle, a phone call later they confirmed it was in Seatle............they sent it to me the next day in a taxi LOL...............................................raven

We're not in Kansas anymore ToTo