Occasional Contributor

Re: Anyone ever get a new car for Christmas as a gift?

My husband and I just bought our son a new Nissan Sentra as his birthday/Christmas gift.  He has no idea and will be arriving home tonight!  I have a big red bow on it and we have had it in our garage for the past month.  I can't wait to see the expression on our son's face. 

Honored Contributor

I never have.

And a friend of mine (and her husband) had their new car repossessed last year at Christmas.

HO HO HO!

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Bri36 wrote:

No, I havn't.

I always wonder where the giant red bow comes from   

LOL

@Bri36  Michaels was advertising them last week.  My car's computer system died and the entire dashboard went out.  My car at the time was 12 years old.  Husband took car (Chrysler LeBaron convertible) and came home with a BMW for me.  That was 20 years ago a couple of weeks before my birthday - he said Happy Birthday.  No bow though.  I loved that car; kept it for 20 years.  Just got a new car (not a gift this time and not as nice either).

Honored Contributor

No. I would prefer shopping for a car myself. My husband knows that about me. I would want to test-drive it.

Honored Contributor

A car would be among the LAST things I would want for Christmas!

Honored Contributor

If someone would like to buy me a new car paid in full for Christmas, I will happily report back as to how that feels next week.  I promise I can outdo Oprah's audience with my reaction.  Smiley Very Happy    

Honored Contributor

I received a 1968 Thunderbird from my parents when I was 18 for Christmas.  The car wasn’t brand new. It was four years old.

Trusted Contributor

Mine gave me a bright yellow Hummer yard spinner a few years ago.

2 weeks ago he cashed in some stock and said go pick out a new car.

I got myself a Red 2017 Jeep SUV. YUP Pretty sweet.

Valued Contributor

Yes-complete surprise-drove it for 15 years and the big red bow was still in the trunk when I shipped it off to a family member. The big red bow was actually provided by the dealership.

I just ordered my husband a new car for his Christmas this year-he has 375 thousand miles on the car he’s driving now. No car payment.

But he’s only getting wool socks under the tree.

It happens.

Respected Contributor

I got a red convertible T-Bird for my anniversary one year and of course I love it and still have it. I also got a Honda Pilot one year for my birthday and it was delivered with a giant bow on it and a total surprise. It was wonderful and I am still driving it!! Both times it was such a surprise and still warms my heart that my DH did that for me!